Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 04:18 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlschr0 View Post
Proud of that new Sephora, eh? FWIW, there is a Macy's in Lexington, also.

Chainwise, I would love a Trader Joe's and IKEA, but...
Sephora is not really a huge deal. It is located in many smaller cities than Louisville. However, Louisville's new Sephora and Apple store will help it land more high end stores at Oxmoor. If you watch retail trends, these are generally two of the early stores you see in a mall transitioning towards very high end. Louisville is about to get alot more major chains. Trader Joe's has plans for 3 metro area stores and will announce in the next year. Louisville's mayor recently got back from Las Vegas courting Nordstrom and Crate and Barrel among others. I would expect these stores in the market in the near term.

The Macy's in Lexington carries no where near the selection compared to the one in Louisville at Oxmoor. The Macy's in Lexington is more comprable to the Macy's at Jefferson Mall in South Louisville. Also, Lexington has nothing like the Von Maur in Louisville, which is the highest end one in the chain. Of course there is more boutiques in Louisville, places like Rodes where I can try on and buy Canali suits for work.

Although Louisville will get Trader Joe's soon, there is currently one in Cincinnati. Also, the north suburbs of Cincinnati will have an IKEA open by 2009 (one of the first in Midwest outside Chicago). The Cincinnati location was chosen because of its central location to three large cities: Louisville, Indianapolis, and Columbus, and two tertiary cities being Dayton and Lexington. I think Trader Joe's and IKEA are the only two chains worth traveling for, otherwise I support local boutiques and locally owned businesses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 04:23 PM

688 posts, read 3,037,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Sephora is not really a huge deal. It is located in many smaller cities than Louisville. However, Louisville's new Sephora and Apple store will help it land more high end stores at Oxmoor. If you watch retail trends, these are generally two of the early stores you see in a mall transitioning towards very high end. Louisville is about to get alot more major chains. Trader Joe's has plans for 3 metro area stores and will announce in the next year. Louisville's mayor recently got back from Las Vegas courting Nordstrom and Crate and Barrel among others. I would expect these stores in the market in the near term.

The Macy's in Lexington carries no where near the selection compared to the one in Louisville at Oxmoor. The Macy's in Lexington is more comprable to the Macy's at Jefferson Mall in South Louisville. Also, Lexington has nothing like the Von Maur in Louisville, which is the highest end one in the chain. Of course there is more boutiques in Louisville, places like Rodes where I can try on and buy Canali suits for work.

Although Louisville will get Trader Joe's soon, there is currently one in Cincinnati. Also, the north suburbs of Cincinnati will have an IKEA open by 2009 (one of the first in Midwest outside Chicago). The Cincinnati location was chosen because of its central location to three large cities: Louisville, Indianapolis, and Columbus, and two tertiary cities being Dayton and Lexington. I think Trader Joe's and IKEA are the only two chains worth traveling for, otherwise I support local boutiques and locally owned businesses.
Yep - we make a regular trek to Cincinnati to Trader Joe's and Jungle Jim's. The Trader Joe reps have spent some time negotiating in Lexington recently, so I am keeping my fingers crossed. A Crate and Barrel would be great - I've missed that one too.

Old 05-30-2007, 04:25 PM

329 posts, read 1,099,135 times
I just love your posts stx.... I hope this doesn't sound too terribly sexist.. but you have some of the most informative, interesting, factual posts I've had the pleasure to read "by a man".. (how sexist is that?)... Hope you don't take offense city-slicker.. LOL :cP~

Old 05-30-2007, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiree253 View Post
I just love your posts stx.... I hope this doesn't sound too terribly sexist.. but you have some of the most informative, interesting, factual posts I've had the pleasure to read "by a man".. (how sexist is that?)... Hope you don't take offense city-slicker.. LOL :cP~
Ha! Hey now! I am an academic, and thus I enjoy to read. So yes, I am full of a lot of facts. Many people don't like that, but hey, its me.

Old 05-31-2007, 11:39 AM

14 posts, read 40,067 times
Thumbs up Breckinridge County Kentucky is the best place

When we first moved here from Florida, someone asked me "How did you find our sleepy little secret town?" Well, we wanted to live near Louisville, but didn't want the city life, so settled for an hour away and love it! Breckinridge County is the perfect place and acreage is so cheap and taxes are low and crime is low and the schools are very good.

Old 06-01-2007, 03:46 PM

389 posts, read 1,656,346 times
I can only recommend Danville because I live here.maybe Louisville on the outskirts and near Nicholisville.just don't know about those other places enough to really say anything useful.

Old 06-02-2007, 06:26 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
I grew up in Chicago. Five years ago I moved to Louisville, Kentucky, because the natural scenery of Kentucky is gorgeous and varied. I like to go camping.
Before moving I knew it would be different, but how big of a chasm between Louisville and Chicago became evident after the first year. I have since regretted my move. The problems I find are; no window to the outside world; too much of a preoccupation with football and basketball; too many people who have guns; too much religion and constant talk of morals; too much blind loyalty to conservatism, lack of interesting radio and TV stations; scoffing at "book learning"; little interest for culture (movies, music, arts, etc); dull food; lack of decent jobs that pay a liveable wage.
I've never lived anywhere where so many grown adults have such a problem with 5th grade english. I have nothing against the accent, sometimes I find it appealing, but it would be great to hear correct grammar. To me it seems absurd to drive thru the eastern part of Kentucky which has a poverty rate of 25%, to look at the run down trailers or small houses, but in front are flags, biblical quotes on signs, and vote Bush/Cheney stickers. It bothers me to see people who are getting shafted being so supportive of those who give them the shaft. Also, the people assume that I should have a fanatical loyalty to either the U of Louisville or U of Kentucky sports teams. When the two meet in football or basketball the whole state stops everything to watch. It's the main event of the year.
But it's not all bad. I have met interesting people, but not very often. Most are friendly, but I avoid any conversations about politics or religion. I have been to France several times and like the country, but I wouldn't dare mention that in Kentucky.
I don't vote Republican, don't own guns, I am an aethiest, don't believe Rush, don't drink Bud Light, don't desire to own a Harley, and all that indicates that the South is not for people like me. But I'm stuck here for a while.
If anyone remembers, the media spectacle called Justice Sunday happened in Louisville. The newly built Creation Museum is in Kentucky. In 2008 the NRA will hold its annual convention in Louisville. One thing I've noticed is that music groups don't have concerts in Kentucky, other than Country, Southern Boogie or Kid Rock. Art exhibits detour Kentucky. How Louisville can financially maintain a symphony orchestra is beyond me. The guest list for the recent Kentucky Derby was mostly pro athletes and run-of-the-mill actors from TV shows, such as soap operas. Even the Louisville Courier-Journal termed it a b-list of guests.
For lack of culture the Features section fo the Courier-Journal has little more to report other than recipes and fashion tips. Once, as I purchased a copy of the New York Times, the clerk sneered at me.
The people are not mean and nasty, they are easy to engage in pleasant conversation, but I have become cautious about what I say. Most people are honest. To my surprise, the poorest counties have the lowest crime rates. I have also met Souhterners who were very informed about current world events, thought the Bush administration was corrupt, appreciated the arts, and had thorough knowledge of foreign films.
I'm sure there are many Southerners who cringe at being unfairly stereotyped, and I sincerely apologize to them. I only wish I could meet more of you.

Old 06-02-2007, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I grew up in Chicago. Five years ago I moved to Louisville, Kentucky, because the natural scenery of Kentucky is gorgeous and varied. I like to go camping.
Before moving I knew it would be different, but how big of a chasm between Louisville and Chicago became evident after the first year. I have since regretted my move. The problems I find are; no window to the outside world; too much of a preoccupation with football and basketball; too many people who have guns; too much religion and constant talk of morals; too much blind loyalty to conservatism, lack of interesting radio and TV stations; scoffing at "book learning"; little interest for culture (movies, music, arts, etc); dull food; lack of decent jobs that pay a liveable wage.
I've never lived anywhere where so many grown adults have such a problem with 5th grade english. I have nothing against the accent, sometimes I find it appealing, but it would be great to hear correct grammar. To me it seems absurd to drive thru the eastern part of Kentucky which has a poverty rate of 25%, to look at the run down trailers or small houses, but in front are flags, biblical quotes on signs, and vote Bush/Cheney stickers. It bothers me to see people who are getting shafted being so supportive of those who give them the shaft. Also, the people assume that I should have a fanatical loyalty to either the U of Louisville or U of Kentucky sports teams. When the two meet in football or basketball the whole state stops everything to watch. It's the main event of the year.
But it's not all bad. I have met interesting people, but not very often. Most are friendly, but I avoid any conversations about politics or religion. I have been to France several times and like the country, but I wouldn't dare mention that in Kentucky.
I don't vote Republican, don't own guns, I am an aethiest, don't believe Rush, don't drink Bud Light, don't desire to own a Harley, and all that indicates that the South is not for people like me. But I'm stuck here for a while.
If anyone remembers, the media spectacle called Justice Sunday happened in Louisville. The newly built Creation Museum is in Kentucky. In 2008 the NRA will hold its annual convention in Louisville. One thing I've noticed is that music groups don't have concerts in Kentucky, other than Country, Southern Boogie or Kid Rock. Art exhibits detour Kentucky. How Louisville can financially maintain a symphony orchestra is beyond me. The guest list for the recent Kentucky Derby was mostly pro athletes and run-of-the-mill actors from TV shows, such as soap operas. Even the Louisville Courier-Journal termed it a b-list of guests.
For lack of culture the Features section fo the Courier-Journal has little more to report other than recipes and fashion tips. Once, as I purchased a copy of the New York Times, the clerk sneered at me.
The people are not mean and nasty, they are easy to engage in pleasant conversation, but I have become cautious about what I say. Most people are honest. To my surprise, the poorest counties have the lowest crime rates. I have also met Souhterners who were very informed about current world events, thought the Bush administration was corrupt, appreciated the arts, and had thorough knowledge of foreign films.
I'm sure there are many Southerners who cringe at being unfairly stereotyped, and I sincerely apologize to them. I only wish I could meet more of you.

I think most of what you say are stereotypes, but hey, that is your opinion. If you can't find well educated people in the city of Louisville, you aren't trying too hard. There is culture all over. Every coffee shop I go to on Bardstown Road has a copy of the New York Times in it. Again, I would be surprised if someone sneered at you for buying it, but even if they did, that is an isolated incident. Sure, it is no Chicago, but that is apples and oranges. May I ask where in the city that you live that is so conservative? I for one know many areas that are quite the opposite! And FYI, Louisville voted democratic in the last election, and based on election results, the suburbs of Louisville are no more conservative than the suburbs of Chicago. That is, affluent suburbanites know where their tax breaks come from, and that is their man George Bush (I personally can't stand the man or his policies)!

Louisville has plenty of concerts, so I am not sure what you are talking about there. Did you see the Rolling Stones at Churchill Downs? How about Sting coming up? There are tons more as you know. Louisville has a very lively arts scene so again, you are off there as well. Dull restaurants? Louisville has one of the top rated restaurant scenes in America outside the 10 largest cities. Not many cities this size have four diamond restaurants and places that get written up in national reviews.

As far as eastern KY goes, it is a beautiful area. It is not the best economically, but you had blinders on if all you thought it was all run down trailers. Seriously, that is a gross stereotype! There are several people on these boards from EKY, and they are quite intelligent, thank you!

I could make several generalizations about Chicago...I lived there! But it is not worth it, its a great city. In fact, the Chicago-Tribune writes about Louisville as a great vacation spot every few months. Here is the most recent article from April...quite a different take on the city than yours!

Loo-UH-vul or Loo--EE-ville? | Chicago Tribune

Old 06-02-2007, 08:10 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
I appreciate your response and the points you made. I live in the Southside not far from Iroquois Park. Yes, I know that Bardstown Road in Louisville is a world of difference. I try to get down there every once in a while for a badly needed breath of fresh air. But it is a drive I don't want to do everyday. Living in that region is currently beyond my financial means. I have often thought about moving to that area.
I didn't say all Kentuckians are uneducated. I have met several interesting people with whom I could talk about a variety of subjects, and not have to be overly cautious. It's not easy to meet such people. Actually, sometimes I go to a local bar which can be called redneck, blue-collar, whatever. But I like it. The people there are at least 30 or older and they are friendly. They play old country music on the jukebox and I can talk and laugh with them. But I would never try to talk to them about politics or religion.
I'll check the Chicago Tribune article as soon as I have the time. Thanks for the connection.
Two years ago I had a job which assigned me for 5 months of driving a regular route in Eastern Kentucky. Every day I saw Pikeville, Prestonsburg, Elkhorn City, Martin, and South Willaimson by the West Virgina border. Some of the places looked very bleak and depressing, especially on a drab, rainy November day. I find it depressing that so much of that area is neglected by politicians who could allocate funding and projects to improve their lives. But the government apparently doesn't care very much, and certainly, people on the fringes of poverty have little voice for lobbying purposes.
Like I said, the people I've met are for the most part, honest and friendly. Then, maybe it's me that is nasty. Anyway, I feel like a martian in Kentucky.

Old 06-02-2007, 08:13 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,425,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
You like to cut and paste don't you? I just read these same post on another thread. DEJA VU!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky