Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 07:20 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,995,880 times

Advertisements

Portland and Seattle are on the pricey side for anything decent.

Two words:

Chesterfield County, VA - Central VA

Specifically, Midlothian, VA

Check it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 07:58 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,806,426 times
We moved to Pittsburgh and love it. While we are a little younger than you and still are working and have kids, the cost of living here is wonderful. If you have a chance, come on down and explore.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:00 PM

418 posts, read 1,070,220 times
Your top 3 choices would have been my top choices too, if I were to do this!
Maybe adding Colorado and Vermont.
Have been to Austin, Portland and Seattle and like them all three - progressive, do not feel like "Narayama" (aka Florida) - a place to go to in the pre-death stage . Don't know about tax-optimal. Out of these, would lean most towards Austin - sun is better for the brain than gloomy days.

But for practical reasons, it may make sense, while still here, to reach out (online, as most things happen online these days) and maybe look for a partner in the couple of pre-selected locations.
It will make more sense, if by chance you find someone there who makes such a move so much more worthwhile...
Good luck!

Old 03-04-2013, 06:13 PM

15 posts, read 28,734 times
Thank you everyone for your suggestions and kind wishes. I'll definitely take your advice and thoughts and add it to my research. I have to say I got a kick out of the "50 is the new 30" ...TYVM VA Yankee! But, to be honest, the last few years have really kicked my ###, so I've feel like I've been ageing in dog, not human, years.

As hard as leaving Long Island will be, I know I won't miss opening my heating oil/LIPA/property tax bills, and you know, whimpering and having to breath in and out of a paper bag !!

Enjoy the sunny day tomorrow...I hear more snow/storms may hit Wednesday...let's hope that's the last of that. Happy Pre-St. Paddys!!!

Old 03-05-2013, 12:50 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,312,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Portland and Seattle are on the pricey side for anything decent.

Two words:

Chesterfield County, VA - Central VA

Specifically, Midlothian, VA

Check it out.
OMG!

If she likes BLOWHARD former LI'ers, she should move there. Otherwise ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: