Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 07:02 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,674,126 times

Advertisements

Okay, so perhaps I'm just missing something, but here in my part of Reston the intensity of snow has been and continues to be very light in nature with under an inch of fresh accumulation thus far. I just checked radar, and it looks like the vast bulk of the precipitation is passing by to the east and heading in a northeastward direction, affecting primarily Prince George's County and Anne Arundel County thus far in Maryland. The "future radar" feature shows very little snow projected over much of Fairfax County in the coming hours. However, the "hourly" forecast projects very heavy snow and gusty winds during the morning rush-hour tomorrow with the steady snow not tapering off until late-afternoon. What gives? I've heard that a coastal low is going to form (or has formed?) Is that supposed to shoot wraparound moisture back our way?

From what I've seen thus far I just don't foresee how we're getting another foot, give or take, out of this system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 07:04 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,779,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Okay, so perhaps I'm just missing something, but here in my part of Reston the intensity of snow has been and continues to be very light in nature with under an inch of fresh accumulation thus far. I just checked radar, and it looks like the vast bulk of the precipitation is passing by to the east and heading in a northeastward direction, affecting primarily Prince George's County and Anne Arundel County thus far in Maryland. The "future radar" feature shows very little snow projected over much of Fairfax County in the coming hours. However, the "hourly" forecast projects very heavy snow and gusty winds during the morning rush-hour tomorrow with the steady snow not tapering off until late-afternoon. What gives? I've heard that a coastal low is going to form (or has formed?) Is that supposed to shoot wraparound moisture back our way?

From what I've seen thus far I just don't foresee how we're getting another foot, give or take, out of this system.
Stay tuned. As we say in the football world the first quarter hasn't ended yet.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Stay tuned. As we say in the football world the first quarter hasn't ended yet.
I'm excited. I'm an early riser, so I could potentially be waking up and looking out the window at inch-per-hour snowfall rates. I just don't see where it will be coming from. As I said I guess once that new coastal low intensifies it will start spitting bands of heavy snow our way for the morning commute.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:07 PM

696 posts, read 1,696,008 times
It's a little different over here, near GMU. We have 2 inches and it's still falling heavily.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtodcfromseattle View Post
It's a little different over here, near GMU. We have 2 inches and it's still falling heavily.
Wow. Thanks for the update. Reston and points north and west seemed to get hit a bit harder than other areas in this last storm with 28"-36", give or take, so I guess it's our turn to get "jipped!"

Old 02-09-2010, 07:23 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,716,088 times
It's sleeting here in Stafford. Which is all going to freeze overnight.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:25 PM

51 posts, read 133,754 times
Yep, just as forecasted; heavy snow doesn't hit until tomorrow morning.

Stay tuned....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post

Old 02-09-2010, 07:27 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,687,855 times
I'm at the opposite end of the Parkway from you and it's accumulating here. I did a quick shovel of the first inch at 8:00 pm and already that much has fallen again.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:42 PM

593 posts, read 2,441,213 times
Here in Arlington it is coming down like crazy! This is really thick snow, too - I was wearing my 180's home from work and had a pile of snow on top of my head by the time I got home

From what I've read the snow is arriving in a wacky pattern - at least per Capitol Weather Gang's predicted snow-bands: (is Reston in that coveted, well for snow lovers, 8 - 16" band?)

Old 02-09-2010, 08:03 PM

404 posts, read 1,095,556 times
Just walked the dog, about 4 inches already in Old Town... this storm appears to be highly localized, but I would have assumed the western regions would be getting more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia