Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 10:24 AM

724 posts, read 502,861 times

Advertisements

I stumbled upon this article ( https://encompass.eku.edu/cgi/viewco...jps_fsresearch ) the other day , so I thought I'd ask if it still has any relevance in 2018 .

So do organized crime groups as described in the article above still exist in Kentucky ? If so then which specific areas are they based in and how do they make their money ? Also if such groups no longer exist then have they been replaced by other groups ( such as Mexican drug cartels ) ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 09:51 PM

29 posts, read 58,732 times
No....you got the wrong state their might be small bands of rednecks selling meth and pills in eastern KY but they are in no way organized like say in California where you got the aryan brotherhood, nazi lowriders etc. only gangs here are in the big cities like Louisville and Lexington. Their is a small chapter of the KKK here but they are not powerful at all compared to back in the 60s

Old 02-03-2018, 06:35 PM

29 posts, read 58,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtrainoff View Post
LoneWolfe is way off base. Criminal element in Eastern Kentucky controls all the illegal gambling (including slot machines, blackjack and poker) located in every private club, VFW, bar with a basement and so many other locations. They also control herion/oxycodan sales in much of that part of the state.
Ok what gangs are you talking about? I have never heard of any in the rural parts of the state....just young thugs selling meth and other drugs and committing petty crime he was posting about actual organized crime like the bloods,crips, etc.

Old 02-04-2018, 08:56 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,567,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf445 View Post
No....you got the wrong state their might be small bands of rednecks selling meth and pills in eastern KY but they are in no way organized like say in California where you got the aryan brotherhood, nazi lowriders etc. only gangs here are in the big cities like Louisville and Lexington. Their is a small chapter of the KKK here but they are not powerful at all compared to back in the 60s
MS-13 is also big in many states, and growing. CA is probably the worst. I never experienced any gang elements when I lived in KY, but I did not run in those circles. I have heard their is a rural meth, and heroine problem though.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtrainoff View Post
Organized crime like the mafia!

Which mafia is active in rural Kentucky ?

Old 02-07-2018, 11:37 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,880,609 times
If your plans are to make a documentary on organized crime in the south, Mafia in rural Kentucky in this case, I suggest you come and see for yourself. Far too many times I have seen ,so called, documentaries based on here say and biased prejudice for the sake of ratings. For this alleged documentary to have any credibility at all you must collect your material first hand.

But, to answer your question...I don't know of any mafia activity in my part of the state. But, on the other hand, I'm not part of such activity so, I could be wrong. It's not the kind of thing that's advertised in the local newspaper. Which further supports your need to see for yourself. So, come on down, I suggest you start in Eastern Kentucky, say, Harlan, Letcher, Pike, Leslie, Perry, Knott, and Floyd Counties would be a great place to start and then go from there. These are all good people that are always willing to help in any way they can.

I can't wait to hear about your findings so, and keep us updated.

Good luck!

Old 02-07-2018, 02:44 PM

30 posts, read 106,013 times
Didn't you watch Justified?

Old 02-12-2018, 09:08 AM

Yes I've caught a few episodes of Justified , but that's not why I've created this thread .

Anyways I will keep you all in the loop if I ever do get around to making a documentary about organize crime in Kentucky .

Old 02-12-2018, 10:49 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,891,510 times
Most of the counties Hogsrus listed above are flooding right now, so you might want to plan your trip for later.

Old 02-12-2018, 01:44 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,880,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Most of the counties Hogsrus listed above are flooding right now, so you might want to plan your trip for later.

They sure are...on second thought, maybe you should start out west. Gman knows all about the mafia in that part of the state.

Side note...flood wall has been closed in Harlan and I expect the Pineville and Barbourville walls will follow, if they haven't already. It's strange, interesting and devastating to witness the rise and fall of flood waters as it makes it's way down the river.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky