Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2007, 07:55 PM

1,712 posts, read 4,232,870 times

Advertisements

Which of these two cities are a better fit for what I am looking for?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...-criteria.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 08:27 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,743,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNative View Post
Which of these two cities are a better fit for what I am looking for?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...-criteria.html
Definitely Louisville. As I have shown before, Louisville is three times larger than Lexington, and there is really no comparison. Louisville is a metro area of 1.2 million, and Lexington is 450k. Louisville is a good, mid sized city that has the cultural atmosphere you are looking for. I think Lexington is a bit too small to offer what you are looking for, although it is a very cultured town with a top flight University and a nice private college.

Louisville has a lot of areas for young singles to meet and greet, and is a much better social scene for 22 and up compared to Lexington. Louisville has a major flagship University, and several smaller ones, inlcuing a nice private Catholic Univeristy. The city is family friendly, safe, and has a moderate amount of diversity in certain areas, although it is pretty uniformly white as major cities go.

Traffic is light, living is easy, and people are friendly. If you search my other posts, you will see I have provided links to provide you with a wealth of information. Louiville has 4 distinct seasons and a low cost of living, with pretty healthy economy. The city has a strong focus on urban development, and its urban neighborhoods and parks are the city's strength, so sprawl is minimal compared to almost any other southern city.

It sounds like Louisville, Raleigh-Durham, Richmond, or Nashville would all be to your liking. Of those four cities, Louisville is most similar in vibe and feel to Richmond, which is near you. Louisville has less sprawl than all these cities, but I feel like Louisville attracts less young professionals in some instances so the social scene can seem more "stagnant." Like its river neighbor Cincinnati, many people here still want to know where you went to HS even if you are 30. It should be noted though that more young professionals with college degrees move into Louisville than out, which was not the case even 15 years ago. Louisville has a surprisingly sophisticated art, music, and cultural scene, and several nightlife districts with strips of bars where young professionals congregate.

Please PM me with specific questions. Your best bet is to search my posts for knowledge about the city. Also, read about the city on Wikipedia. Louisville is going to feel like a small town compared to DC (metro 5 million plus), but I think Lexington would feel like a tiny village, and would be much too small for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
View detailed profiles of: