Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 02:19 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,569,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I have the displeasure of driving through Corbin when I go back to TN. It is an absolute eyesore.
What area of Corbin? I wouldn't rate "Carmel, IN" as being anything special.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
London: small town shopping, comparatively/relative clean town for southeast Kentucky, crappy school system. One of the "richer" towns in southeast Kentucky, although that is indeed relative. All in all, still a town that tries to have some civic pride. Closer to massive Lake Cumberland and beautiful Red River Gorge. Slightly closer to Lexington than to Knoxville.

Corbin: small town shopping, town is kind of a dump, but stronger city school system (Corbin Independent). However, the surrounding school systems, Knox County, Whitley County, and Laurel County (of which London is part), which some people from Corbin attend, are terrible. Not as much civic pride traditionally, although at least now they're trying to improve some things. Closer to Cumberland Gap and Big South Fork, which are cool. Pretty bad history of racism. About equidistant between Lexington and Knoxville.

Basically, people from that part of the state or who otherwise cherish rural living are the people who will fit in in London and Corbin. You have to decide for yourself.
Ohhhh, you know nothing about this area. This post certainly shows that. Why do I even respond to anything you post. I need to ignore you.

Old 06-28-2014, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPY1 View Post

Where do folks shop at in/around London for groceries, clothes, etc?
Grocery stores:

Walmart
Kroger on North Main
Kroger on Highway 192
Sav A Lot
Sav U Mor
IGA E.C. Porter's

As for clothes, a lot of London people go to nearby Corbin or for a bigger selection we go to Lexington.
London has several stores for clothes such as Bob's downtown, Burke's Outlet, Goody's and several small local shops for women such as Hill Street Loft, Paperdolls and several others that I can't think of at the moment.

As for schools, best public schools are:

Elementary - Bush
Middle - South Laurel
High - South Laurel

Employment wise, there are a lot of office/call center type jobs here along with factory jobs. The bigger employers are:

Walmart Distribution Center
Serco
General Dynamics
Xerox (Acs)
Hearthside Foods (Laurel Cookie Factory)
Truitt Brothers
Sara Lee Bimbo Bakeries
Mrs Smiths
Senture
Springleaf Financial
Aisin Automotive
ABC Automotive
St. Joseph London
Laurel County Public Schools
SourceHOV

Old 06-28-2014, 03:59 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,799,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Ohhhh, you know nothing about this area. This post certainly shows that. Why do I even respond to anything you post. I need to ignore you.
Hey, sunshine!!!!! We missed you here!

Stevie Wonder - You Are The Sunshine Of My Life.wmv - YouTube

Old 06-29-2014, 04:16 PM

409 posts, read 871,896 times
Public Fishing and Hunting. I can’t really speak to thehunting, but I do know there are several lakes close by that you can fish in-Laurel Lake, Woods Creek, Lake Cumberland.[/SIZE]

Laurel Lake, very nice lake with at least one marina, lesscrowded and smaller than Lake Cumberland. 5,600 acres of water and 200 miles ofshoreline, it has about three campgrounds. Open year round.

]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurel_River_Lake
http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/dbnf/...a/?recid=64851

There are outdoor recreational opportunities as pointed outby others so I will not repeat them. I would mention that there are quite a fewopportunities nearby in the surrounding communities- Cumberland Gap and SouthFork were mentioned.

Employment in the area is a mixture of options. What is your wife’s background? The economy isa mix of services, manufacturing, agriculture, education and retail. London isa regional hub for banking and legal matters. There is also a hospital there ifyour wife has a medical background, however I believe the chain that runs ithas been laying off employees.

Crime- London is a central hub for several law enforcementagencies in the region. This actually have the effect of making it seem thereis more crime than there really is as the agencies are not afraid to put outpress releases pointing out the crimes they’ve solved. That said, there areparts of London/Laurel County where is strongly advised to use common sense, asit true everywhere. [/SIZE]

One advantage London has is its transportation hub. It is the nexus of I-75, US-80, US-25 and many state roadways. Several businesses locate in London because of this. It is possible to get to Knoxville or Lexington in approximately a hour by automobile. There is also a general service airport in London.

As to Corbin, I mentioned it as it is the only incorporated town within 20 miles of London. There are two others just outside the 20 mile radius, Manchester and Mount Vernon. Other nearby towns outside the radius are Williamsburg, Somerset and Barbourville.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:38 AM

39 posts, read 124,250 times
I don't think Corbin is a dump, i think it's a cute litle city. This area has so much to offer, if you know where to look. Of course, your satisfaction level will depend on what you value in life.

Don't believe all the horrible things you read about SE Kentucky. This place is like a hidden jewel. I often think how i don't want others to know, because i want my beloved Kentucky to keep its uniqueness and character.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janeite View Post
I don't think Corbin is a dump, i think it's a cute litle city. This area has so much to offer, if you know where to look. Of course, your satisfaction level will depend on what you value in life.

Don't believe all the horrible things you read about SE Kentucky. This place is like a hidden jewel. I often think how i don't want others to know, because i want my beloved Kentucky to keep its uniqueness and character.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:10 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,799,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
What area of Corbin? I wouldn't rate "Carmel, IN" as being anything special.....
...except it is part of one of the highest income suburban areas in all of North America. That's all. In fact, enough to make even parts of Oldham County, KY look like peanuts.

Old 07-06-2014, 10:02 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,880,609 times
It's obvious to me, that 90 percent of the people responding to this thread knows almost nothing about London and, for me to attempt to made any corrections would only result in an argument...which is the only reason some replied in the first place. And to think..."THEY" call me a troll. I guess it's all in who ye know. It's also sad to see someone legitimately looking for information and all they get is a lot of bs.

All I have to say is, it's (London) ten times a better place to live than lexington or louisville. The violent crime alone is enough for me to avoid either and, I ain't afraid of nothing.

Old 03-29-2015, 12:25 PM

279 posts, read 591,708 times
Bumping this up towards the top again. I wasn't able to get a move with my employer last year and believe there is a good chance this location will be on my transfer list in the upcoming month(s).

I'm still very much considering this corner of Kentucky. I'm very excited about the chance to live in/near a small town.

So I will pose this further question, what is the 'pace' of life like in this area? Are the folk there running around in a rush?

What about income taxes in Corbin vs London? Is there a municipal income tax? What are property tax rates like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky