Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2024, 11:09 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times

Advertisements

We have salt. There's usually more salt on the roads than there is snow. We have plows. They're out all night scraping the asphalt when we get two snowflakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2024, 02:38 AM

14,767 posts, read 8,097,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
We have salt. There's usually more salt on the roads than there is snow. We have plows. They're out all night scraping the asphalt when we get two snowflakes.

So, the gist is that you just don't like the mindset of most of the people who live here or how they react to the snow? It's kind of hard to change the mindset and reaction of people. Especially a whole state full.
My guess is that it is probably a pretty similar scenario in most the other Southern states though.

Last edited by Crazee Cat Lady; 02-04-2024 at 03:06 AM..

Old 02-04-2024, 03:19 PM

155 posts, read 265,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Kentucky is seemingly completely unable to cope with winter weather. Let there be an inch of snow or some cold temperatures (hello, it's January) and schools close for an entire week, events are all cancelled, places shut down, and people get hysterical. I'm pretty sure life goes on as usual in other states where it snows or get cold, or no one would ever do anything in some places. They cope and manage. Why is Kentucky so weak?
Welcome to a litigious society.

Old 02-04-2024, 07:46 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salutethehill View Post
Welcome to a litigious society.
With one of my activities, first it was cancelled due snow and ice. Then it was due to the remains of snow and ice because although it'd been cleared, it was still cold. Then after all the snow and ice had disappeared and it was raining, it was nearly cancelled due to the threat of "black ice" lurking invisibly. Give me a break! Pretty sure the entire northern half of the country isn't cancelled every time it snows, is cold, or rains. It's probably fear of litigation, but also just plain fear of any weather than isn't warm and sunny. Such weenies...

Old 02-04-2024, 10:37 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,255,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
I`m a retired Pa. steelworker and the mill has never shut down. Some people (like me) took advantage of these situations to work a double shift. Stay at work for time and a half pay vs. going home to shovel. The snow will wait for me or my wife would start shoveling.
Hey gmagoo how r u?

towards the end of my career, ohhhh, maybe the last 3 years, we were able to work from home, and I took advantage of that...I never feared driving in snow, what I feared were the idiots who thought because they had 4-wheel drive they could go 50 MPH or more, and they tail gated you...if you were going too slow for their liking.

So I worked from home, and so glad that opportunity was there for us.

Old 02-04-2024, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Sometimes they do. When I lived in Northeastern PA, almost everything was closed three times after epic storms. When I was kid, we had heat because we had a coal furnace. The mom and pop places were open for business because the owners lived in an apartment above the store.

Hey Gerania, good to see you....

I've never seen ice like I did anywhere else like those two Fayetteville, NC, storms.
Do you remember the "winter from Hell" when it snowed, froze, then the temps dropped and it rained and everything backed up and there was so much water damage?

Boy that was some year.

Old 02-05-2024, 03:00 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,467,324 times
I can remember a day in the Pittsburgh area when schools were canceled because of the cold and a reporter asked one of the Pittsburgh Penguins who grew up in Canada about school cancelations due to cold. He said they go to school and go outside at recess. Yes, a nation of weenies we`ve become.

Old 02-05-2024, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Of course, states in the South aren't going to have the snow removal that states in the North and Midwest do.
Those states get far more snow every year than the ones in the South, even the upper South do. They have a real need to invest in snow plows, salts and other snow removal equipment, because it is a far more common occurrence than here and in other Southern states.

At some point someone there had to pay higher taxes for that snow removal equipment...and to pay the people who use it.

And if they did that here, they would have to levy taxes in order to pay for that snow removal equipment. How else would they get that equipment? Do you really want to pay higher taxes? I don't. Do you really think it happens frequently enough here to pay higher taxes for the equipment?

I'm just saying...be careful for what you wish for.
My kids were recently in TN for a long weekend at Pigon Forge, and the roads coming back home during the last snow storm they said were awful....and I said well, the state doesn't have plows and salt like up north, b/c they do not have the storns that PA had, and my DIL replied, yes they do?

But yeah, they said, the roads were real bad coming home....and they couldn't understand why plows were not out working?

Old 02-05-2024, 02:54 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
The Upper South and Lower Midwest makes every excuse under the sun as to why they don’t have plows, equipment, and necessary salt when winter weather events come with regularity every winter season.

Old 02-05-2024, 03:56 PM

17,340 posts, read 11,266,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The Upper South and Lower Midwest makes every excuse under the sun as to why they don’t have plows, equipment, and necessary salt when winter weather events come with regularity every winter season.
Maybe it's because I live in a small town in KY, but it's never been an issue here. If it starts to snow, I see plows scraping the asphalt streets and salt being applied. I've seen snow plows out at 2-3 in the morning. Every winter sees at least some snow and ice so I don't understand how it would shock anyone when that's perfectly normal weather for the Ohio River area, so what you stated certainly doesn't apply to where I live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky