Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 07:59 PM

54 posts, read 116,418 times

Advertisements

I've seen some posts touch on this topic, but not in depth...

My family and I are agnostic, not religious...We are very DIS enchanted with NM (the land of enchantment--ha!) mostly because of the massive influx of illegals and gangs, not to mention ridiculous housing prices.

We have friends in KY who think it is wonderful, and we are considering relocating there. (I'm an English teacher, he's in HVAC). How important is religion to folks in Kentucky?

We've heard about Benton (KKK? Really?) and other smaller towns; we like the idea of a safe, affordable, family oriented area (who doesn't?) but we don't want to feel out of place or persecuted. We DON'T want anyone praying for our souls, ya know? It's hard enough to be the only white people in town (welcome to NM!); we don't want to exchange one square peg with another, so to speak. Would we be the only agnostics in town? Would they have vigils outside our home? Or is there still a place where kind-hearted non-judgemental respectful responsible people live, and let others live? Could that place be somewhere in Kentucky?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 06:11 AM

407 posts, read 1,263,486 times
Here is what my husband says on this and he was born and raised in Kentucky. He is also agnostic and I practice "other". As well, we are retiring to Kentucky. Most Kentucky people, regardless of their own beliefs leave other people alone. He says that it is a case of live and let live. Now, you probably don't need to go around boasting about your beliefs or trying to convince others to believe the way you do but I don't see people holding vigils outside your home. Contrary to popular belief, the people of Kentucky are neither backwards nor stupid and not religious fanatics. In fact, after living here in the DC area for the last 11 years, I find Kentucky people to be bright, well informed, extremely literate, friendly and more educated than people in this area. We are both sick and tired of the rude and rather stupid people who live here on the East Coast and I find it quite refreshing when we visit Kentucky because I feel like I am once again around "real people." If the local church people decide to stop by my door in the hopes of converting me, they would be welcome. No, I can't be converted, but who doesn't need all the prayers they can get these days?

Old 10-26-2009, 07:28 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,788,118 times
Benton is a lovely town, IMHO.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:48 AM

Beilart, thank you for your reply. It was just what we had hoped to hear. What else can you tell me about the area? Where did your husband live? How are outdoor activities? Open spaces and parks?

Sundance, someone on this board mentioned the KKK in Benton. How bad is it? Part of why we are moving is to be near people who share our culture (we are tired of being an overlooked minority here in NM), but as I mentioned above, I've got no time--or patience---for hatred. Or ignorance. How do race relations and attitudes about different races stand in Kentucky?

Last edited by goobersmoochers; 10-26-2009 at 09:49 AM.. Reason: clarify

Old 10-26-2009, 10:18 AM

Hubby grew up in the Covington area. He his 62 now and has not lived there in many years but we are most definitely retiring there. We found a little lake house in Grayson County on Lake Nolin that we are considering but have also found another one outside of Bardstown which we both fell in love with. Just the idea of Nelson County and the Bourbon Festival made him sit up with a smile. We are making a quick trip early November to get this house in New Haven, KY before someone else snatches it up. You can't beat Kentucky for outdoor areas not to mention low cost of living, cheap property taxes and friendly people. Hubby says fishing in Kentucky lake is to die for. You will find poor race relations and ignorance in all states. Even right here in Maryland there is one town I will not mention that people call "Klan Kountry" which we both find pathetic as we too have no time for hatred. If you want rude, intolerant people just come to Maryland. Kentucky has nothing on this place.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:36 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,788,118 times
Quote:
Sundance, someone on this board mentioned the KKK in Benton. How bad is it? Part of why we are moving is to be near people who share our culture (we are tired of being an overlooked minority here in NM), but as I mentioned above, I've got no time--or patience---for hatred. Or ignorance. How do race relations and attitudes about different races stand in Kentucky?
The KKK in Benton? I haven't seen them yet.

I've lived here since about 2004, except for brief sojourns out-of-state. True, Marshall County is mostly white people - but that's what you said you wanted, correct? There are some blacks around here and they're not mistreated.

I imagine there is much more racism in the area you are now living in, than Benton, KY! Benton is a small, quiet little town. Mostly white.

Old 10-26-2009, 01:49 PM

Thanks for the info, both of you. Keep it coming. Yes, without sounding rascist, we want to find more people like us (in culture not so much color) because we are feeling very isolated and unwanted here. (I know, waaaah, waaaaah......) We don't mind others, but sometimes they mind us, you know? It's sounding more and more like Kentucky is the place for us...My husband LOVES to fish! And I love to sit on the bank and just....be.

Old 10-26-2009, 02:12 PM

Not wanting to live in a diverse community does not make anyone racist. It simply means you want to be around people with which you have more in common. I am a Democrat which means I have more in common with my Democratic friends than I do with my Republican friends. It doesn't mean I don't like them, I just don't want to be around them 24/7. I think you can safely use the same analogy for any ethnic group or religious group. If you live in an area where you are in the minority, after a while, you long to be where you are more comfortable and it is as simple as that. Yes, sometimes "others" do mind you. All the more reason to leave.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:17 PM

Thank you. You don't know how much better you have made me feel about my desire to move---and the reasons for it. I appreciate it. (I know I'm not a hater, but it is difficult to say things like this without sounding like I am...I'm glad you get it.) And you are so right...I never really thought about it like that. I want to be around people who share similiarities, and some of those similiarities happen to be simply cultural, some have to do with political and religious reasons. I want to be around people who share similiar hobbies, and likes and dislikes....wow. It's an epiphany. Where did this guilt come from?

Old 10-26-2009, 03:56 PM

As bad as I hate to say it, it is called "white guilt" which should be long over by now and isn't. At the risk of getting into a racial discussion and being banned by the mods, I will just leave it at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky