Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 10:13 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,884,722 times

Advertisements

Laurel County Library is a midst a large expansion...check it out close.

Laurel County Public Library

http://blog.laurellibrary.org/2015/0...on-sneak-peek/

http://www.sentinel-echo.com/communi...8100461f7.html

Not bad for a little Hillbilly Hick town, huh. Fact is I'll put it up against any.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gniot_group View Post
Hi,

Nice information.....
Hello....Thanks, glad you liked it.

Old 10-29-2015, 05:08 PM

Have you all ever wondered where the containers (barrels) come from that, that wonderful Bourbon is stored in? Well wonder no further....

Stave Mill, Robinson Stave Co., East Bernstadt Cooperage, East Bernstadt, KY, Kentucky - Home Page

And to think, right here in Southeastern Kentucky in a little community (East Bernstadt) just outside London. Be sure and watch their video. They have another youtube video also but, I can't remember the title, sorry.

Anyone have any information on the Bernstadt community and it's origin?

Old 10-30-2015, 05:15 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,503,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogsrus View Post
Have you all ever wondered where the containers (barrels) come from that, that wonderful Bourbon is stored in? Well wonder no further....

Stave Mill, Robinson Stave Co., East Bernstadt Cooperage, East Bernstadt, KY, Kentucky - Home Page

And to think, right here in Southeastern Kentucky in a little community (East Bernstadt) just outside London. Be sure and watch their video. They have another youtube video also but, I can't remember the title, sorry.

Anyone have any information on the Bernstadt community and it's origin?

It was named for the city in Germany where the original settlers came from. Got hit by a tornado on March 2, 2012 that killed 6.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
It was named for the city in Germany where the original settlers came from. Got hit by a tornado on March 2, 2012 that killed 6.
Germany...well. I always thought it was named for a city in Switzerland, Bern, and I ain't for sure but "stadt" in German means, City or maybe Town. Germany and Switzerland, If I remember correctly are kinda close. I do know there is a community in Laurel County known as the Swiss Colony, covers quite a large area. But, I think the only area using that name now is "East" Bernstadt. Youns can correct me if I'm wrong.

I remember the Tornado well. I knew one of those folks quite well some years ago.

Old 10-31-2015, 09:47 AM

You are correct. I pulled out my Kentucky Place names book and Bernstadt was one of a handful
of Swiss colony communities from the late 1800s. Others include Ottenheim in Lincoln Co and Tell City Indiana on the Ohio River. Wealthy Swiss Americans would buy thousands of acres of wilderness to relocate swiss families. 336 families settled Bernstadt, most came from Canton Bern. Last families arrived in 1881

Old 11-29-2015, 10:58 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,579,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
It is Swiss. The area I work in London is called Swiss Colony due to the large number of Swiss that immigrated here in the late 1800's. The school is even called Colony Elementary. There's a neighborhood called Switzerland Trace with street names like Bern Road, Alpine Pass and Matterhorn Drive. Then you have the Swiss Descendents Club. That area west of London has a lot of Swiss influence!

Old 01-16-2016, 11:04 AM

City accepts bids, plans -- Park scheduled to be ready in March - The Sentinel-Echo: Community

Just a little tid-bit of information on things happening in and around London.

While I'm not completely onboard for such projects, I had rather see efforts to increase employment in and around the County rather than promoting recreation. But, as it appears I'm in the minority so, I'll accept it as it is.

If you further investigate articles in the local paper, you will also see an upcoming election to decide the fate if package sales inside the City. Again, I have mixed emotions on the subject....we'll see, Jan.26th. We currently have legal sales of alcohol in restaurants seating, I think, 100 or more and a majority of sales being food. Don't quote me on the particulars on this.

It appears that London is on it's way up so to speak, as well as some surrounding Counties and Cities. What part does alcohol and recreation play in their success?

I'm sure most people that read this has no interest in this either way but, maybe we have a few left to express their opinions on the subjects.

What do youn's think? If you are on the outside looking in, your opinion is welcomed also.

Old 01-16-2016, 04:14 PM

17,351 posts, read 11,312,371 times
I'm from the outside looking in and I think it's wonderful how London is progressing. I see so many improvements happening in the eastern and southern part of the state resulting in property values and population increasing with progress. It's very nice and overdue since it's such a gorgeous area with such natural beauty.
I wish more people would give eastern Kentucky a real chance.

Old 01-16-2016, 04:24 PM

Bottom line is more people value recreation and most people won't live somewhere with limited alcohol sales. It's about trying to attract more jobs. Sometimes to make money you have to spend money. I think park spending is also about promoting health, as we now spend an enormous sum on obesity (pun intended) related conditions. Active people are far less likely to get illnesses that tax payers must pay for when the person is on SS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky