Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 12:07 PM

302 posts, read 629,551 times

Advertisements

Ive been talking to several people from KY over the last couple days. Ive looked into forums about other states as well. I have to say hands down you guys seem the happiest and proudest of where you live. Like its heaven on earth and you just want to share it with everyone. And everyone is so friendly. The way you all describe the state, towns and counties you make me want to move there this second
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 12:25 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,532,479 times
You haven't left Jersey yet? What's your problem? lol

Old 11-28-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
You haven't left Jersey yet? What's your problem? lol
LOL!! I have to wait till my house sells and in this economy it could take awhile

Old 11-28-2012, 06:03 PM

407 posts, read 1,263,681 times
We retired here almost 3 years ago and you could not blast me out of Kentucky with dynamite. The trees, the mountains, the lakes, the greenery, the fall, the spring, pick a reason. Also, Kentucky has the lowest utility rates in the country, also property taxes, the most friendly people, great Appalachian arts, tons of small town festivals, a town (Berea) devoted entirely to the arts, waterfalls, places to hike and camp (see Red River Gorge), fishing (see Lake Cumberland and other lakes). I could give you a 100,000 reasons to move here. You will, of course, meet the occasional jerk but I met more hillbilly/redneck/jerks/uneducated idiots when we lived in DC. Haven't met a one here. I don't count the little teenage redneck I met today who thought is was okay to ride the hind end of my little Toyota with his daddy's SUV. I waited until he passed me on the double yellow line, got his tag number, had it ran by a friend at the PD then called daddy to complain. If his dad lets him live, he won't be tail gating any more little old ladies any time soon.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:28 PM

LOL! No one can blast you out...thats funny! That sounds very convincing. I need to come take a vacation

Old 11-28-2012, 06:51 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,658,526 times
We are like rail-riding hobo's. I love to travel and will leave a state on a whim. We've been in KY over 3 years with no plans on leaving anytime soon. Almost North East level job attainability, thriving cultural scenes, spectacular scenery. A great place to live

Old 11-28-2012, 08:27 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyalicia105 View Post
Ive been talking to several people from KY over the last couple days. Ive looked into forums about other states as well. I have to say hands down you guys seem the happiest and proudest of where you live. Like its heaven on earth and you just want to share it with everyone. And everyone is so friendly. The way you all describe the state, towns and counties you make me want to move there this second
Go to quickfacts census website if you want the county by county breakdown in KY. It will give you a much better detailed information on demographics, income, job growth/decline, poverty rates, etc. The best areas for retirees would be outlying towns near Louisville or Lexington with good medical care nearby. Utility rates are lower but air quality is not that great, particularly by the Ohio River. I would not recommend eastern Kentucky. Lexington area is about the furthest east I would venture.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:14 AM

Granite, if they're looking for a good retirement area, go west! Murray, Ky., is a certified retirement community that has also been named Playful City USA for the last two years and 200 Best Communities for the last 3. Murray Kentucky Convention and Visitor's Bureau is your Calloway County and Kentucky Lake area source for lodging listings, dining listings, event listings, attraction listings and more. Murray Kentucky is home to Freedom Fest, Squealing on the Squar There are several good hospitals in the area. Great recreation area around Kentucky Lake, Lake Barkley, and the Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area, all within 25 miles. There's plenty to see and do here in western Kentucky!

Old 11-29-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
We are like rail-riding hobo's. I love to travel and will leave a state on a whim. We've been in KY over 3 years with no plans on leaving anytime soon. Almost North East level job attainability, thriving cultural scenes, spectacular scenery. A great place to live
Id say the fact that you have been there 3 years says something positive! I NEVER moved out of state. So this is HUGE for me and honestly a bit scary. All Ive ever know is NJ and Im sick of it !

Old 11-29-2012, 03:37 PM

Alicia, like I've told people on here and I've seen others suggest, pick a date and come down for a week or so. Drive around and check out different parts of the state. Then you can decide which area you'd like to move to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky