Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 06:36 PM

2 posts, read 7,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj2013 View Post
You get 70k in vacation. That seems a bit high unless half the year on your vacation.

How bout you explain all the times when there is no work or jobs to be on, no construction projects going on. Etc ...
Not 70k, I said topping out as well. We get $17.50 every hour for vacation which you can cash every week. That's a salary in itself. And 10$ a hour in topping out. Which is a fund that you can basically take out in a emergency. There are many ways to take it out just to do it though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 06:41 PM

19,245 posts, read 17,110,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDerick View Post
I'm a local 40 Ironworker and I cleared 160k gross last year. That's not including my vacation and topping out which puts me well over $230,000. Plus pension, annuity ect.... Very profitable job if you want to put in the overtime and physical work.
There's a phrase in the Navy "choose your rate, choose your fate" it seems you have chosen well for your wallet. But with union wages like this being paid and people wonder why manufacturing chooses to go elsewhere for workers...

Old 10-03-2015, 07:26 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,411,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
There's a phrase in the Navy "choose your rate, choose your fate" it seems you have chosen well for your wallet. But with union wages like this being paid and people wonder why manufacturing chooses to go elsewhere for workers...
He's an iron worker. Not same Lazy butt sitting at a desk. Try it for a week, and see if he deserves what he gets paid. It's a risky, and physically demanding job, that WILL take it's toll on your body.

Old 10-03-2015, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
He's an iron worker. Not same Lazy butt sitting at a desk. Try it for a week, and see if he deserves what he gets paid. It's a risky, and physically demanding job, that WILL take it's toll on your body.
I am not questioning the job but with union wages as he mentioned it is no surprise that manufacturing looks elsewhere.

Old 10-03-2015, 12:30 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,266,713 times
Quote:
Kind of hard to chase away bridge and building framework workers.

The locals do pay very well for trades compared to the national average. Ironworkers paid at the 75th percentile in the US get around $30/hr or around $60K/yr. Workers in NYC are probably at the 99th percentile.

Old 10-03-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
I am not questioning the job but with union wages as he mentioned it is no surprise that manufacturing looks elsewhere.
Its ALWAYS the unions fault. Enjoy your 40hr work week and paid vaction days...Oh wait...Guess what? The union is the reason you get that.

Old 10-03-2015, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Its ALWAYS the unions fault. Enjoy your 40hr work week and paid vaction days...Oh wait...Guess what? The union is the reason you get that.
My aren't we sensitive because someone points out how labor costs get doubled maybe tripled with union labor. Can you come up with something new besides that claim to fame for the 40 hour week..

Old 10-04-2015, 06:04 AM

Quote:
My aren't we sensitive because someone points out how labor costs get doubled maybe tripled with union labor. Can you come up with something new besides that claim to fame for the 40 hour week..
Why bother? You obviously are anti union. Or just jealous. Whatever it is, better luck next time on your next career.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:48 AM

My career is fine, have a nice week at the shape up hall.

Old 10-04-2015, 11:53 AM

5,295 posts, read 4,777,306 times
Quote:
What do you think they should be paid though? 50k a year? Iron worker isn't exactly an easy or safe job. This isn't sitting in an air conditioned cubicle surfing the web or typing code 40 hours a week. Dangerous, skilled Jobs like that should be paid well IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island