Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 06:28 PM

9 posts, read 24,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobersmoochers View Post
Hi, nokygirl. I guess we were simultaneously typing. Thanks for the input. I expected to get people started praying for me (it happens every time, god love 'em! You'd think I'd be converted by now!) I just want to know if it will happen MORE in Kentucky, than, say, Texas, where I lived for years, and New Mexico, where I'm from. We have our "pockets" too; I can deal with a bit more of the same, but I just don't want to deal with a LOT more. The prayers and genuine concern I can handle, the hate and the judgement cloaked in "brotherly love" I can do without. Oh, and the thinly veiled threats of "but if you're wrong...." are just not working for me.
The way I'm reading this thread is - you just MIGHT have some trouble. You see, you're not willing to just "be" a person - you WANT to be known as an agnostic and are very proud of it. The way I see a merging into any Kentucky community is to be a person and NOT a religion denyer. The reason Church is a social activity for so many, is different churches encourage get togethers and to socialize among fellow "church people" - you will find plenty of people who do not attend church but may eye anyone with some suspicion when they announce that they don't "believe" - but having lived all over the USA that would be true anywhere. So, if you are GOING to make this an issue - guess what? It WILL be an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 06:31 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,789,491 times
Quote:
Any one else? How will we fit in in KY, if we PROMISE not to shove our lack of religion down anyone's throat?
With your attitude, I don't think you would fit in in KY - or anywhere else. If you go somewhere with a boulder-sized chip on your shoulder, looking for a fight, that's what you'll find.

Seriously, do you really think EVERYBODY in KY, in EVERY town, goes to church???? What do you think "they" are going to do to you?

I don't even know whether you are for real, or just trying to put people on......

You probably just need to stay put, if you get into this big of a lather before you even get here and see anything to get offended about. Good grief.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:46 PM

54 posts, read 116,446 times
My goodness! Can you really not tell that I'm not angry, I'm being a bit sarcastic? I was trying to be funny. I was trying to seek out info. If your perception is that skewed, that is sad. A chip on my shoulder? A lather? Do you always discourage people from seeking honest answers like this? Shame on you both!

Old 10-28-2009, 06:50 PM

gecarson: It is an issue because it is the TOPIC. We are talking about it because I wanted to know. I asked the question; I wanted the answers. Please note that the topic is "Religion an issue" If you don't like the idea that I'm making an issue of it, then don't read my post.

And Sundance. Good Grief indeed. If you can't answer my question either, don't respond to me.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:56 PM

Cool Hmmm

Quote:
gecarson: It is an issue because it is the TOPIC. We are talking about it because I wanted to know. I asked the question; I wanted the answers. Please note that the topic is "Religion an issue" If you don't like the idea that I'm making an issue of it, then don't read my post.

And Sundance. Good Grief indeed. If you can't answer my question either, don't respond to me.
Wow - see how easily you can be offended? Me thinks thou doest protest waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much.
I was addressing your topic of "Religion an issue" - perhaps the nerve that was hit will save you from making a huge mistake - best bloom where you have already been planted because Kentuckians are really no different from the rest of the world and will treat you the way you present yourself. Hmmmmmm - well, I can see trouble ahead and am absolutely not clairvoyant.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:01 PM

Ah, gecarson. You really don't get it. But thanks for your input.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:17 PM

58 posts, read 140,667 times
Quote:
It is beautiful. A very different sort of beauty than Kentucky. Not green and wet and mellow, but dry and rocky and dramatic. I don't think there is a prettier place than the places we have here. And no where in the world will you find sky this blue, or sunrises and sunsets this gorgeous.

BUT it is a state that is very tolerant of illegal immigration, which is becoming a big problem. Lots and lots of drug and alcohol problems, spousal and child abuse, major poverty, but on the flip side of that, there are many people moving there that are VERY rich and can afford to stay isolated from the "peasants" and the harsher side of life here.

I have lived here for almost twenty years, with a fourteen year stretch in the middle in Texas. Kentucky sounds a lot like Texas, to me anyway. LOTS of small towns with pockets of racism and religious fervor, lots of really nice people, lots of Americana. It seems much prettier than Texas though.

Where did your friends move to? Are they posting here? I would like to hear how they compare KY and NM.
Our friends moved to Gallup. This isn't the first time they've lived in NM, though. Due to his job as an engineer, they lived in Gallup and Raton before they moved to Ky several years ago. I don't know if they post on here or not, but I can tell you some of what they've told me.

I think they miss the greenery of Ky a little, but I know they love the NM scenery. They did have an issue with the high school that one of their children attended, but have since switched schools. On the flip side, another of their children was not being challenged in the elementary school she attended while living in Ky, so they feel that she is getting a better education in NM.

I think they miss Ky, but try to be positive as much as possible, so I don't hear much about the downside of NM from them. I do know that it is hard to move anywhere and start over, especially with kids. They didn't want to go, but he was offered a huge raise that they couldn't turn down. I get the feeling they want to come back, but are doing the best they can to live with the circumstances.

My daughter is flying out to visit them in December. She is very fair with very blonde hair, and they told her she will stand out like a sore thumb.

I don't live there, but Lexington is absolutely beautiful, and although I don't know firsthand, I have heard others say how tolerant people there are. Also, a lot of the smaller communities in Northern Ky have a great sense of community and are quite accepting. Quite honestly, I will be moving back to No. Ky. as soon as my children are out of school.

One more thing - to be fair about the education issue, my children go to school in rural Ky and do quite well - AP classes and straight A's with a good sense of who they want to be and where they want to go in the future, so it's not as bad as some might make it out to be. My son got an excellent score on his ACT that guarantees acceptance to the state colleges and also provides for a number of scholarships.

As far as Texas, my husband spends time hunting there every year, and he does thinks Ky is much prettier .

Old 10-28-2009, 07:19 PM

Cool Right

Quote:
Ah, gecarson. You really don't get it. But thanks for your input.
I probably don't "get it" - these esoteric philosophical threads are always way over my head - but I was genuinely offering the "input" you said you were seeking. So, you're welcome.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:28 PM

58 posts, read 140,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
With your attitude, I don't think you would fit in in KY - or anywhere else. If you go somewhere with a boulder-sized chip on your shoulder, looking for a fight, that's what you'll find.

Seriously, do you really think EVERYBODY in KY, in EVERY town, goes to church???? What do you think "they" are going to do to you?

I don't even know whether you are for real, or just trying to put people on......

You probably just need to stay put, if you get into this big of a lather before you even get here and see anything to get offended about. Good grief.
Sundance - For heaven's sake, the OP is asking a legitimate question. Her concerns are very real, as proven by some of the previous responses. Do you have something of value to add to the discussion or are you just venting after a bad day at the office? As a Kentuckian, it's downright embarrassing to see how some people treat others on this forum...

Old 10-28-2009, 07:40 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,184,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beilart View Post
"In fairness, I should mention that some people may be a little wary, because of so many instances of where newcomers to a community turn out to be the people who sue the school board because there's a prayer before the basketball game, or write letters to the editor about the nativity scene in the Christmas display."

And isn't this the most stupid thing ever done? I am not a Christian but I taught school for 21 years and kept a Bible right on top of my desk all of those years. Figured it couldn't hurt and came in handy on the bad days. I dared anyone to take it away from me too!
Interesting. You say you are not a christian but keep a bible on your desk. That says quite a lot about religious attitudes in Kentucky, doesn't it?

I was about to write that anyone contemplating living in Kentucky should think twice about pasting atheist bumper stickers to your car and even letting people know (in casual conversation) that you are not of the same religion as they are.
To summarize the posts. The primary message is; if you are not religious, shut the F*** up or get out of Kentucky! At the same time the Kentuckians will pat themselves on the back for being open minded.
There are 4 things Kentuckians care about: 1. Football, 2. basketball, 3. guns, 4. Jesus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky