Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 07:16 PM
K8B K8B started this thread

1 posts, read 5,175 times

Advertisements

Hello! I'm a senior in High School from a fairly small town in Eastern Kentucky, and I'm debating with myself whether to go to UK in Lexington or University of Louisville in the fall. My two biggest factors: cost and college scene. By college scene, I mean the night life, fun clubs, trendy restaurants, music scene, etc. I'll also add that I would love to hear if anyone knows which has a better Pre-Med program.

I've spent plenty of time in Lexington because my two older sisters went to UK and I really love the whole artsy scene around campus with Sqecial and CD Central, but I briefly spent some time at Ear X-tacy in Louisville and the cute boutiques around it. It seems like Louisville has much more to offer for what I'm looking for, but because I only spent an hour at the most in Louisville, I can't be too sure.

Cost-wise, I hear University of Louisville has slightly cheaper tuition, but what about the apartments near campus? Are they cheaper than Lexington on average? My sisters lived in a fairly nice $400/month apartment in Lexington right next to campus. Can I find a similar deal in Louisville?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 08:28 PM

141 posts, read 752,337 times
Housing is cheaper in Lousiville than in Lexington as a general rule. I was born and raised in Lexington but most of my family lives in Lousiville, and I much prefer Louisville on the whole. Much easier traffic, cheaper housing, and more variety when you go shopping.

That said, driving home to Eastern Ky. for the weekend from Lousiville is quite a haul. A lot of Lexingtonians think nothing of driving an hour or two to go visit the folks at home, driving from Lousiville adds at least another hour.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:26 PM

257 posts, read 881,318 times
the music scene is far superior in louisville. nothing in lexington matches what louisville has on bardstown road.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:05 AM

844 posts, read 2,101,471 times
I agree - go to college in Louisville. I live in Lexington & am not impressed with UK.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:00 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
The bottom line is you should tour both campuses and their surrounding areas and decide which one suits you best. IMO UK overall still has better campus life although U of L has made huge strides in increasing on campus housing and improving the outer parts of campus. Both campuses actually look very similar in their northern halfs, the difference is UK has the arboretum to its south while U of L has an industrial area to its south (mostly abandoned, only one active factory is still there). The main edge I'd give U of L is the much lower amounts of traffic around campus - you can drive the 3 miles from campus to the shops and restaurants at either Bardstown Rd or 4th Street Live in under 7 minutes in rush hour. The traffic around UK is about as bad as Manhattan or Downtown Chicago (I'm only slightly exaggerating)

Another thing they have in common right now is major road projects. South Limestone, the main north bound road through UK, is closed for at least one year to repair sewer lines. The massive Eastern Parkway overpass at U of L is going to be closed later this month and totally replaced, it will also be closed for around 1 year.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:16 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,453,150 times
How about what college has the best program for what you want to major in?

Old 09-03-2009, 08:48 AM

844 posts, read 2,101,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferyT View Post
How about what college has the best program for what you want to major in?
Neither are really at the top of US News & World Report's best college list...

Old 09-03-2009, 06:09 PM

257 posts, read 881,318 times
i thought UK had a pretty decent medical school? not sure about pre med, but medical school in general.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:47 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
Both UK and U of L are good research schools (esp. in medicine) but in terms of academic rankings that are average as public research/ flagship type schools go. I believe UK usually ranks at the very bottom of 1st tier public universities while U of L is either a bottom 2nd tier or top 3rd tier. The past few years both had average freshman ACT scores of 24.3 or so; by comparison top rated Vanderbilt averaged 29 and regional schools like EKU and WKU averaged 19. UK's 6 year retention rate is a good bit better than U of L (60% to 45%), hence the higher academic ranking (retention rates are a large part of rankings).

Old 09-04-2009, 05:50 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,453,150 times
"Neither are really at the top of US News & World Report's best college list..."

I figure he is looking in-state becuase in-state tuition is cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky