Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 05:00 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,890,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I'm not sure what I said that led to the "lesson" but my post was about faith not science and yes, as someone with a master's degree and many science classes under my belt, I know what science is and how it differs from religious faith....I was trying to explain what religious faith is to those who apparently don't understand what it is.
You really think that they don't understand what religious faith is??? Are you serious? Don't you think that's a little condescending? Just because they don't agree with you doesn't mean they don't understand the concept of faith. That kind of statement is exactly why Christians get such a bad rap.

NEWSFLASH! There are people in this world who hold different religious views than do you. That doesn't mean they lack faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 05:20 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
Really look at the posts discussing science - arguing science over faith/religion....obviously there are people on this thread that do not know what religious faith is - thus my post.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:25 PM

163 posts, read 428,603 times
Thank you mississippimagnolia. I think Cattknap may have misinterpreted some of my postings. The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

And pjstroh, you make excellent points.

It's like a breath of (reasonable) fresh air has swept into this thread!

Old 10-19-2010, 10:33 PM

163 posts, read 428,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Feathers View Post
Has anyone read about the Inca burial stones yet? I'd like to hear opinions on them from the nay-sayers.
Wing, I had heard of the Ica stones before, but I went back and did some more research to refresh my memory. Yes, I used the Google on the intertube machine.

After reading info from both proponents and critics of the stones, I don't think this provides irrefutable evidence that early humans lived with dinosaurs (or that they practiced advanced surgical techniques and had flying machines). Perhaps the best evidence that these stones are a hoax lies in the fact that a local farmer admitted to faking them and no one has been able to identify the actual location (I believe it is said to be a cave near Ica) the stones originated from. The physician who popularized the stones, Cabrera, actually used them as evidence of early human extraterrestrial contact. While an interesting theory, I would prefer more substantial evidence before I believe such a far-fetched idea. I also wonder why the only artifacts of such an advanced civilization would be crude drawings left in stone.

Of course, it is noteworthy that scientists have not been able to accurately date the stones, denying that level of credibility to either side of the debate. The farmer was also able to avoid jail time by admitting he was faking the stones, casting some doubt on the truth of his admission. It also seems there is a rumor that some stones were discovered by early Spanish explorers in the 1500s and sent back to Spain, although those stones have conveniently disappeared.

It seems that most of the advocates of the authenticity of the Ica stones are trying to support either the Extraterrestrial or the Creationist viewpoint, while experts in the fields of geology, archaeology and anthropology tend to be critical of the Ica stones' authenticity. To throw in my own sociological 2 cents, even if some of the stones were carved by early civilizations, it is doubtful whether we can ever interpret the meanings of such stones accurately, as our worldview is constrained by our own knowledge and culture.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:47 AM

844 posts, read 2,101,829 times
Thank you for a civil discussion rather than religious intolerance

However, Archaeologists (or any career field, really) are too quick to dismiss anything which defies the investment in their degrees, and threatens their job security. From what I understand they don't even bother dating things anymore. To save time they just look at the surrounding dirt in which something was found & call it a day. Such shortcuts are backed up by peers, after all that is all that matters, right? It's like mafia mentality... "how many people got my back?" I saw serious flaws with such herd mentality while in grad school

Old 10-20-2010, 09:36 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,890,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Feathers View Post
Thank you for a civil discussion rather than religious intolerance

However, Archaeologists (or any career field, really) are too quick to dismiss anything which defies the investment in their degrees, and threatens their job security. From what I understand they don't even bother dating things anymore. To save time they just look at the surrounding dirt in which something was found & call it a day. Such shortcuts are backed up by peers, after all that is all that matters, right? It's like mafia mentality... "how many people got my back?" I saw serious flaws with such herd mentality while in grad school
I started to type a response. But I just can't.

Wow. Just wow.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:46 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
I started to type a response. But I just can't.

Wow. Just wow.
Thats about all I can say, either.
I do seriously question where the poster got their info......and the grad degree.........

Old 10-20-2010, 09:55 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,850,289 times
This thread is hilarious!

Old 10-20-2010, 10:16 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
I have not visited the Creation Museum nor would I make the trip to see it..I am a believer who also believes the scientific facts of evolution, and a very old earth.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:31 AM

844 posts, read 2,101,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
Wow. Just wow.
A PhD candidate, I see

I suggest that, as always, you study up on things before you speak. Plenty of doubt out there about peer reviewing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky