Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 08:28 AM

536 posts, read 962,306 times

Advertisements

I live in a small town in Kentucky. Just the other day we had a shooting not that far from where I live. Kids involved, shooting a man in a parking lot of an auto repair business. Cops had the area shut down, and I had to go the back way home from work. This was at 9pm on a weekday. Then recently I was at the Verizon store in the town next to mine, and right before I was there, it had been robbed by a couple of hoodie wearing teens. They came in and ripped off all the display units. In my own neighborhood a year ago, a man walked up to a house and beat the women who lived there with a baseball bat, and the school bus driver arriving that morning to pick up kids, got out and stopped the attack. I guess I am surprised that my small town has so many things going on, and lately it seems to be getting worse and way too close to home! So to answer this question, I don't know how "organized" the crime is in small towns, but it is there, and mostly from bored teenagers and young adults. Drugs are a huge problem in some of the communities including mine. It's really sad. I've seen "gang" tagging on rocks and sidewalks in an undeveloped part of my neighborhood, and we've had a lot of problems since the woods backs up to that part. The cops are always down there thank goodness, but drug deals have gone down. The park I walk in has had it's share of issues as well. Drug crimes mostly, but Some killed themselves back there a year or so ago. Crazy, crazy stuff! For a small town you wouldn't think it would be so bad, but apparently the bad guys take a break from the larger cities and come down to "visit" the smaller communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 08:26 AM

9 posts, read 14,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Fauquier View Post
Does anyone happen to know anything about the people that grow marijuana on state and federal land ( for example the Daniel Boone National Forest ) ? If so then are these people organized in any way ?
Lionel...I've never been politically correct and I don't intend to initiate that bad habit now...what the good people here are trying to convey to you is this...you come to Kentucky and start asking who/what/where the folks are involved in ANY sort of crime/drugs/illegal activities, you're going to be seen as an informer or a potential snitch and be dealt with accordingly--as in, you might never go home again.

Same thing goes for West Virginia, Tennessee, or any geographical region where folks are engaging in practices that don't fit under "legal". Someone such as yourself is going to be looked at with suspicion, and rightly so by their standards--and those of us that DO live here would hardly tell a complete virtual online stranger about such things--would we?

Basic rule is You Don't Mess With Us, and We Won't Mess With You.

Kind regards,

Docs Wife

Old 03-22-2018, 12:38 PM

724 posts, read 504,188 times
Well I'm not going to go around knocking on random doors or what have you . The first thing I'll do is talk to local law enforcement and provided they don't explicitly advise me against it , I'd set up a few meetings with insiders via the help of community outreach people , social workers , pastors , and the like .

Stuff like this has been done before so I don't see why it shouldn't be worth a try .

Old 03-22-2018, 07:43 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,483,937 times
Wynn Duffy

Old 03-26-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
Wynn Duffy

Who is that ?

Old 03-26-2018, 09:17 PM

8,502 posts, read 8,805,720 times
Wynn Duffy | Justified Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia

Old 03-28-2018, 10:05 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,753,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaralj View Post
I live in a small town in Kentucky. Just the other day we had a shooting not that far from where I live. Kids involved, shooting a man in a parking lot of an auto repair business. Cops had the area shut down, and I had to go the back way home from work. This was at 9pm on a weekday. Then recently I was at the Verizon store in the town next to mine, and right before I was there, it had been robbed by a couple of hoodie wearing teens. They came in and ripped off all the display units. In my own neighborhood a year ago, a man walked up to a house and beat the women who lived there with a baseball bat, and the school bus driver arriving that morning to pick up kids, got out and stopped the attack. I guess I am surprised that my small town has so many things going on, and lately it seems to be getting worse and way too close to home! So to answer this question, I don't know how "organized" the crime is in small towns, but it is there, and mostly from bored teenagers and young adults. Drugs are a huge problem in some of the communities including mine. It's really sad. I've seen "gang" tagging on rocks and sidewalks in an undeveloped part of my neighborhood, and we've had a lot of problems since the woods backs up to that part. The cops are always down there thank goodness, but drug deals have gone down. The park I walk in has had it's share of issues as well. Drug crimes mostly, but Some killed themselves back there a year or so ago. Crazy, crazy stuff! For a small town you wouldn't think it would be so bad, but apparently the bad guys take a break from the larger cities and come down to "visit" the smaller communities.
Shootings happen everywhere. Some of the highest per capita crime is in small town KY. Many of these counties, particularly in eastern KY have the highest poverty, cancer, and unemployment in the entire USA sadly.

Old 03-29-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post

Ah I see ...

I only caught a few episodes of that show and I don't recall seeing that character in those episodes , which is why I was in the dark until now .

Old 03-30-2018, 03:15 PM

99,624 posts, read 4,495,071 times
Yes, let Raylan handle this stuff. It's his job.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:32 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,483,937 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2TmyML0OWg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky