Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 01:47 PM

562 posts, read 1,058,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
This is the paradox I find myself in as I'm saving up. I still have several years before I buy (I'm in my early 20s, but started saving for a house last year with a high interest money market account). Then I look at property values and realize it's going to be a long road before I can buy. I initially shrugged it off since I was planning on moving out of New York where housing is cheaper, but some things have come into play that may cause me to stay.

Sigh, I'm not asking for a handout of any sorts, but I sure wish home ownership was more attainable for young people on Long Island like myself who are trying to make wise, responsible choices for the future
There are programs out there to help young owners - check your town's housing authority. I know Town of Islip has programs and incentives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 02:04 PM

791 posts, read 1,623,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANM1982 View Post
There are programs out there to help young owners - check your town's housing authority. I know Town of Islip has programs and incentives.
Most of these programs only kick in at relatively low levels of income - for example, in Nassau, the dow payment assistance for first time homebuyers is only available to a single person making less than $58K per year, and a 2-person home with a income of less than $65K. If you work at a job making $40K and your spouse makes $35K or so, you're well over the income limit and aren't eligible for assistance, even though you're priced out of most of the housing in the county at that income level, and aren't really making a whole lot of money given the cost of living here.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:54 PM

715 posts, read 1,234,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoSeeker52 View Post
Most of these programs only kick in at relatively low levels of income - for example, in Nassau, the dow payment assistance for first time homebuyers is only available to a single person making less than $58K per year, and a 2-person home with a income of less than $65K. If you work at a job making $40K and your spouse makes $35K or so, you're well over the income limit and aren't eligible for assistance, even though you're priced out of most of the housing in the county at that income level, and aren't really making a whole lot of money given the cost of living here.
Same thing with Suffolk. Many of the towns and villages participate in it collectively.

We make too much money, but I gave the information to a single co-worker of mine who is tired of renting and wants to own. Hopefully it'll work out for her! She said it would cover the closing costs, according to the person she spoke to about it. You also have to take a HUD class, but most of the non-profit ones are free.

More information here: Suffolk County Government > Departments > Economic Development and Planning > Community Development > HOME Investment Partnerships Program

Old 08-21-2013, 03:49 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,431 times
Oh my goodness! I didn't know about these programs. Thanks, guys!

PS- okellies, I tried to rep you for that link, but CD says I have to spread the wealth

Old 08-22-2013, 09:26 AM

715 posts, read 1,234,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
Oh my goodness! I didn't know about these programs. Thanks, guys!

PS- okellies, I tried to rep you for that link, but CD says I have to spread the wealth
That's okay! I've been told the spread the wealth too before lol

I had no idea those things existed either. I had a friend forward it to me originally who saw it on News12.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island