Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 12:05 PM

3 posts, read 13,370 times

Advertisements

I've lived in one of the tiny towns surrounding owensboro, kentucky and I wanted to suggest owensboro, if you're looking for somewhere with no crime. Home's are definitely affordable and it's a nice quiet town. It's the third largest in Kentucky, we're supposedly the #1 sports town in kentucky, our school systems are quite good. We're also a college town, without having the vivaciousness of most college towns. We're known for barbeque all around the US and although most people wish to move away once they get into their 20's, I've chosen to stay here, just because of the safe-ness, I feel from staying in owensboro vs. a larger town. I highly suggest this town. good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 06:01 PM

1 posts, read 3,826 times
there is no place like louisville. The arts, restuarants, festivals.. there is always something to do. I have lived there 4 times in my life and i plan to move back in june of next year.... I will be staying for good once i move.

Old 10-17-2007, 04:01 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinaalicia View Post
there is no place like louisville. The arts, restuarants, festivals.. there is always something to do. I have lived there 4 times in my life and i plan to move back in june of next year.... I will be staying for good once i move.
welcome back...had you waited 3 more years you wouldnt recognize the place. Already it is much different in the few years I have been here

Old 10-28-2007, 02:58 PM

7 posts, read 19,135 times
Cynthiana, Ky. is a great place to live and I'd be glad to help you find some property that would fit your needs. You can reach me at peggy.mcnabb@era.com

Old 11-02-2007, 09:17 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonlightMadness View Post
Dear KalicoKat & Ky Girl,
Thanx for replying. Unfortunately, there's drugs everywhere but I have 3 drug houses surrounding me (one right next door). And I live in the better part of Philly. You'd think the police would be right on top of it to keep this area's rep. But they tell us they can't do anything because the dealings are inside the homes. Whatever happened to stakeouts & stings? Anyways, I was looking at central Ky near the horse farms (since I love the horses) but not in Lexington (which I guess is the big city even if it isn't as big as Philly). Maybe Hustonville or Danville. But I've seen nice homes in Wickliffe, Edmonton, & Munfordville, which is now starting to make me indecisive about where to settle. I'm looking for an older home that doesn't need alot of work but has some acreage. I want to go crazy planting a garden. No more than $150,000. My husband currently works in a textile mill (not too many of those around anymore) & he's also worked in warehouses. I've worked in flower shops. But I'm thinking I'd like to branch out into either nursery/greenhouse work or landscaping. I'd love to work with horses but I don't think my back would allow it. My biggest obstacle right is that we don't drive (not that we can't learn) & that kind of limits us. But thanx again for any info you can give me. I certainly will appreciate it.
Try Henderson Kentucky.

It is a smaller community, but close to Evansville, IN (across the river) and you have access to jobs, shopping, medical, good school systems, etc..

There are drugs EVERYWHERE nowadays, but not in the better areas of most towns.

If hubby wasn't Army now, we would move back to Hendo soon.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renna View Post
I thought I would share, I'm moving to Kentucky as well. I have some of the same issues as Joyce, but mostly were moving to be near our daughter and grandson who live in Owensboro.

I ran across a couple of homes I liked in Island on a Realtors website, I was looking for a map of Island to get an idea where it is exactly. I got distracted by the link to this forum and I was surprise to find the first thread was about relocating to Kentucky. So I had stop in and say HI!
I know ALL about Island, since it's McLean Co and that is where I was born and raised, if you have ANY questions, please let me know. Feel free to Pm me, or start a new topic.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkk View Post
I have been offered a job in Owensboro. I am from a small city near Dayton, Ohio area and am curious to the type of lifestlye. How is the area for parks and recreation? I enjoy being outside. Are there any nearby state parks with camping/swimming/hiking?

Any advice on Owensboro would be appreciated!
You better get to love BBQ and Kentucky basketball, lol!

O'boro is a good area, smaller town/city and a nice down home feel.

Everything is laid back, and time runs slower there, especially in the more rural areas outlying the city.

Evansville, IN is about an hour away and has a much better nightlife than O'boro.

Plently of parks and things to do, and it's just a day trip to Nashville, Louisville, Indy and St Louis.

Old 11-28-2007, 03:17 PM
dlt

1 posts, read 3,739 times
Default maybe moving to houstonville, Kentucky

My husband and I are thinking about moving from Burlington, Vermont to Houstonville. Wanting a simplier life thinking ahead to future retirerment. Never been in Kentucky, is this a nice area? I have found just a lovely small horse farm but need to know the good and bad. Anyone have any info??
dlt

Old 11-28-2007, 07:04 PM

8 posts, read 58,510 times
I have twins with autism, too, and am trying desparetly to find out which schools are better. My husband is in Lexington for the next 2 days. I'm hoping he finds out more than I have. I'll let you know if I find anything new.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:29 AM

486 posts, read 1,897,541 times
Lexington is a larger city, but nearly on the same scale as Philadelphia. However, you better get to know UK athletics and in some areas of the bluegrass, BBQ. Now yes Louisville is the larger of the two, but Lexington has more of a "quaint" overall feel compared to the more urban feel of Louisville.
Just for a comparison, here are two links, one for LEX, and one for LOU:
Forbes.com: Forbes Best Places 2004 (http://www.forbes.com/finance/lists/1/2004/LIR.jhtml?passListId=1&passYear=2004&passListType= Misc&uniqueId=2456&datatype=Misc - broken link)
Forbes.com: Lists

Being from Lexington I tend to recommend Lexington over Louisville in that I just have never really found a spot in Louisville (with the exception of Bardstown Road) that I really thought was safe whereas I would walk outside at night in about 3/4 of Lexington.

My maternal family is from Evansville so I have been to Henderson and there really wasn't a lot around with the exception of Ellis Park and Audubon Park. Evansville was once a bustling city during the 50s and 60s and now 2/3 of the city is VERY run down. Deaconess Hospital is still the only large hospital in the city and really the only safe areas of Evansville are from Green River Road and east.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky