Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 11:29 AM

189 posts, read 633,077 times

Advertisements

Anybody get stuck in that horrible Northbound traffic on the Meadowbrook this morning? It took me over 2 hours to get to work! My normal commute is is usually 25 minutes. I am not going to make my decision of leaving based on one experience. it's just that, traffic seems to be getting worse and worse. It's been horrible for the past few weeks!!

I actually can't take it anymore and I'm thinking of actually relocating my life back to the city where I can get rid of my car.

Something seriously needs to be done. I think the main problem with the Island is that everything is such a sprawl.

Was the Island designed the wrong way? I wish nassau and suffolk both had Central commercial areas with mass transit connecting both of them and going to the city. I am tired of this sprawls and pockets of density with no real mass transit plan anywhere. Going north and south in Nassau is a nightmare!!

Think of all those office buildings that are in Melville. Wouldn't it be better if they were all together in a walkable area with the LIRR nearby? Instead you need a car to get to any of them and if you want to leave the building, you have to hope in your car just to get freakin lunch.

I am starting to really hate Long Island and I defend it all the time.

ugh.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 11:41 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,861,461 times
It needs more Railways , unfortunately there is no space for them anymore and they'll have to be built above the wide Highways and Boulevards. Thailand does this and a few over countries yes its expensive but it does pay off with slowly reducing traffic congestion. It also needs a network of Smart highways and Transit Developments. LI has been slow in the TOD dept , unlike the rest of the region.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:43 AM

189 posts, read 633,077 times
People here don't want any transient oriented development here. They think it's going to turn the Island into "Queens" well, I lived in Queens for 12 years before I moved back to the Island and I have to say, my quality of life was actually better in that county. I lived off Queens Blvd and I actually hit LESS traffic than what I do on the Meadowbrook and around Nassau.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:54 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,861,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony314 View Post
People here don't want any transient oriented development here. They think it's going to turn the Island into "Queens" well, I lived in Queens for 12 years before I moved back to the Island and I have to say, my quality of life was actually better in that county. I lived off Queens Blvd and I actually hit LESS traffic than what I do on the Meadowbrook and around Nassau.
Well , there in for a rude awaking. Entire NJ cities are building TOD downtowns around there train stations , if they can do it here i'm sure LI can do it. When you have less traffic , you have less stress , you live longer and stonger...

Old 10-05-2010, 11:54 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,708,355 times
Anytime you people who drive to work want to trade with a LIRR commuter, you will have many takers. I don't like driving in traffic but lets face it...you are comfortable in your car, no blond brainless soccer mom yacking on a cell phone in the seat next to you, your satellite radio playing your favorite music, your coffee in the car mug all nice and warm, and your two hour commute (on a bad day) barely longer than a commuters time on a good day.

Stop complaining.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:55 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,748,398 times
Quote:
Anybody get stuck in that horrible Northbound traffic on the Meadowbrook this morning? It took me over 2 hours to get to work! My normal commute is is usually 25 minutes. I am not going to make my decision of leaving based on one experience. it's just that, traffic seems to be getting worse and worse. It's been horrible for the past few weeks!!

I actually can't take it anymore and I'm thinking of actually relocating my life back to the city where I can get rid of my car.

Something seriously needs to be done. I think the main problem with the Island is that everything is such a sprawl.

Was the Island designed the wrong way? I wish nassau and suffolk both had Central commercial areas with mass transit connecting both of them and going to the city. I am tired of this sprawls and pockets of density with no real mass transit plan anywhere. Going north and south in Nassau is a nightmare!!

Think of all those office buildings that are in Melville. Wouldn't it be better if they were all together in a walkable area with the LIRR nearby? Instead you need a car to get to any of them and if you want to leave the building, you have to hope in your car just to get freakin lunch.

ugh.....
2 hours?? Wow, what town were you coming from and going to?

Old 10-05-2010, 11:55 AM

939 posts, read 2,682,084 times
The traffic was one of the factors that made us leave LI 6 years ago.

Quote:

ugh.....

Old 10-05-2010, 12:05 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,338,373 times
Meadowbrook is the worst !!

Long Island traffic eh ? Its really crazy being next to NYC and having limited access roads coming into or going out of the island. You need to wait till gas becomes $5 a gallon and you will notice the difference.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:08 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,246,818 times
I have felt that traffic has gotten better in the past few years. Driving into Manhattan there are definitely less cars on the road. That said, there certainly are days where I wish the commute was like a video game and I could smash all of the other cars off the road and out of my way but it is more the exception and also the time of day you leave.

As for the LIRR, I guess I complain less than most. Almost always an empty seat next to me and my iPod usually drowns out any annoying people or noises.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:40 PM

764 posts, read 1,554,150 times
Default Traffic

There is not much that can be done about traffic. We are on an ISLAND. The only way you can stop it is kick some people off the island.

during rush hour the LIRR pretty much runs at capacity so that wont help .

The only thing I think would help would be another commuter type line say inplace of the HOV lane.

Other than that its a space thing because of the fact we are on an island.

I have run int ojust as much traffic in other states. Moving to another state like north carolina is only temporary because everybody is moving there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island