Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2020, 02:15 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,551,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
What’s ironic is that Beshear ran for Governor to provide raises and support to educators, but due to significant lost tax revenue, likely will have to slash any raises for educators and other state employees and likely significant layoffs.

Beshear is in over his head and seems to like to hear himself talk by holding daily press conferences where he repeats the same stuff over and over like we are in the Third grade.. Sad to see how Kentucky is becoming another rust belt-ish decaying State unlike its fast growing Southern neighbors.

I just moved back to KY in February and now kind of regret it. The States future looks grim,
Transplant, anybody should have seen the teachers wouldn't get those raises. I voted for Beshear (but I would have voted for my dog over Bevin.) but with Republicans in Majority in both sides a blind man could see that the raises wouldn't go through. GOP folks don't care for teachers and state employees and the money wouldn't have been there no matter what was going on.

The best comment I've ever heard on politicians' promises came on the national news. The commentator said the candidates shouldn't say " I will promise you this or that". They should say I promise I will work with the legislature to try to get you this or that."

I miss the days where politicians, Democrats and Republicans, work together for US, not working to make the other party look bad.

At least Gov. Beshear didn't mention the state claiming bankruptcy, like Vladimir McConnell mentioned last week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2020, 09:21 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,424,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
What’s ironic is that Beshear ran for Governor to provide raises and support to educators, but due to significant lost tax revenue, likely will have to slash any raises for educators and other state employees and likely significant layoffs.

Beshear is in over his head and seems to like to hear himself talk by holding daily press conferences where he repeats the same stuff over and over like we are in the Third grade.. Sad to see how Kentucky is becoming another rust belt-ish decaying State unlike its fast growing Southern neighbors.

I just moved back to KY in February and now kind of regret it. The States future looks grim,
I just left in December for the 3rd time. Love my friends and family there but I won't be back. Bevin ruined whatever hope was left in the state, and the pension issue is going to bankrupt the entire state but taking Louisville first if they can't sort out a reasonable budget to keep law enforcement and other first responders employed at appropriate levels.

Old 05-11-2020, 02:46 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,882,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogsrus View Post
Other than to uphold the Constitution of the United States of America and The Constitution of The Great Commonwealth of Kentucky, does anyone have an official Government document outlining the duties of the Governor?

Well, ye'all have had several days to research this......that's right it's not his job, nor the job of any Governor to protect me. I am smart enough to do it myself. I seen a quote the other day... " I have never seen so many people afraid to die but, yet afraid to live". Do they somehow think they'll live for ever if they listen to little Andy? Is the "Virus" the only thing that'll kill'um.

Fact is, ye better be ready to die everyday...before, during and after "The Virus".

We are witnessing the effects of people refusing to discuss Religion and politics. Facts are facts if ye refuse recognize them or not.

Old 05-11-2020, 06:02 PM

The way I look at it, I don't have any ideas of how to beat this virus. Until I do I'm going to listen to Gov. Beshear. Even if he was Republican and telling us all this (which, at that time, a lot of the followers of the GOP, would be telling us to listen to every word) I'd do the same thing I am now.
After that judge said Kentucky churches can go ahead and have services, there have been many in this area who are still waiting, as several have said on their facebook pages and other messages, for the health and safety of our members. The church I am a member of, which a majority are Republicans, have sent texts out to all church members that they're not sure when we'll have services again. We're having online services on the church's facebook page in the mean time..

Old 05-12-2020, 04:34 AM

811 posts, read 890,234 times
Kentucky now has the highest unemployment rate of all States in the US, per capita. White Squirrel Brewing Company in Bowling Green shut its doors for good yesterday. Beshear is decimating Kentucky’s economy. What I do t understand is why he contradicts himself so much...he had stated that he would follow the re-opening guidelines of neighboring Indiana and Ohio...but they are on a faster re-opening than KY. I don’t like that Beshear says one thing and then does another.

Old 05-12-2020, 04:53 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,882,726 times
https://www.thetimestribune.com/spor...91fcc2d2b.html

Well, if this takes place around the State....little Andy, well, don't have a clue about the can of worm's he's about to open up...bless his heart! Talk about biting the hand that elected you!

I've already been hearing rumbles of his removal from office Pryor to this. I don't know if that's if even possible or not but, we are about to find out.

Old 05-13-2020, 02:16 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,905,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
The way I look at it, I don't have any ideas of how to beat this virus. Until I do I'm going to listen to Gov. Beshear. Even if he was Republican and telling us all this (which, at that time, a lot of the followers of the GOP, would be telling us to listen to every word) I'd do the same thing I am now.
After that judge said Kentucky churches can go ahead and have services, there have been many in this area who are still waiting, as several have said on their facebook pages and other messages, for the health and safety of our members. The church I am a member of, which a majority are Republicans, have sent texts out to all church members that they're not sure when we'll have services again. We're having online services on the church's facebook page in the mean time..
Ditto to this - my church will resume in-person services soon, but with maximum precautions. Masks for all, lyrics to hymns projected onto an overhead screen, Bibles and hymnals removed from pews, pews blocked into six-foot intervals, collection plates on a table in the narthex rather than passed, no handshaking or holding during passing the peace, and so on. Many of our members are older folks, and a large percentage have underlying conditions which put them at increased risk(self included). So many of us will continue to watch the streamed services rather than attend in person.

Our old world has changed, and finding ways to meet its new requirements isn't always simple or fun. But if they help keep us well - and alive - then I'll continue to look for new ways to meet continuing needs, as in discovering that a favorite fresh produce stand, which is open-air with a canopied top, is open once again for the season and is currently well-stocked with fresh tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, cabbage, hanging baskets of ferns or flowers, squash, apples - and peaches from SC! I bought a dozen peaches which I'll will let ripen for a couple of days before I cut and freeze half and enjoy the rest. Had cucumbers and fresh tomatoes with my cheeseburger last night - best parts of my evening meal.

Being high-risk, I far prefer shopping there than in a crowded, all-indoor big box supermarket with shoppers who may be infected but asymptomatic or who are oblivious to the need to keep well away from others, or those who are in denial (and get in your face - no, thanks). I don't look sick or what many evidently think of as high risk, as my diminished lung function doesn't show up while I'm moving at my usual pace.

There are many others like me. We can wear our gloves and masks and be extra-cautious when out - but we can't completely keep others from moving far too close at times. So please, folks, be considerate and keep your distance - thanks.

I'm also picking up staples like milk and orange juice through the local Walmart's drive-through window, a great service. While larger stores are offering similar pick-ups, I have yet to use that service - maybe it will be more appealing in the fall. We'll see.

I've been frustrated, lonely, and have had a bit of cabin fever, but have yet to be bored. Fortunately, my house and yard are filled with lots of books and many interesting things and potential projects, and I have many online friends and family members and sites I follow (like this one). YouTube movies and documentaries have been great ways to escape the present reality for a little while.

My cat is a good companion, and my neighbors are checking in and catching up with one another from safe distances and the phone. I am okay physically for the most part (gimpy knees and limited lungs aside), and haven't been sick since early January, when within three days of New Year's, two weeks of cough and cold descended, probably caught from a woman from Texas who had coughed throughout the same six-day short-term quasi academic event I'd just attended (she was in three of my classes). I experienced lots of tiredness but no fever, lots of sinus involvement and resulting cough. So I may get my antibodies checked when I can, just to see if I could have possibly already had COVID-19, though I doubt that was what hit me.

Been too busy to post lately, so greetings to all - I hope everyone is doing and keeping well. Hang in there. Focusing on one day's activities and events at a time, while informally planning the week ahead seems to work for me pretty well at present. Just thankful to be alive and well and for having had my petty complaints almost vanish, due to how much worse I could be.

Old 05-13-2020, 02:21 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,905,591 times
Quote:

Well, if this takes place around the State....little Andy, well, don't have a clue about the can of worm's he's about to open up...bless his heart! Talk about biting the hand that elected you!

I've already been hearing rumbles of his removal from office Pryor to this. I don't know if that's if even possible or not but, we are about to find out.

I know you are not a fan of Andy Beshear's, and you have a right to your opinion

But with an 81% approval rating among Kentuckians, he's not going to be leaving the Governor's Mansion any time soon, no matter how many of the remaining 19% rumble.

I am sorry to learn about the Laurel County firings, and wish they could have found a way to keep these dedicated teachers on their staff. The kids need them, and they need to be able to be kept onboard to share their knowledge, talents, and other abilities with their students. Very tough times...this is a very great loss.

Old 05-13-2020, 03:03 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Quote:

I disagree. It is questionable whether there will be fall sports and the contracts can be easily renewed if it turns out there will be. Laurel County can ill afford to $100,000+ when they might not even have a sports or band season. Kentucky will be hurting severely for money when this is over; payroll taxes have plummeted, unemployment is astronomical, and unlike the federal government, we can’t just print money.

Non-tenured teachers are being pink slipped and there is every possibility that the state will have to have an actual RIF.

Old 05-13-2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
I've been frustrated, lonely, and have had a bit of cabin fever, but have yet to be bored. Fortunately, my house and yard are filled with lots of books and many interesting things and potential projects, and I have many online friends and family members and sites I follow (like this one). YouTube movies and documentaries have been great ways to escape the present reality for a little while.

My cat is a good companion, and my neighbors are checking in and catching up with one another from safe distances and the phone. I am okay physically for the most part (gimpy knees and limited lungs aside), and haven't been sick since early January, when within three days of New Year's, two weeks of cough and cold descended, probably caught from a woman from Texas who had coughed throughout the same six-day short-term quasi academic event I'd just attended (she was in three of my classes). I experienced lots of tiredness but no fever, lots of sinus involvement and resulting cough. So I may get my antibodies checked when I can, just to see if I could have possibly already had COVID-19, though I doubt that was what hit me.

Been too busy to post lately, so greetings to all - I hope everyone is doing and keeping well. Hang in there. Focusing on one day's activities and events at a time, while informally planning the week ahead seems to work for me pretty well at present. Just thankful to be alive and well and for having had my petty complaints almost vanish, due to how much worse I could be.
Craig, I've been helping my wife keep from getting cabin fever. She can't get around much because of her back and hip and now, she's got gout. But have been trying, at least once a week, to take her for a ride around the area. There's a lot to see in western Ky. and never have to get out of the car. We took one trip through the Land Between the Lakes and she did get out of the car at her family cemetery there to go back to her mother's grave, who died 14 years ago on Mother's day. Another one of our trips was to, as I say it, beautiful downtown Monkey's Eyebrow, Ky. Our two dogs, a chihuahua and a dachshund, keep her company in her recliner. She claims she has "canine paralysis" when they both get up there with her. She hasn't been in a store since all this started. We're not worried about going to get tested. She had a doctor's appointment yesterday for her gout. As soon as you walk in the hospital they check your temperature. Since they said we're OK, well temperature wise anyway lol, must mean we're safe on the virus part. I have to admit I haven't been the best at wearing a suffocator, er, I mean mask when I go in stores. I finally wore one going in Walmart Tuesday. I didn't tie the bottom ties though. I figured if the germs could get through my mess of a beard, they can get through anything.

If there's a nice park near you, why not just go sit on a bench for a while? I've been fishing several times at Noble Park in Paducah. The playgrounds, picnic shelters and basketball courts are all closed but there's still plenty of people out walking, biking, fishing, or just sitting and watching everybody else walking, biking and fishing.

Had noticed you hadn't posted in a while, but figured you'd make up for it one of these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky