Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 08:47 AM

409 posts, read 873,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTexans2010 View Post

We've got a pack 'o Beagles, a few good horses, and we hunt, fish and hike the outdoors. Steady church-goers. Been married 49 years. My credo for America: God, guns and guts built it.

Might I fit into the London area? Thanks!

Peace and Blessings to all!
You'll fit in great, come on up for a look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 10:09 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,249,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmagex View Post
We've got a pack 'o Beagles, a few good horses, and we hunt, fish and hike the outdoors. Steady church-goers. Been married 49 years. My credo for America: God, guns and guts built it.

Might I fit into the London area? Thanks!

Peace and Blessings to all!

I agree, perfect fit...sounds like the MO for alot of folks in Kentucky...eastern Kentucky will be right up your alley no doubt! Sounds like a done deal...

By the way....Beatle hounds? Rabbit hunt or Squirrel hunt much?

My late grandfather from western Kentucky, he had some beagles for rabbit hunting, he loved them, and loved fried rabbits and fried squirrel and gravy as well. But, he also had Walkers and Triggs for coon hunting and was a VERY avid fox-hunter as well. He LOVED to hear dogs run....period, as did his brothers and his grandpa before him..

You'll fit in well in Kentucky. Born and raised in Akron? Do you have some "briars" in your family tree? Seems about 50%+ the population of folks in Akron have eastern Kentucky roots...

Old 04-07-2015, 01:43 PM

13 posts, read 27,945 times
Thanks, all, for the mighty fine welcome!

All we're looking for is a place with 5-10 acres, more or less, with a decent "modern" home. We've already had those "charming" (?) century-old homes (one 1854, the other 1880), which we called "Money Pit #1" and "Money Pit #2." Stuff was always busting and no one had any parts from the 1800's! You'd wind up tearing down walls, beams, supports, floors...just to make do. and THAT takes too much time.

It's really comforting to know that good, clean fresh water is so abundant in the Commonwealth. Man--if you've ever gone through droughts or water rationing, you don't know how good you have it.

Our heritage? yeah--we have plenty of "briars!" Our folks come from the "old country" in the 1800s to dig the coal out of the mines in PA and WV. Then, they migrated up to Akron to work in the rubber shops and Cleveland's steel mills. These industries are mostly gone today in Ohio. Sure--there's some "speciality" mills still there (my brother works in one as a crane operator) but, in the main, the mills that employed 3,000-5,000 workers EACH are gone. They were cities like unto themselves; ran 24/7/365. Pay was good but the work was hazardous.

Our Beagles love to hunt the rabbit and squirrel! Man--it's bettern' Beethoven to me when I hear them 'a bayin on a good chase!

One reason we are looking at Kentucky is that it still believes in FREEDOM! Religion, speech, assembly, and firearms. Some of these northern states are downright wacky--I see now where NYC wants to allow 1,000,000 illegal immigrants there to vote in New York City! Nonsense. Let them keep their craziness up there.

Well, gotta go for now! Thanks again, all!

Old 04-07-2015, 02:24 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,249,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTexans2010 View Post
Thanks, all, for the mighty fine welcome!

All we're looking for is a place with 5-10 acres, more or less, with a decent "modern" home. We've already had those "charming" (?) century-old homes (one 1854, the other 1880), which we called "Money Pit #1" and "Money Pit #2." Stuff was always busting and no one had any parts from the 1800's! You'd wind up tearing down walls, beams, supports, floors...just to make do. and THAT takes too much time.

It's really comforting to know that good, clean fresh water is so abundant in the Commonwealth. Man--if you've ever gone through droughts or water rationing, you don't know how good you have it.

Our heritage? yeah--we have plenty of "briars!" Our folks come from the "old country" in the 1800s to dig the coal out of the mines in PA and WV. Then, they migrated up to Akron to work in the rubber shops and Cleveland's steel mills. These industries are mostly gone today in Ohio. Sure--there's some "speciality" mills still there (my brother works in one as a crane operator) but, in the main, the mills that employed 3,000-5,000 workers EACH are gone. They were cities like unto themselves; ran 24/7/365. Pay was good but the work was hazardous.

Our Beagles love to hunt the rabbit and squirrel! Man--it's bettern' Beethoven to me when I hear them 'a bayin on a good chase!

One reason we are looking at Kentucky is that it still believes in FREEDOM! Religion, speech, assembly, and firearms. Some of these northern states are downright wacky--I see now where NYC wants to allow 1,000,000 illegal immigrants there to vote in New York City! Nonsense. Let them keep their craziness up there.

Well, gotta go for now! Thanks again, all!
Well, the term "briars" (briarhoppers) was given to eastern Kentuckians that migrated north to Akron, Cleveland and also Northern Indiana and Michigan for work...

hogsrus on the forum here, he's an ole Harlan County Briar from way back! I'll bet hogs loves him some "red-eye gravy" when he can get some as well? When you get to eastern Kentucky, find a little family owned restaurant that makes a good home cooked breakfast Kentucky style complete with Biscuits and Red-Eye-Gravy....you'll be sure to never leave after that..

Old 04-07-2015, 04:10 PM

16 posts, read 5,697 times
Kentucky Guy born and raised.
Ive been all over this state, and i must say London is one of my favorite places to be.
As far as peace and quiet, outdoor activity's and overall southern hospitality goes.. its got it all.
However i don't know much about the public school system. I can tell you that it must not be so bad though.
Most school systems in kentucky that have a bad rep end up on [domain blocked due to spam].com lol.
I haven't heard a bad word yet. I think London is a wise choice that you wont rethink later

Old 04-12-2015, 11:25 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,882,726 times
You know...I been thinking, I might need to move down to London. What do youns think? I may have talked myself into it.

Old 04-25-2015, 06:29 PM

13 posts, read 27,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmagex View Post
Many Thanks!

will do!

Old 04-25-2015, 08:24 PM

We took a little trip down to London today to take a closer look around to see if anything looks suitable. They were having the Redbud Ride and there were bicycles everywhere. Must be a big deal because I heard on the radio that over 900 bikers had registered for the ride and they were expecting more to register today. Someone told us that they were there from all over the Country. I had heard of a Red Bud Ride before but I thought it was a motorcycle ride...silly me. I rode in a Red Bud "motorcycle" ride once on a motorcycle but it was from Berea to the East maybe ending up in Middledboro, if I remember correctly. Big difference though. I don't think I could ride 100 miles on a pedal machine.

Some really nice places in and around London by the way.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:55 PM

It's official...

Old 07-08-2015, 01:58 PM

536 posts, read 962,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogsrus View Post
It's official...

Are you moving to London Hogrus?? I've been down there, it's a nice area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky