Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 11:27 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,905,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post
The problem you're going to have with Morgantown is that it is 10 miles one way off the interstate. The many times I have driven it, I didn't feel like wanderng that far one way. Really, if weather is not a factor going through Western MD to WV and south to Charleston and West to Lexington is the best route. Otherwise, you have to deal with the turnpike and the tolls. You won't pay a single toll going I-95 to MD and west. You will pay one coming back across the bridge in MD and that is it.

Yes, but the tolls are tiny, not much more than pocket change, and the tollgates get you through very quickly. Not really a factor.

Now, on the other hand, weather IS a factor at that time of the year. So perhaps having a Plan B. backup might be wise, just in case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 11:58 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,632,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyalicia105 View Post
Can of of the North Easterners that now live in KY tell me what the best driving route is to Lexington? Ive looked on map quest and google maps and there both different. Also, they say to drive through Jersey, then PA then MD then WV then KY. My husband heard you can skip Maryland all together?And whats a good half way to point to rent a hotel to rest over night? Im assuming its in WV according to my research
U wont be in maryland but a few miles. U can do the trip in one go, isn't all that far.

To add to the point on 78w... If u are from the north jersey shore that'll make sense.. But if u are like from ocean county, nj. Go PA turnpike west a couple hours and merge onto 81 south. I assure u 81 is a nice road if u want to avoid the trafficy parts of MD. PA turnpike is a straight shoot.... Then u'll turn more south through west virginia. I'm taking this trip on thursday 6 days from now. Google maps is good.

Last edited by dhanu86; 01-19-2013 at 12:06 PM..

Old 01-20-2013, 05:55 AM

638 posts, read 1,282,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Yes, but the tolls are tiny, not much more than pocket change, and the tollgates get you through very quickly. Not really a factor.

Now, on the other hand, weather IS a factor at that time of the year. So perhaps having a Plan B. backup might be wise, just in case.
You're right CC, sometimes the northern way gets the weather in the mountains, and sometimes the southern route gets the snow! We always keep an eye on the weather to determine which route to take this time of year!

Old 01-25-2013, 04:23 PM

302 posts, read 629,938 times
What about driving straight across PA into OH into KY so I can avoid all the mountains and curvy winding roads? I really really want to avoid mountainy scary winding roads and my kids would be scared to death

Old 01-25-2013, 06:20 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,882,726 times
Quote:
What about driving straight across PA into OH into KY so I can avoid all the mountains and curvy winding roads? I really really want to avoid mountainy scary winding roads and my kids would be scared to death

Sure...sounds like a plan to me, just be careful.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:48 PM

Im hearing wild stories about 64 being a nail biter of a ride. Its really scared the crap out of me. So i looked into the Pennsylvania route but you have to travel through all these tunnels cut out of the mountains. I HATE tunnels! Im such a scaredy cat!

Old 01-25-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Im hearing wild stories about 64 being a nail biter of a ride. Its really scared the crap out of me. So i looked into the Pennsylvania route but you have to travel through all these tunnels cut out of the mountains. I HATE tunnels! Im such a scaredy cat!
You might consider coming down I-81 through Va. to I-40 and then to Knoxville then I-75 north into Ky. but, you still got some mountains and the gorge in North Carolina. I don't have any problem with most Interstates even though they may have some mountains but, that's just me. Just got to concentrate on driving like anywhere else.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogsrus View Post
You might consider coming down I-81 through Va. to I-40 and then to Knoxville then I-75 north into Ky. but, you still got some mountains and the gorge in North Carolina. I don't have any problem with most Interstates even though they may have some mountains but, that's just me. Just got to concentrate on driving like anywhere else.
I think that would make my drive longer. So what do you think of 64? Is it really one of those roads that is hugely inclined and hugely steep where you feel like you will fly off the road into the woods lol!!? im a nervous driver. ive never been anywhere but NJ NY and PA. So a long road trip like this has got me a little anxious

Old 01-26-2013, 11:09 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,905,591 times
Quote:
I think that would make my drive longer. So what do you think of 64? Is it really one of those roads that is hugely inclined and hugely steep where you feel like you will fly off the road into the woods lol!!? im a nervous driver. ive never been anywhere but NJ NY and PA. So a long road trip like this has got me a little anxious
Set your mind at rest - once you cross the WVA-KY border into Kentucky , I-64 is easy driving - a few hills and curves, but no mountain climbing and far less traffic than many interstates carry, pretty scenery, and four lane all the way. The Kentucky stretch was in better shape, looked newer and wider, and had less traffic than did the WVA stretch, the last time I drove to Charleston (which is several years ago - things may have changed - more recent info. welcome)- but while the Charleston to Ashland, KY stretch winds a bit, it's a level, valley road. There are mountains and hills on either side, but you won't be climbing them, and it's all four-lane or more. It is a little tricky getting through Charleston itself, as several interstates come together there and you go right through the city, but keep your eye on the signs for I-64 and/or Lexington, and you should be fine. You'll cross the river three or four times in and around Charleston - don't worry, you haven't gone wrong, the Kanawha River just winds around a lot!

Backing up to VA, I-81 is also a valley road - you won't cross mountains until you turn onto I-64 and head west (and I-64 is not mountainous immediately after you turn onto it). There is likely to be considerably more traffic on I-81 than on this stretch of I-64. As you head west towards the VA-WVA border, the road will climb some, but it's not bad driving at all, and you'll soon descend into a pretty, narrow valley, with interesting rock formations atop the mountains to the north. This part of I-64 is less traveled (or was when I was last there).

Once you're past historic Lewisburg, WVA, the road does climb considerably as it leaves the Greenbriad Valley, but it is well-engineered and well-maintained. It is very scenic as well, and crosses the New River, the misnamed oldest river in the world, on a famous bridge.

Once you reach the WVA Turnpike stretch of I-64 at Beckley (where Tamarack is located right beside the road - still hoping you'll stop there!), and head northwest towards Charleston, the road winds through mountains and valleys - mostly valleys - so watch your speed. Again, it's at least four lane and well engineered. As noted, it's pretty level west of Charleston and traffic diminishes once you're outside of Charleston.

Just stop and take breaks here and there to stretch and unwind, and you should be fine.

Just had an idea - you might want to contact each state's highway and tourism departments - they can answer questions about roads and send you maps and lots of other freebies. Also, each state has a website for its division of highways, and there are usually online lists of road construction, etc., which might be helpful in planning your trip.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
I don't think you will have any problems on I-64...like someone else said, it's a well engineered highway and you are capable of traveling safely at the posted speed limit (considering weather). I have traveled I-64 from Lexington all the way to where it intersects with, I think I-77 (?) and, you will have some mountain/hills but like I said it's well engineered. If the speed limit is 70 mph, it was engineered to be safe at that speed. Even though you haven't driven in that kind of terrain, you'll get the hang of it in no time. I have never been to NY or Jersey but, I-64 may be safer to travel on than some of the interstates you drive on regularly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky