Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 08:12 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,425,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Believe me. You can definitely find better people to buy from in any county! lol You found some winners right off the bat! (And I think they ARE off their bat a little! lol)
Well it was Carlisle County, don't get me wrong I have friends there, but they seems to have above the average quota of "interesting characters".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 11:45 PM

2 posts, read 11,147 times
Default Western Shores Lake KY

Hi -
Have you moved to Kentucky Lake yet? I'm emailing you because Western Shores is having quite a reduction in their lot prices and I'm wondering what kind of development they are. If you were looking at them in 2007 & 2008, but here they are in 2009 with developers needing cash and that's why they have some incredible prices, I'm wondering if you know anything more about them. Can you send up a red flag - "if it's too good a price, then look somewhere else" or is it worth taking a look at them! Thanks for your help. Their current website is - www.kylakesale.com
Thanks,
Carolyn

Your email is quoted below:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrytiredcold View Post
We have been spending summers in north-central Minnesota on a small lake and the winter in the Chicago area. We love Minnesota, but unfortunately our children/grandchildren live in Indianapolis. Just too far for frequent visits.

I would love to relocate to a warmer climate for year-round residence, be on a lake & near some shopping (grocery, etc).

I have been reading about the Murray & it seems this might be just the place. There has been an advertising blitz for lakeshore lots in the area. I am including the web address in case anyone isn't sure what I am talking about. I've been trying to find info (other than advertising) on this part of Kentucky Lake, but no luck. I was expecting to see something about the local input on area developments. Can anyone help?

Oh, the website: Kentucky Lakefront Land For Sale - Western Shores at Kentucky Lake

Old 08-01-2009, 09:14 PM

1 posts, read 8,461 times
Default Maybe I Can Help

Stray,
I don't own a lot in Western Shores, but I am somewhat familiar with it, as I have watched it develop over the last couple of years. I can't offer any answers about lot prices, restrictions, etc. as those should best come from the Western Shores people. However, I can offer some honest opinions about the Kentucky Lake Area, Murray, the Purchase Area and Calloway County. I don't know how familiar you are with the area or if you have ever been herem.

Maybe you will get a response from someone with a lot in Western Shores, but then again you may not - there are only a few houses up, and I don't know how many lots have been sold.

Personally I am very high on the area - it is certainly not perfect, but it is a very friendly, pleasant area. It has four distinct seasons, which I like. To me, the area is defined by two things - the Lake area and LBL and Murray State University. Without these two things the area would certainly not have that much interest for me.

Let me know if there are any questions I might be able to answer, or at least voice an opinion on.

Stonefingers

Old 08-13-2009, 07:06 AM

6 posts, read 64,175 times
We own a "lakefront" lot in the Meadows at Western Shores. We won't be building for a few more years, but have visited several times and met neighbors who've been living there since last summer. What info are you looking for?

Old 08-25-2009, 04:14 PM

1 posts, read 8,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idlebrook View Post
We own a "lakefront" lot in the Meadows at Western Shores. We won't be building for a few more years, but have visited several times and met neighbors who've been living there since last summer. What info are you looking for?
Although I'm not the original poster I thought I would ask a few questions since you offered

Regularly I get email flyers from KY Land Partners offering to sell lakefront lots from a certain price. This last one indicated that for ~49k you would get a lakefront lot with a dock. I'm always skeptical about these types of things and was hoping to get an outside opinion. My typical experience with any development is that you have your "Starting" price and ultimately its not what you really want, but it gets you poking around. Is this basically the case with Western Shores?

I am still fairly young (40) and am looking to retire at some point. I grew up in Northern KY (Carroll Co) and would like to retire back that way with some lake front property with a private dock. Am I really going to get that in Western Shores? Is it a community dock? Generally speaking, how large and secluded are the lots? Are there any time restrictions on builidng? I know most of these questions would be better asked of the actual offerer, but like I said, I'm skeptical at this point.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:24 AM

6 posts, read 64,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewarba View Post
Although I'm not the original poster I thought I would ask a few questions since you offered

Regularly I get email flyers from KY Land Partners offering to sell lakefront lots from a certain price. This last one indicated that for ~49k you would get a lakefront lot with a dock. I'm always skeptical about these types of things and was hoping to get an outside opinion. My typical experience with any development is that you have your "Starting" price and ultimately its not what you really want, but it gets you poking around. Is this basically the case with Western Shores?

I am still fairly young (40) and am looking to retire at some point. I grew up in Northern KY (Carroll Co) and would like to retire back that way with some lake front property with a private dock. Am I really going to get that in Western Shores? Is it a community dock? Generally speaking, how large and secluded are the lots? Are there any time restrictions on builidng? I know most of these questions would be better asked of the actual offerer, but like I said, I'm skeptical at this point.
We happened on Western Shores on one of our visits to Murray where our son goes to college. We fell in love with the lake area down there, including LBL. We, too, live in northern KY - Boone County. It's been my experience any developer is going to try to "tease" you into taking a look at what they have to offer.

We were extremely impressed with the care that's going into the development. It has all underground utilities, several large community docks, a community pool and clubhouse. I don't think there are any lots under an acre, but I could be mistaken. The interior lots all have access to a free slip in one of the community docks. You could be several miles away. The "lakefront" lots (what we own) border on the TVA elevation line but not the the water itself. They are connected along the rear of the lots in groups with a group dock already there and gravel trails leading to the docks. We share a 4 slip dock with 3 other lots and it's in deep water. Our trail is very short - maybe 500 ft. Some of the groups share with as many as 10 or 12 other properties and the trails can be as much as 1/4 mile long. Also, some of those group docks are not usable year round during winter pool, and you can't see the water from the lots, but they're still called "lakefront" - thus the quotes. I would guess that's where a $49k lot would be located. But it might be a couple of acres or more. Waterfront lots are just that - located on the water - and don't include docks. You would have to build your own. These are the expensive ones - $150k-$500k - and some of them are NOT on deep water. The lot next to us is one of these.

There are minimum house size requirements which differ depending on which type of lot you own (interior, lakefront, waterfront), rules & regulations about pretty much everything, annual dues, etc. There's a large nature area with a few miles of hiking trails and a fishing lake in one area (can't remember the name of it). The whole development is divided into sections - we're in The Meadows. Luckily, one of our neighbors has already built his home and lives there year round, so we get news firsthand. He says the people from KY Land Partners have been very easy to work with and very helpful. They also continue to develop more sections. We just got a mailing from a custom builder from Tennessee who's building his house in another section called The Peninsula.

Sorry this was so long, but we're very excited about the prospect of living the lake life there in a few more years. I'd be happy to send you some pictures privately if you'd like. Hope this helps!

Old 12-15-2009, 05:46 PM

5 posts, read 28,249 times
We have lived in the Western Shores lake community just northeast of Murray, KY since 2008 and would be happy to answer any questions you might have about the development, Murray or the surrounding area. You can contact us at - scottdw02@hotmail.com[/email]

Dave & Teresa Scott

Old 01-26-2010, 12:34 PM

Default Western Shores

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
Anyone own in Western Shores?
I have a few questions.
If you still have questions, let me know.

Dave Scott
65 Chirp Lane
Western Shores
The Meadows lot #72

Old 05-11-2010, 12:29 PM

2 posts, read 10,169 times
Owners of property in Western Shores need to be concerned about declining property values. Three years ago my wife and I purchased property within the Western Shores Community and the current assessed value of that property is now -22% less then our purchase price. We need Western Shores to maintain property integrity and not liquidate inventory.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:33 PM

Default WS Property Values

Have property and real estate values increased anywhere these days?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky