Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 08:35 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,049,199 times

Advertisements

When you start talking about borrowing 4 or 5x your gross income, it should be a red flag. But, it comes down to the payment and a qualified mortgage broker will get you into a loan. Especially when you have HUD available to you.

Don't buy a coop or a condo - SFH nothing smaller than 3/1 with a basement. Don't buy at the top of your lending range making sure you account for the full payment - P&I, taxes, and homeowners. Buy a fixer in a good school district... make sure an engineer does a thorough inspection. Put 5% down and slowly fix it up as you live.

Your girlfriend will either help or hurt because of her debt and lower score. Hopefully it nets out higher than using 62k a year. Don't worry about all these people focusing on your girlfriend - why buy the cow. Good luck dude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 08:38 PM

110 posts, read 215,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
When you start talking about borrowing 4 or 5x your gross income, it should be a red flag. But, it comes down to the payment and a qualified mortgage broker will get you into a loan. Especially when you have HUD available to you.

Don't buy a coop or a condo - SFH nothing smaller than 3/1 with a basement. Don't buy at the top of your lending range making sure you account for the full payment - P&I, taxes, and homeowners. Buy a fixer in a good school district... make sure an engineer does a thorough inspection. Put 5% down and slowly fix it up as you live.

Your girlfriend will either help or hurt because of her debt and lower score. Hopefully it nets out higher than using 62k a year. Don't worry about all these people focusing on your girlfriend - why buy the cow. Good luck dude.
milk is never free...

Old 08-01-2013, 09:47 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,167,417 times
...unless your neighbor owns a cow and sleeps in late.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:35 AM

538 posts, read 1,010,914 times
Simple math here.... You want a home that cost between 300-400K. Let's split it down the middle at 350K.
You will need to put down at least 70K so you wont be paying PMI. (you said you have 90K to put down). You will need the remaining $20K (approx) for closing costs, moving, etc.
So you will now carry a 280K mortgage for 30 years at 4.375% (I just checked local credit union rates)

The monthly nut just for the mortgage is $1398. Throw in another $700 or so for taxes. (if you're lucky enough to have taxes only $8400 a year) Plus another $85 -$100 for homeowners. That brings your total now to roughly $2200. Now, add another $400-500 for utilities. Your new total $2600-$2700.
Your car payment will bring your monthly expenses to almost 3K a month. Obviously this doesn't include food, drink, medical, cable, telephone, misc expenses.

Your best bet is to look for a fixed rate 30 year mortgage. I would personally just put yourself on the mortgage. As of right now...your girlfriend is just that...a girlfriend. Once you're married, it's a different story.

Good luck...and thank you for serving this great country of ours.

Old 08-02-2013, 06:13 AM

22,723 posts, read 36,937,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoSeeker52 View Post
This is silly - you can buy a home with someone you're not married to (ask any gay couple who couldn't marry until recently in New York), you just need to do a lot more legal paperwork, and should consult with a good real estate lawyer to make sure you've planned for all contingencies (i.e. What happens if you break up? If one of you passes away suddenly? If you both pass away suddenly?) and have an agreement in place that covers it all. The legal bills will be higher than they would be if you were married (since being married creates default rules to be followed in situations of break up or death), but it's doable if you are committed to buying a home together without marrying.

THe problem is most people won't bother with legal protections and it is a HUGE mess to undo the issues. And it's almost always a case where one person is a high earner or has better credit or is saddled with debt or whatever. It's just dumb to take that on without legal protection, but bringing up "let's see a lawyer" opens a can of worms - these are two people who can't or won't make the union legal, let's remember that.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:41 PM

26 posts, read 56,173 times
Have you looked in Levittown? Not sure if it meets the criteria of being close enough to the Suffolk border, but you can get a house for under 300k that's not a complete mess:

6 Bell Ln, Levittown, NY 11756 - Zillow
25 Family Ln, Levittown, NY 11756 - Zillow

I recently bought a house in Levittown for $370k with 3.5% down and I'm paying around 3200 (includes some extra principal) every month. This does NOT include utilities. I make around 100k and my wife makes about 45k. To be honest, it still feels tight even with our combined salary.

My advice is to go as cheap as possible without moving into something you despise.

Old 08-02-2013, 02:35 PM

34,197 posts, read 47,513,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msarran View Post
Have you looked in Levittown? Not sure if it meets the criteria of being close enough to the Suffolk border, but you can get a house for under 300k that's not a complete mess:

I recently bought a house in Levittown for $370k with 3.5% down and I'm paying around 3200 (includes some extra principal) every month. This does NOT include utilities. I make around 100k and my wife makes about 45k. To be honest, it still feels tight even with our combined salary.

My advice is to go as cheap as possible without moving into something you despise.
Hey in the Family Lane house, is that a fridge right next to the front door? How convenient! I can come in from work and instantly grab a cold one....

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-02-2013, 02:36 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,730,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Hey in the Family Lane house, is that a fridge right next to the front door? How convenient! I can come in from work and instantly grab a cold one....
That's the first thing I noticed too!

Old 08-02-2013, 03:59 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,433,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msarran View Post

Wow the Bell Lane one is really nice! 1 bathroom though yikes. I didnt care for the Family Lane one.

Old 08-02-2013, 04:27 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,990,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Wow the Bell Lane one is really nice! 1 bathroom though yikes. I didnt care for the Family Lane one.
The Bell Lane house looks like it is 30 or 40 feet wide lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island