Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 01:11 PM

119 posts, read 263,736 times

Advertisements

Kygman,

I sent you a message.

Taxed in Maine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 08:46 PM

1 posts, read 5,319 times
Default Life in Murray Ky

Just came back from a trip to check out Murray Ky, thought I would get on this thread here and check out what people have to say that know about this place. I'm perplexed! I see a person who says he has wasted 28 years of his life in Murray, who I guess must be in his twenties or thirties worrying about how many heart doctors there are...guess he won't be around much longer so he won't have to worry about that anymore. And what's with his obsession about smoking in restaurants and such? Maybe all that second hand smoke is the reason is the reason he is worried about having more heart doctors in the area. Not that I agree with the second hand smoke theory.....both my wife and I smoke, I have smoked over fifty years and could probably chase him down and catch him in 50 yards. And the coal fields? I got on this thread to find out about a town and all I get is an opinion about smoking in public places and coal fields which most have been shut down since before he was born. Now let's talk about the motor vehicle problem, I guess the answer there is more police, more radar and make sure there is alot of trees so they can hide to catch speeders..... Sorry I guess I got carried away with this high end conversation that I found myself drifting into and all I wanted to know was if Murray was a decent place to live. By that I mean can you walk down the street without getting mugged? Can your wife and her friend take a walk down the road and not get raped. Do you have to have a dog, a gun in the house and an ADT alarm system to sleep comfortably at night? Come on now, let's talk about what really may be important when we talk about how good a town is or is not.

Old 08-09-2008, 07:18 AM

3,791 posts, read 8,906,096 times
Even though a good portion of your post was aimed at me, I will try and respond. First off, recent events have COMPLETELY changed my mind about Murray. I like it here and realized how much I would really miss it if I left.

Secondly, I HIGHLY doubt you can outrun me, but that is another story for another day. Next, maybe you shouldn't be speeding so then you wouldn't have to worry about the cops, now would you. They wait for a carload of troglodytes to come through with their bumpersticker that reads, "That's not how we do it up north." Now by what you mentioned, I have a pretty good idea as to which side of town you breezed in, but where will you be moving from? I have a good idea. We have WAY too many of them around the lakes area already.

Now let me answer your questions.

Getting mugged is highly unlikely, but it has happened.
Getting raped is highly unlikely, but it has happened.
Alot of people have a gun, dog, and an ADT system. We have that minus the dog.

Now what other brainbusters do you have? If you want to find somewhere that id rape and mugging free, good luck. They are all booked-up in Fantasy Land.

Old 10-05-2008, 04:03 PM

2 posts, read 8,069 times
I'm biased in favor of Murray. My parents moved there when I was 3, and although I've always thought of myself as a native, I realized in college that I really wasn't. Despite that, I always felt at home there. My father taught English at Murray State University for many years, and my observation about Murray in comparison with other small towns is that in a small university town you find the townspeople used to "outsiders" coming in and staying. They embrace them and relish the events and opportunities the university offers them. Murray State students develop an amazing loyalty to the small town and many take low paying jobs in order to remain in the area. I've lived in New Mexico and Oklahoma and now in Tennessee, and from all those perspectives, Murray still seems like a quaint, good, old fashioned town. I'd recommend it for any family seeking a small chunk of peace from the old days. Not to say there are no problems, but there's far more good than bad. Glad to be of any help to anyone with questions.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:13 PM

1 posts, read 4,850 times
I moved into the W. KY area, around the lake about 16 years ago. The beauty of the area is outstanding.

However, I would exercise caution, and take care to get good information on the neighborhood you are moving into before you move there. We are living in an area where we are surrounded by a 'sub division'. This subdivision has no rules that I know of. Someone in the neighborhood put in an rv park on his property, in a residential area!! There are crowds of people there all the time, they have loud bands playing music and drinking and drinking drivers all over the road on the weekends. The property lots are laid out so if everyone bought a lot, it would be worse than living in the middle of a city there would be so many people around. Results are lots of people on small lots with nowhere for their pets to go but in the road, and no where to park but in the road. The police rarely patrol the area unless they are called on for some reason.

Everyone has tons of dogs to keep thieves away, thusly if you have cats or any other pet...it's not good news because dogs prevail. Not to mention there is barking constantly. I have had bad experiences with dog owners in the area.

I have one neighbor that has a dog that barks all night and they never tell it to be quiet, and a visitor comes to their house with a vehicle that is so loud you can hear it all the way across the lake. I work third shift, and have trouble sleeping. When I moved here it was a relatively quiet neighborhood, but now it is not - so many people are moving into the area.
So if you think you are moving into a nice quiet neighborhood in the country next to a lake, that may or may not be so....

People in these outlying areas tend to be 'clannish'. Very rarely will they socialize with you or offer you any help in a dire situation.

I have to say that it is the most beautiful property I have ever owned, and I love the location, but the lack of police patrols, and the 'neighborhood situations' leave much to be desired.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:26 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,430,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by concordian View Post
I moved into the W. KY area, around the lake about 16 years ago. The beauty of the area is outstanding.

However, I would exercise caution, and take care to get good information on the neighborhood you are moving into before you move there. We are living in an area where we are surrounded by a 'sub division'. This subdivision has no rules that I know of. Someone in the neighborhood put in an rv park on his property, in a residential area!! There are crowds of people there all the time, they have loud bands playing music and drinking and drinking drivers all over the road on the weekends. The property lots are laid out so if everyone bought a lot, it would be worse than living in the middle of a city there would be so many people around. Results are lots of people on small lots with nowhere for their pets to go but in the road, and no where to park but in the road. The police rarely patrol the area unless they are called on for some reason.

Everyone has tons of dogs to keep thieves away, thusly if you have cats or any other pet...it's not good news because dogs prevail. Not to mention there is barking constantly. I have had bad experiences with dog owners in the area.

I have one neighbor that has a dog that barks all night and they never tell it to be quiet, and a visitor comes to their house with a vehicle that is so loud you can hear it all the way across the lake. I work third shift, and have trouble sleeping. When I moved here it was a relatively quiet neighborhood, but now it is not - so many people are moving into the area.
So if you think you are moving into a nice quiet neighborhood in the country next to a lake, that may or may not be so....

People in these outlying areas tend to be 'clannish'. Very rarely will they socialize with you or offer you any help in a dire situation.

I have to say that it is the most beautiful property I have ever owned, and I love the location, but the lack of police patrols, and the 'neighborhood situations' leave much to be desired.

What part of Western KY, because what your described sounds very exaggerated.

I've found the when "people that moved" here from someplace else come in and start talking trash, and that's what you did. Often the problem is not with the area but the person ... they've opted not to "fit" in or make friends and get along and tend to have some idealized view of how things should be. That where they "moved to" should somehow be like where they "moved from".

Not saying that's you ... just saying that anytime someone is not happy with where they live, it's generally not the area causing their unhappiness.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:41 PM

38 posts, read 152,738 times
My husband was born in Western KY.Has family there and would like to retire there.We've been looking several counties from his family and although we haven't got a place yet ,I met some very nice helpful people.I was told by several people in the courthouse (records search) and extension office that they look forward to us being in their community.Maybe because I asked about volunteering for 4H, maybe not. But I 've noticed when I've move to a new place and volunteer to help at the programs they have in place ,I get real popular,real fast.I've made several friends out of business people we've dealt with.I'm going trail riding with the lady from Ag Credit Services this fall. My daughter (horse trainer) and I are making a trip down this summer to help the county 4H er's with a little clinic.No body has made us feel unwelcome.We can't wait to get there permanently.I hope your experiences will be as good as ours.I was born and raised in Gary, Indiana the sometimes murder capital of the U.S. so I feel very safe whenever we're there!

Old 02-24-2009, 03:06 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,564,880 times
Welcome to western Ky. wayneswife! My exwife lived in Gary and said she wouldn't go back there if her life depended on it. Of course my 48 yr old ex was there in 1st grade, so... lol
Where in west Kentucky are you looking at?

Davart, the post you replied to almost sounds like a jcm wannabe, don't they?

Old 02-24-2009, 08:16 PM

38 posts, read 152,738 times
Hello! My husbands family is in Carlisle County.We've looked in Futlon (guy wanted $500 more per acre than appraisal)Carlisle ,1st guy wanted his mother to stay in the house rent free (even after we would move there),2nd guy wanted an easement, plus parking privledges, for all his farming equipment when he had a 1/4 mile road frontage.So we aren't quite there yet but we will be.I lived in Gary til I married at 19.My husband still goes 5 days a week to USSteel.We moved one county south and east.We are in the boonies for Northern Indiana. Jasper County,3 miles from the game preserve.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:24 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,564,880 times
Believe me. You can definitely find better people to buy from in any county! lol You found some winners right off the bat! (And I think they ARE off their bat a little! lol)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky