Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 09:49 PM

9 posts, read 14,618 times

Advertisements

Lionel, hi...I haven't been on these boards in forever...I clicked on that article, its an old one from 1992.

Lived in central Kentucky for ten years now, and in Lexington for a year. Never saw Mafia in either place.

And I spent 16 years in a New Jersey neighborhood in my youth, with Mafia as neighbors.

So yes, I'd recognize them.

Highly doubtful they would assimilate in Eastern Kentucky...there may be some sort of "organized" criminal activity of some sort in some places in the state...but it would most likely be Louisville for anything close to resembling a Mafia-type organization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 10:05 PM

9 posts, read 14,618 times
Ohhh, hogsrus, I surely hope you aren't in a flood zone...Doc and I were flooded out in Hurricane Rita when we lived down South, and it was devastating...I wouldn't wish that on anyone....stay safe...

Old 02-26-2018, 10:59 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,880,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docs Wife View Post
Ohhh, hogsrus, I surely hope you aren't in a flood zone...Doc and I were flooded out in Hurricane Rita when we lived down South, and it was devastating...I wouldn't wish that on anyone....stay safe...
Thanks, DW...I'm high and dry. I wish I could say the same for a lot more folks. I wouldn't even wish that on my old buddy peta

Old 03-03-2018, 10:46 AM

724 posts, read 502,861 times
I highly doubt that there are any Mafia type organizations in Kentucky myself . I'm just a bit puzzled that nobody seems to know of regional blood relation based crime families ( as mentioned in my link ) , since parts of Kentucky are known to be major centers of large scale marijuana production .

Old 03-06-2018, 03:41 PM

7,826 posts, read 2,726,391 times
Here is an interesting article referencing the emergence of the "Latin Kings" in Kentucky. At the time of this article they were affiliated with The Sinaloa Cartel. This seems to be characteristic of organized crime today, the street gang / cartel connection. Judging from this article these guys are somewhat sophisticated. I know that Kentucky had strong mob ties in the past primarily with the crime families out of Cleveland and Akron. I think that is long past though.

Quote:
The importance of the Latin Kings emergence in Kentucky signals several things such as increased criminal activity in areas of the city and state, and increased violence, but also some more ominous problems such as corruption in the military bases or even local police forces as noted by the NGTA (2011). Latin Kings have their members purposely join the police forces to stay ahead of the game by bribing or blackmailing public officials and officers, and they have members placed in the Army, Army Reserves, Navy, and Marine Corps. When these members get out they have advanced military training to use to fight rival gangs, and, when they are serving, aid in the transnational crime of narcotics smuggling in and out of foreign countries. Latin Kings also have deep ties to the Mexican Drug Trafficking Organization (MDTO) known as the Sinaloa Cartel, which is one of the two largest cartels in Mexico. The Latin Kings are affiliated with the people nation in the prison system and will actively recruit new members through Kentucky’s correctional system and have direct ties to the Chicago Latin Kings, which means that they will also participate in the trafficking of narcotics through the country by transporting them in and out of state lines. Their presence also facilitates narcotics sales throughout the state.

The Emergence of the Latin Kings in KY ~ Criminology & Justice

Old 03-07-2018, 10:31 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,583,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Fauquier View Post
I highly doubt that there are any Mafia type organizations in Kentucky myself . I'm just a bit puzzled that nobody seems to know of regional blood relation based crime families ( as mentioned in my link ) , since parts of Kentucky are known to be major centers of large scale marijuana production .
Yes, there are people in KY that have connections to mafia families in other cities, NY is the one I am aware of, but for the most part, its loan sharking, and money laundering thru legitimate companies, like heavy equipment rental places, scrapyards, etc. Its not anything like you see on the movies or tv though, its not near as dramatic or glamorous as its made out to be. Northern KY is the area Im talking about though, not sure about the more southern parts of the state.

Old 03-08-2018, 12:37 PM

724 posts, read 502,861 times
Does anyone happen to know anything about the people that grow marijuana on state and federal land ( for example the Daniel Boone National Forest ) ? If so then are these people organized in any way ?

Old 03-09-2018, 02:02 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,777,706 times
People that really know about organized crime are mostly either in it, know folks in it or maybe worried they'd be ID'ed (for sure or just a guess) for talking, casually or to authorities.

If you showed up and starting asking questions, I'd assume that some or many of these different folks would worry or assume you were a police informant or a liability to become one.

I don't know the real odds because it depends on where you go, what you say & do, how good you are at reading situations and getting out of them, but...
say there was a 1 in 10 chance of being robbed, 1 in 100 on being physically attacked (at the time or down the road) and a 1 in 1000 or 5000 chance of being killed... would you accept that risk? You make the guesses, what would be acceptable vs. not?

Taking some sort of local partner, filmmaker or just street smart ally, might improve the odds. Or not, if they are too bold or not as savvy as they think they are or as trustworthy as you think they are (could sell you out for money, drugs, rep or to save own skin).

If you can find them, I'd talk to at least a few people that have done something similar. And a few law enforcement folk, perhaps in locations other than you intend to be in, to get advice and get out without being hassled or ID'ed by the corrupt.

Do you talk to law enforcement in your location? Risk of doing so or not doing so. You could be clean but someone might decide to make you look unclean. Might be easy way to get rid of you. Do you move on if someone challenges you? Might be hard to get as deep as you want without it happening. Try to trade "being in a movie" for insight and protection? Might work. May be better than them having nothing to gain from you being around other than feeling big by talking big. Some might spin tales beyond what they really have done. People could change quickly. Not so likely that you'd know before they snapped and went at you on their turf. Only takes one unstable (or stable & mean) criminal to have a bad day...

Last edited by NW Crow; 03-09-2018 at 02:31 PM..

Old 03-09-2018, 03:31 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,777,706 times
The marijuana growers will often set fires- on national forest land or somebody else's land then come back in a year or 3-5 and grow some plants in cover but also better sun.

Organized crime, how much and where is it? Check the court records for gang and conspiracy charges. Where it was, it probably still is.

Last edited by NW Crow; 03-09-2018 at 03:58 PM..

Old 03-10-2018, 12:27 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,312,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
snip>Do you talk to law enforcement in your location? Risk of doing so or not doing so. You could be clean but someone might decide to make you look unclean. Might be easy way to get rid of you. Do you move on if someone challenges you? Might be hard to get as deep as you want without it happening. Try to trade "being in a movie" for insight and protection? Might work. May be better than them having nothing to gain from you being around other than feeling big by talking big. Some might spin tales beyond what they really have done. People could change quickly. Not so likely that you'd know before they snapped and went at you on their turf. Only takes one unstable (or stable & mean) criminal to have a bad day...
This is an astute observation and sound advice OP so...unless you're 'one of them' I would do my best to steer clear of any circumstances that would put yourself in jeopardy of any sort. As 'they' say, just my humble opinion, of course.

No, I am not Kentucky born but rather Kentucky bred and raised. I spent every summer/early fall here (along with my siblings) 'slopping pigs', cutting/hanging tobacco, baling/loading hay and other miscellaneous chores on the family farm.

As my mother would ask, what has that got to do with the price of tomatoes? Nothing, except to say that I am not an outsider or casual observer and I certainly miss those days of my carefree youth. But I don't think there remains anywhere near the likes of 'Mayberry' in these here United States of America.

The world in general has become a very strange and 'foreign' landscape so best to err on the side of caution concerning your curiosity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy64 View Post
Here is an interesting article referencing the emergence of the "Latin Kings" in Kentucky. At the time of this article they were affiliated with The Sinaloa Cartel. This seems to be characteristic of organized crime today, the street gang / cartel connection. Judging from this article these guys are somewhat sophisticated. I know that Kentucky had strong mob ties in the past primarily with the crime families out of Cleveland and Akron. I think that is long past though.

Latin Kings have their members purposely join the police forces to stay ahead of the game by bribing or blackmailing public officials and officers, and they have members placed in the Army, Army Reserves, Navy, and Marine Corps.

The Emergence of the Latin Kings in KY ~ Criminology & Justice
I can't imagine what would transpire if these two particular groups get into a struggle over territory or worse join forces.

Suspected MS-13 gang members arrested

Suspected MS-13 gang members arrested - WDRB 41 Louisville News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky