Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 02:10 PM

90 posts, read 395,387 times

Advertisements

Is anyone going to watch tonight? Hope to hear your comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 03:05 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,760,443 times
ABC News: 'A Hidden America: Children of the Mountains'

This story could have potentially devastating effects on the image of a state already in dire needs of a better national image. I am surprised a Louisville native, whose poster hangs on a skyscraper downtown, would do such an expose. Perhaps she feels the country need to know about the third world that exists in America. I think it exposes some truths, but I also believe this kind of poverty is just as real as in any inner city in America. Hopefully it will bring some sympathy dollars into the region. However, the average viewer may only see it flipping through channels and think, "Kentucky, wow it REALLY is full of toothless hicks!"

Old 02-13-2009, 03:24 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,497,727 times
I think the bottom line with both inner cities and rural Appalachia is their seems to become a culture of poverty. It seems that people become so use to living off government welfare that they no longer so a reason to finish high school or hold down any job. I have cousins in Eastern KY who are unemployed, have 4 kids out of wedlock, and basically set around all day smoking marijuana. Certainly most people in Eastern KY aren't like that, but the ones that are give the entire area a bad name.

Has anyone heard the joke about Jesus going to Pikeville?

Old 02-13-2009, 03:28 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,577,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post

Has anyone heard the joke about Jesus going to Pikeville?
No, and we don't want to hear it. I will not be watching this program, poverty exists anywhere in America, it's worse in large cities. This program will be a continuation of stereotyping that has no other purpose, but to make fun or put down a certain region.

Old 02-13-2009, 04:16 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,905,541 times
I asked this before, but why did that area never become a tourist trap like Gatlinburg, TN? Yeah, it takes away from the nature aspect, but it also brings in tourism dollars and creates jobs (although low paying) for the locals.

As far as the show, I will not watch it. I can't judge an area that I have never been to, probably never will go to either.

Old 02-13-2009, 04:23 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,205,882 times
------ I will not be watching this program"-----
-----This program will be a continuation of stereotyping"--

And you know that about a program that has not aired yet and one that you will--"not be watching" ?

Old 02-13-2009, 04:24 PM

295 posts, read 975,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
No, and we don't want to hear it. I will not be watching this program, poverty exists anywhere in America, it's worse in large cities. This program will be a continuation of stereotyping that has no other purpose, but to make fun or put down a certain region.
Well said, InLondon. I totally agree. I wouldn't watch that program even if I didnt have to go to work.

Have you noticed, InLondon, that ignorance is in good supply also? I know I have.

Old 02-13-2009, 04:34 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,497,727 times
The 2 most loyal Democratic voting groups in America are inner city Blacks and White people in Eastern KY and West Virginia. They are also the 2 poorest groups of people in the nation.

Old 02-13-2009, 04:34 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,205,882 times
Sure getting publicity.

Charles Gibson just announced it as one of the headlines on ABC Nightly News.

Old 02-13-2009, 04:39 PM

295 posts, read 975,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
The 2 most loyal Democratic voting groups in America are inner city Blacks and White people in Eastern KY and West Virginia. They are also the 2 poorest groups of people in the nation.
Not in the neck of the woods that I am from censusdata. I am from Southeastern Ky and most of the people there seem to be very Republican.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky