Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 05:00 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times

Advertisements

Convenient access to a larger community with more opportunities (cultural, educational, medical, entertainment) might be a consideration for you. Lawrenceburg is about a half an hour from Lexington, which is much larger and a regional center for all of the above. Greenville is not as conveniently located, but is a pleasant place.

Lawrenceburg is a pretty little town, as is Greenville, but check out Berea and Danville as well. Each is within an hour or less of Lexington and both are college towns, while retaining their small-town feel and friendly citizenry. Each has a very distinctive character - Danville seems "old south" and has some neat museums and historic sites plus an annual brass band festival, while Berea, on the edge of the mountains, is an arts/crafts/traditional music and dance center, with several big craft fairs each year plus major traditional music and dance weeks and weekends. There's a lot of online info about both Danville and Berea, probably less about Lawrenceburg and Greenville...

Good luck with your plans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 02:15 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
I've probably responed to this thread before, but here goes If I stay in Kentucky here would be my top choices

Metro Lexington
* Wilmore, or some old farm house btw Wilmore and Lex. Not a snowball's chance in hell I'd put my (future) kids in Lex Public Schools, plus they bus kids 30 minutes away. No thanks. I love the scenery and historic charm of Wilmore. Looks like someplace in the Irish countryside, and now has good access to Lex with the now 4 laned US 58

Metro Louisville
* Clifton/ Crescent Hill/ St Matthews. Great shopping, pre WW2 architecture, low crime. Close to downtown

Metro Northern Kentucky
* Fort Thomas - LOVE that victorian architecture and great schools
or
* Fort Wright/ Park Hills - great architecture, lower taxes and better schools just outside Downtown Cincy and Covington

If I moved to the Ohio side then definitely Wyoming, Reading, Deer Park, or Blue Ash. I wish KY's city had neighborhood school districts like those places in OH do. It's hard to believe those suburbs have such great Victorian buildings (or pre WW2 bungalows) being 10 miles from Downtown.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:28 PM

1 posts, read 4,517 times
I've lived in louisville for almost 4 years now.
I personally haven't had a bad experience yet.
I've made plenty of wonderful friends & almost everyone I come in contact with is polite.
I've yet to have one person say to me "you're not from around here, are ya".
I'll agree that there are some not so appealing neighborhoods, but every city has it's fair share of those.
As for musicians, other than country or whatever it is you said, not wanting to stop in louisville -- that is totally false.
I've personally been to many fantastic rock shows, and from what I can see plenty of hip-hop/r&b as well as pop stars stop in frequently.
There is plenty to do in Louisville, and the rivalry between the two colleges is something that our city -- or state however you want to look at it, enjoys. So of course we're going to watch the games. Duh!
Also, the art scene is actually bigger than you thing.
It's obvious you didn't truly explore the city, because if in fact you had, you would have found that this is a great city to work as well as go to school in.
I absolutely love it here, I think any open-minded, well-rounded individual would agree if they explored the city.

Old 09-25-2011, 05:09 PM

7 posts, read 13,065 times
Smile Madison County & Berea, KY

I lived in Richmond 3-1/2 years and would still be there if I hadn't had to move back to WI for loss-of-job and family reasons (I'm stuck in Green Bay, WI now--which I wouldn't recommend!). I've seen and researched most of Kentucky at one time or another, and still think Madison County is a good compromise. However, if I move back it will be to Berea--which is absolutely my favorite place in Kentucky! I like the preserved historic downtown, the liveliness of a college town while still being quiet and laid-back overall, and the distant view of the mountains. It is a bit too far away for a commute to Lexington everyday (for me at least), but that is also one of the reasons housing and property are so very affordable. Five stars for Berea!

Old 10-03-2011, 09:40 AM

10 posts, read 32,277 times
What would ya'll say for a cuban family of 5and a pitbull from florida to louisville or lex?always had city but i think that 4 seasons,good people and great food is more important!hehe also worried about finding work ......

Old 10-06-2011, 10:31 PM

7 posts, read 16,293 times
we are also trying to move to ky it is beautiful. but how to find a house from a different state?

Old 10-10-2011, 02:10 PM

174 posts, read 540,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miduisa View Post
What would ya'll say for a cuban family of 5and a pitbull from florida to louisville or lex?always had city but i think that 4 seasons,good people and great food is more important!hehe also worried about finding work ......
Louisville has the largest Cuban population in the USA away from the coasts, outside Chicago, and east of the Mississippi. It's something to be proud of and to encourage further.

Interactive Map Showing Immigration Data Since 1880 - Interactive Graphic - NYTimes.com

Tell your relatives in Florida to come on up here, we have a vibrant Cuban community in Louisville.

Last edited by Cthulhu7; 10-10-2011 at 03:13 PM..

Old 06-26-2012, 04:08 PM

1 posts, read 3,408 times
Danville is nice and little and Lexington is bigger but a very clean, smart town Rand McNally was actually in Danville last weekend to rate it.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:37 PM

833 posts, read 1,714,244 times
Williamsburg

Old 01-27-2017, 10:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,039 times
Default tn

i like living in kingsport,tn been here about a year. affordable housing,jobs, and lots of churchs and parks to meet people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky