Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 10:08 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times

Advertisements

Davart, Them subtitles was fer th flatlanners to unnerstan us trailor trash, dopin, boozin, incestin, unejikated, smokin, toothless, toss em diapers out da door, welfarin Eastern hillbills

Btw, my 22 year old grandson works for a large coal company..He makes good money, has great (free) health insurance, 401 k, retirement, guaranteed bonuses, uniform, shoes and gasoline allowances..He also has the opportunity for help with college tuition..Not bad in this declining economy..Coal miners are not dumb, and they are safety conscious and look out for each other.. Did you notice the rock dust in that mine? There are very stringent dust control laws to help prevent Pneumoconeosis (black lung), and regular chest x-rays are provided..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 10:13 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,803,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Davart, Them subtitles was fer th flatlanners to unnerstan us trailor trash, dopin, boozin, incestin, unejikated, smokin, toothless, toss em diapers out da door, welfarin Eastern hillbills

Btw, my 22 year old grandson works for a large coal company..He makes good money, has great (free) health insurance, 401 k, retirement, guaranteed bonuses, uniform, shoes and gasoline allowances..He also has the opportunity for help with college tuition..Not bad in this declining economy..Coal miners are not dumb, and they are safety conscious and look out for each other.. Did you notice the rock dust in that mine? There are very stringent dust control laws to help prevent Pneumoconeosis (black lung), and regular chest x-rays are provided..
I thought the way they portrayed the coal miners was very positive. My impression of the men they interviewed was that they are genuine, hardworking men trying to do what was best for their family. Did I miss something?

Old 02-13-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
I know a lot of extremely smart, successful people FROM eastern KY. The problem is none of them live there anymore.
.I can probably provide a pretty good list of the ones who left and came back home...

Good night and God bless everyone..I have nothing more to contribute to the topic at hand

Old 02-13-2009, 10:15 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
I thought the way they portrayed the coal miners was very positive. My impression of the men they interviewed was that they are genuine, hardworking men trying to do what was best for their family. Did I miss something?
EXACTLY, I agree. The men showed pride in what they do, no one was making fun of them. Diane was trying to press for info on black lung from management and industry officials. I can't believe for one second every single miner watching her make them squirm wasn't silently cheering her on.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:17 PM

247 posts, read 751,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
It is true really?

Show me the stats from multiple sources.
=============================================

Please also explain how my IQ is higher than Obama's. I am not a Democrat.
Take a look a past election data. Google the research topic. It's not anything new. Education doesn't necessarily make them able to make more intelligent choices, but there are numerous studies that show higher levels of education are correlated with democrat voters.

I think the stereotype exists because a lot of the "old money" republican families tend to make the general population think that the term "republican" is associated with "education" (due to people thinking all democrats want money and all republicans have money) because the stereotype is the rich old man--but that isn't true at all when you view the data.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:18 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,803,734 times
Quote:
.I can probably provide a pretty good list of the ones who left and came back home...

Good night and God bless everyone..I have nothing more to contribute to the topic at hand
I'm not saying some don't, I just don't know any. The people I know from EKY (I know a lot) that are very successful say the exact same thing and that it is a huge problem. These are people that genuinely love the mountains, but there isn't a life for them there.

Frankly, I think the biggest problem in the region may be the utter denial of the problems that do exist.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:19 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I don't understand all you native Kentuckians (did I spell that right?) being so convinced this program will be an attempt to slander your great state.

I am very interested to see this Diane Sawyer report, as I think she is normally a very fair and balanced reporter. But also, the subject of poverty in America is one ALL Americans should care about. Maybe you feel like your state has been the butt of one two many bad hick jokes, though in all fairness I think that unfortunate honor goes to West Virginia (another beautiful state undeserving of the ribbing), but try not to be so overly sensitive, many of us love your state and we don't see this kind of reporting as a way to make you all look bad.

I agree - don't assume that everyone thinks negatively about our state. I just watched the show - even now when I think of Kentucky, the image I get is of horses, blue grass, Kentucky Derby, mimosas - large brimmed hats. The poverty piece is a small part of your state. People tend to be moving to areas with mountains - the meaning of "mountain people" is going to change.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:20 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
I'm not saying some don't, I just don't know any. The people I know from EKY (I know a lot) that are very successful say the exact same thing and that it is a huge problem. These are people that genuinely love the mountains, but there isn't a life for them there.

Frankly, I think the biggest problem in the region may be the utter denial of the problems that do exist.

Boy, I'm getting that same exact feeling.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:27 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,426,798 times
Quote:
I reckon so, I'm in Western KY now but I have a lot and I mean A LOT of family down in Letcher Co. (Jeremiah) it beautiful country and its so sad how some people have to live, I'm not a tender heart, but I just wanted to get those kids and give them a chance at life. So many possibilities and so few opportunities.

My church is raising money for a well in Kenya ... now I'm going to have to talk to them about money for opportunity in Eastern KY. I don't want to give them a hand out, but a chance. I think that is really all anybody wants.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:28 PM

I don't deny that there is poverty and drugs here. Same as everywhere else .....Why don't they ever show our food pantries, our rehab centers, our new modern schools, out hospital clinics throughout our count..y Our bus services to get the people to their Dr. appointments, our neighborhood cleanups, My problem is that no one ever comes here and makes a positive film/documentary about how most of us really live
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky