Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2007, 08:23 AM

2 posts, read 9,647 times

Advertisements

We are moving to KY in a couple of months (job transfer) and have the option to live in Louisville or Lexington.

My biggest concern is getting my kids into the best public schools (9th grade, 6th grade, 4th grade).

Which city has the best schools?

Apart from digging through the statistical data the state provides, what is really going on in these schools? I have done some research on the Jefferson County schools (louisville) and the schools that feed into Ballard HS seem to be some of the better ones in Jefferson County.

I have heard Oldham County schools are the best in the Louisville area, but I do not like be so far out from town.

What about Lexington?

What city is best Louisville or Lexington?

Appreciate any help you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2007, 02:17 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,737,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie05mi View Post
We are moving to KY in a couple of months (job transfer) and have the option to live in Louisville or Lexington.

My biggest concern is getting my kids into the best public schools (9th grade, 6th grade, 4th grade).

Apart from digging through the statistical data the state provides, what is really going on in these schools? I have done some research on the Jefferson County schools (louisville) and the schools that feed into Ballard HS seem to be some of the better ones in Jefferson County.

I have heard Oldham County schools are the best in the Louisville area, but I do not like be so far out from town.

What about Lexington?

Oldham County is probably the best school district in the state, as well as the Anchorage school district in Louisville. Believe it or not, Oldham is sort of a semi-rural/suburban area that is only about 20 minutes from downtown Louisville, so its really not that far. Louisville also has many more and better private schools than Lexington. As I have posted on here earlier, comparing Lexington and Louisville is sort of apples and oranges. To outsiders, they may seem similar, but the fact is that Louisville is 3 times larger. Comparing Lexington and Louisville is sort of like comparing Louisville and say, Saint Louis. There is a pretty substatial difference in size and amenities.

That said, I cant speak to the school situation much as I have no kids, but i do know that Louisville has a very highly regarded school district for it being so large. I would guess that in either city you could find a similar school situation, but i do know that Louisville has a magnet school system which is top notch. If your child excels at art and literature for example, they could go to Manual which is a "magnet" for that curriculum. so I wouldnt really let schools be your deciding factors, as you could find a similar situation in both metro areas.

Old 03-17-2007, 06:30 PM

3 posts, read 14,299 times
Default Louisville or Lexington public schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie05mi View Post

What about Lexington?

Hi,
Our family lived in Louisville for 5 years and there is no such thing as a good public school don there. If you wish your children to be educated they will have to go to a private school. Our daughter went to Christian Academy and it wasn't any better. The tuition was very expensive. We are now back in the midwest and happy. Dont go there-you will regret it

Old 03-17-2007, 07:16 PM

92 posts, read 499,972 times
Moderator cut: ad hominem

Louisville has a great public school sytstem, and a multitude of private options. No worries.

Last edited by Marka; 03-19-2007 at 05:48 AM..

Old 03-18-2007, 06:39 AM

891 posts, read 3,052,560 times
Default schools

Isn't it interesting that someone with no children "knows" how Lexington schools compare to Louisville schools.
Actually Lexington has a great public school system within which are many magnet programs. These include a spanish immersion program, gifted/talented cluster, school for creative and performing arts, math science technology, liberal arts academy, IB to name a few. There are good options within the public system as well as highly regarded private schools.
Lexington is not spread out like Louisville and you won't have to drive an hour to get across town. visitlex.com sums it best, small town feel with big city amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
View detailed profiles of: