Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2024, 10:42 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,255,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Snow day!!!!!!
I kind of love snow days! Getting warm and cozy with a book and cup of hot chocolate or hot tea or coffee, looking out at the beautiful snow. I love snow.
And Kentucky is so beautiful in snow.

These pictures were taken several years back in Lexington(Kentucky Horsepark). I took a picture out the patio door window, but am staying inside. Temps too cold for me this time!

Georgous, just beautiful. I love the peace and quiet of a new fallen snow, then for me, I'm over it. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2024, 10:44 PM

[quote=Igor Blevin I need to buy a 4WD or AWD vehicle. My RWD Dodge Challenger doesn't cut it on hilly icy roads. Even 4WD is challenge and you have to be slow and careful. I have no chance in my RWD muscle car.[/QUOTE]

nope nope nope, not at all good in snow...even a little snow....

Old 01-31-2024, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogsrus View Post
Well, it's been a milk and bread kinda week for sure. We got 6 inches and it ain't done yet. I ain't going nowhere, in fact I told my local drug dealer just a few days ago to fill me up because I won't be back until march.

I don't know, I guess I'm just weak, probably not, just smarter...

If it wasn't so dang cold I'd fire up the smoker and cook a butt and a brisket.

no actually your smart....there are way too many Mario Andretti's out there behind the wheel.

Old 02-01-2024, 05:38 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,467,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I'm from PA, and we got so much more snow, up to 4 feet at times and in my childhood so much more, but it didn't cripple us, however, we stock piled salt year round, until the silo in which they were stored in were full....we also have snow plows and a lot of people who have trucks have plows on their trucks for winter, which is how they make extra money. I do not believe our work shut down in the 23 years I worked there except one time, due to snow....basically it was up to you, if you wanted to work from home, you could.

Kentucky isn't equipped for bad weather, I don't know what they have in the way of salt or snow plows....also, whenever there was a storm predicted, the trucks were out the day before spreading some kind of brine all over the roads to help the snow not stick....or freeze....and then while it was snowing out came the plow trucks with plows on the front and salt in the back....and on the highways, they plowed two and three plows side by side.

Kentucky needs to rethink it, and people have to learn to drive in snow and ice....the main contributing factor of accidents is driving way too fast for conditions which is why they have pile ups on the interstate and which is why I don't go out.....every single time I'm out driving I see people running red lights, those same people think and actually believe b/c they have 4 wheel drive they can still drive 55 or 65 miles and hour, God Bless your little hearts....
I`m a retired Pa. steelworker and the mill has never shut down. Some people (like me) took advantage of these situations to work a double shift. Stay at work for time and a half pay vs. going home to shovel. The snow will wait for me or my wife would start shoveling.

Old 02-01-2024, 11:44 AM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
I`m a retired Pa. steelworker and the mill has never shut down. Some people (like me) took advantage of these situations to work a double shift. Stay at work for time and a half pay vs. going home to shovel. The snow will wait for me or my wife would start shoveling.
When my husband was stationed at Fort Bragg, NC, we got hit by a serious ice storm. The power was out for days, and the city was closed until the temperature rose enough to salt and plow. My husband didn't have to go to work for, I think, four days.

Old 02-01-2024, 07:02 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Georgous, just beautiful. I love the peace and quiet of a new fallen snow...
I love snow, too. But there's no reason for EVERYTHING to grind to a stop every time it snows or even gets cold. Whole parts of the world keep functioning per normal when it snows or gets cold.

That was my point.

Old 02-01-2024, 09:02 PM

Sure, but was there ice?

Old 02-01-2024, 11:57 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Sure, but was there ice?
Yes, there is ice up north in the winter. For like six months out of the year. They don't cancel EVERYTHING. Life goes on.

Old 02-03-2024, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Yes, there is ice up north in the winter. For like six months out of the year. They don't cancel EVERYTHING. Life goes on.
Sometimes they do. When I lived in Northeastern PA, almost everything was closed three times after epic storms. When I was kid, we had heat because we had a coal furnace. The mom and pop places were open for business because the owners lived in an apartment above the store.

I've never seen ice like I did anywhere else like those two Fayetteville, NC, storms.

Old 02-03-2024, 10:19 PM

14,767 posts, read 8,097,050 times
Of course, states in the South aren't going to have the snow removal that states in the North and Midwest do.
Those states get far more snow every year than the ones in the South, even the upper South do. They have a real need to invest in snow plows, salts and other snow removal equipment, because it is a far more common occurrence than here and in other Southern states.

At some point someone there had to pay higher taxes for that snow removal equipment...and to pay the people who use it.

And if they did that here, they would have to levy taxes in order to pay for that snow removal equipment. How else would they get that equipment? Do you really want to pay higher taxes? I don't. Do you really think it happens frequently enough here to pay higher taxes for the equipment?

I'm just saying...be careful for what you wish for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky