Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 09:19 AM

241 posts, read 1,336,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyUK View Post
Saying NKY is basically like Ohio is the same as saying Louisville is basically like Indiana.
Amen brother. Most people outside NKY seem to think it comprises only Boone, Kenton, and Campbell counties, which are immediately across the river from Ohio. But generally folks in Bracken, Pendleton, Grant, and Gallatin counties also consider themselves part of NKY (probably because their TV and Radio signals come out of Cincinnati). I guarantee you won't find anything remotely Ohioish about those last four counties.

If you're looking for culture, upscale shopping, professional sports, or convenient travel, NKY is the place to go. Personally, I can't stand living in urban/suburban areas, so I moved my family from Florence to the countryside outside of Falmouth. We get the benefits of privacy and peace and quiet plus a fantastic view, and we can drive to either Cincinnati or Lexington in about an hour.

If I were to move to another area of the State, I'd probably settle somewhere around Lake Cumberland. Most likely it would be the south side of the lake, which would put me closer to Tennessee and more convenient access to beer (almost all counties in south-central Kentucky are dry). Morehead might be nice as well because of Cave Run lake and nearby Red River Gorge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 09:53 AM

76 posts, read 345,085 times
Default Cadiz, KY

I live in the best place. Small, friendly town. People here wave to each other in passing. People help each other. Farmers Market 2 days a week during summer. Deer come right up in your back yard. You can see turkey and deer crossing the road as you drive. Within walking distance to Barkley Lake. "Land Between the Lakes" close by with horseback riding, hiking, bicycling, ATV trails, nature trails, 1880's home place, elk & bison praire, nature station, acres and acres of wilderness to explore. Annual Ham Festival which bring people in to our town each year for good ole country fun and music! Living in the bible belt with just about a church on every block. Dry county, which means no liquor sales. Within an hour or hour half to larger cities such as Nashville, TN and Paducah, KY. We have one of the best state parks, Lake Barkley State Resort Park. Oh, and don't forget the great fishing and hunting. We are the best kept secret in Kentucky. We also have our own radio station, WKDZ. Come visit us and see for yourself October 12,13 & 14 for our Trigg County Ham Festival.

KYHummingbird
katd@apex.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangymoose421 View Post
My husband and I are comtemplating a permanent move to Kentucky. We lived in Monticello for 7 months, and had to return home(Colorado) due to illness in the family. We found the people to be very friendly, and loved the trees and rain. We are old folks( I still work) and love hiking. No children to consider(all grown up.) Just want to find a few acres of woods within an hour or two of shopping/entertainment. We enjoy spending our time out in the woods, in the garden or behind the stove. So, to all of you great Kentuckians, if you could live anywhere in the state, where would you live? Thanks for your help! From the Colorado Mangy Moose...

Old 09-22-2007, 04:12 AM

9 posts, read 30,094 times
Keep up the good work !!! We just recently moved to an area east of
Lexington, and appreciate everyone telling people to move to Louisville.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you

Old 09-22-2007, 10:52 AM

301 posts, read 1,372,459 times
[quote=stx12499;1512545]

Quote:
Almost anyone in KY I have spoken to also considers NKY to be different from the rest of the state.
Yeah I agree it is more culturally and economically attached to Cincinnati than any other region in Kentucky.

Quote:
And yes, Louisville has many Midwestern qualities like Indiana, and I would largely say it is much more like Indiana than eastern or western KY.
What do you base this one on? How is Louisville more attached to Indiana than it's actual state Kentucky? That makes absolutely no sense to me from numerous angles.

Quote:
But I also think Louisville is very southern in many ways, and I don't feel an ounce of southern in NKY outside the Florence Ya'll sign on 75.
More Southern than anything else.

Old 09-22-2007, 04:00 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,096,009 times
[quote=Louisvilleslugger;1555043]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post

Yeah I agree it is more culturally and economically attached to Cincinnati than any other region in Kentucky.

What do you base this one on? How is Louisville more attached to Indiana than it's actual state Kentucky? That makes absolutely no sense to me from numerous angles.

More Southern than anything else.
good to see ya again Slugger!

Old 10-03-2007, 09:53 PM

13 posts, read 76,455 times
Default Kentucky Again?

Greetings

I have been spending time over in the Washington state thread considering a move there and decided to check back in on our other pick - Kentucky.

First, a comment on NKY. I grew up in Carroll County until we moved to FL when I was 17. Several years have passed since then but my parents moved back to Carrollton for 6 1/2 years and it sort of caught us up on the changes, etc. Carrollton is about 45 minutes from Florence area and also Louisville. Both areas were visited by my family on a regular basis. The outer counties of KY (those not the northern border counties mentioned in other posts regarding Covington, Florence area) are different and are more rural in lifestyle with close communities - not a bad thing. Louisville seems to have changed majorly over the years and become a more hip metro area although holding on to some southern roots while Lexington area has some more interesting flips. It seems that the Lexington region has more traditional "what we knew" of KY but with a more liberal mind to things by the people at least in town - if that makes sense in my broad generalization description. We prefer the Lexington geography - we also love Richmond and Berea - my dad's birthplace but it is too far to "town" per se. I believe KY is a great place to live, raise family and grow older! We just haven't been able to find just exactly what part move to yet. Lexington may be the place if it is not too liberal.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:41 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,762,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterin_fl View Post
Greetings

I have been spending time over in the Washington state thread considering a move there and decided to check back in on our other pick - Kentucky.

First, a comment on NKY. I grew up in Carroll County until we moved to FL when I was 17. Several years have passed since then but my parents moved back to Carrollton for 6 1/2 years and it sort of caught us up on the changes, etc. Carrollton is about 45 minutes from Florence area and also Louisville. Both areas were visited by my family on a regular basis. The outer counties of KY (those not the northern border counties mentioned in other posts regarding Covington, Florence area) are different and are more rural in lifestyle with close communities - not a bad thing. Louisville seems to have changed majorly over the years and become a more hip metro area although holding on to some southern roots while Lexington area has some more interesting flips. It seems that the Lexington region has more traditional "what we knew" of KY but with a more liberal mind to things by the people at least in town - if that makes sense in my broad generalization description. We prefer the Lexington geography - we also love Richmond and Berea - my dad's birthplace but it is too far to "town" per se. I believe KY is a great place to live, raise family and grow older! We just haven't been able to find just exactly what part move to yet. Lexington may be the place if it is not too liberal.
When it comes to liberal, amenities, and hip metro, there is no place in KY like Louisville. By far the largest metro in the state, its going to offer things you simply cant find in Lexington. You should keep that in mind probably.

Old 10-05-2007, 05:47 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,096,009 times
I believe he said not too liberal

Old 10-05-2007, 06:21 AM

384 posts, read 1,132,981 times
Living in Kenton County in NKY, I can testify that at times I considered myself as living in the outskirts of Cincinnati. I guess because my father worked there, and we went into Cincinnati all the time to get to Kings Island. I also liked Cincinnati for the museum, and other places of culture.

Old 10-08-2007, 05:35 PM

156 posts, read 631,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
When it comes to liberal, amenities, and hip metro, there is no place in KY like Louisville. By far the largest metro in the state, its going to offer things you simply cant find in Lexington. You should keep that in mind probably.
He said it not me... this is the difference between Louisville and NKY (and Lex for that matter). Hence, if you voted for John Kerry in the last election, maybe you should move to the "hip metro" area of Lousiville... ppphhaaaaaaaaa. Those words are definately not going to characterize the gold ol boys around here, i'll tell you that right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky