Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 06:20 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,490,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Feathers View Post
Here is an example of how "off" science can be when trying to piece together what they don't know:
Early Dinosaurs Had Feathers, New Fossil Suggests

Had anyone suggested 10 years ago that dinos had feathers, they would have been laughed out of the community. 2009? Not so much. I recommend reading up on these new findings which challenge what most street people know about dinos (learned from Jurassic Park no doubt LOL).

Has anyone read about the Inca burial stones yet? I'd like to hear opinions on them from the nay-sayers.
I'm still waiting for you to swear off any type of modern medicine, which without science we'd never have. You think it just fell from the heavens??

So, yeah. I'm sure you'll get right on that, huh. Why do I bother??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 06:22 PM

163 posts, read 428,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Feathers View Post
Here is an example of how "off" science can be when trying to piece together what they don't know:
Early Dinosaurs Had Feathers, New Fossil Suggests.

Now this is what I'm talking about!

My view on science may be different than others, but I tend to see it as a dynamic, never ending process, rather than a set of definitive beliefs. (Which is likely the source of my discomfort with anyone saying "I'm right because I know I am.") Again, this supports the subjective view of experience in this world that is constantly changing and adapting. We can never know the definitive truth, and in this way we are all limited. But that does not mean we should discount what we currently know or stop searching for new knowledge! Perhaps someday we will even discover indications that man lived with dinosaurs.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:22 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,021,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notthatgirl View Post
Now this is what I'm talking about!

My view on science may be different than others, but I tend to see it as a dynamic, never ending process, rather than a set of definitive beliefs. (Which is likely the source of my discomfort with anyone saying "I'm right because I know I am.") Again, this supports the subjective view of experience in this world that is constantly changing and adapting. We can never know the definitive truth, and in this way we are all limited. But that does not mean we should discount what we currently know or stop searching for new knowledge! Perhaps someday we will even discover indications that man lived with dinosaurs.
Exactly!
Kind of reminds me of what the Catholic Church did to Galileo when he had the temerity to suggest that the Earth was not the center of the solar system.
How long did it take the Church to admit they were wrong? And why was it they excommunicated Galileo?

Old 10-18-2010, 07:22 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,057,539 times
No insults were ever intended - you have made your position perfectly clear and obviously you are defensive about your stance when you are confronted.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:27 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,891,567 times
I would like to take my kids. We are a Christian family. I would like my kids to see exactly what happens when people of faith are unable to reconcile SCIENCE with religion. There really should never be a conflict because Religion and Science ask completely different questions. The Bible was never intended to be used as a Science book. Genesis is a beautiful poem about creation. The writer wasn't trying to teach a lesson on the technical aspects of creation. He was simply admiring the handiwork in a beautifully written poem.

I'm thankful that the good Lord gave us brains. And I'm glad he gave us the desire to study this beautiful universe. I'm thankful that scientist don't take the same position that ultra-fundie Christians do. I'm glad they are willing to ask questions, test hypothesis, and ignore the completely illogical cries of those who insist that the world is only 6,000 years old and that humans hung out with dinosaurs.

I want to teach my kids to think critically. I think a visit to a creationists "museum" represents the perfect opportunity to allow them to compare junk "science" to what they saw at the Natural History Museums in Washington D.C. for example.

Again, I am a Christian. I've never found that the Big Bang Theory or Evolution were in any way at odds with my Christian faith. I understand that kids only know what they are taught. If they are only exposed to Bible stories, they have no way of understanding actual Science. But quite honestly, it terrifies me to think that there are actually adults walking around who don't believe in evolution.

Last edited by mississippimagnolia; 10-19-2010 at 10:38 AM.. Reason: clarity

Old 10-19-2010, 10:46 AM

844 posts, read 2,102,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
I'm still waiting for you to swear off any type of modern medicine, which without science we'd never have. You think it just fell from the heavens??

So, yeah. I'm sure you'll get right on that, huh. Why do I bother??
You can't use Google, so I throw you a bone. In return, you STILL can't comment on the issue at hand... but instead take the time to post HATRED and BIGOTRY. It's no wonder you are very unpopular in these parts

Old 10-19-2010, 10:57 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,490,103 times
Yup, and you're avoiding the question because you know you're being extremely hypocritical. You can't have it both ways, sweety. Bashing science & research left & right, then taking advantage of them whenever it suits you.

And I'm only unpopular here with the likes of you & a couple other nut jobs with agendas. Sorry, if you post BS, I'm probably gonna call you out on it. Don't like it? Don't post stuff on an internet forum & keep it to yourselves.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:43 AM

88 posts, read 273,770 times
I have been there.

Lets be respectful to Wing. Lets also be clear about some FACTS that science knows to be 100% true and the Creation Museum has 100% wrong...factually.

1) Human beings did not walk the earth at the same time as dinosaurs. Thats not a guess and you dont need carbon dating to prove it. Dinosaur bones are buried in layers of rock that are millions of years older than any that humans appear in. Its Geology 101.

2) The earth was not created 6000 years ago in 7 days. You can believe God created earth, or you can believe he did not. What you can not say with any kind of credibility is the earth was created 6000 years ago. Again. Geology 101 says otherwise. We would not have things like diamonds if the earth was only 6k years old.

I am not so arrogant as to say I have all the answers about the creation of the Universe...I just know what science has proved and what they have not. The Creation Museum is so arrogant as to say they have the answers about the creation of the Universe - and they dont care what facts get in their way.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:04 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,891,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
See that is the thing about faith - a deep abiding faith in something - it is subjective and personal and I truly pity people who haven't had the experience of having faith in something bigger and better than they think man is....you have a big void in your life of which you know nothing about.

Faith and Science are two completely different things. They ask totally different questions. Science attempts to answer questions about our physical world. Faith, spirituality and religion attempt to answer questions about things outside of our physical world...our souls, morality, God, afterlife....

Scientific method involves hypothesis, prediction, testing, and conclusions based on reproducible, peer reviewed methods.

Faith, spirituality, and religion ask questions about things outside of our physical world. Questions about the meaning of life, is there a God? why do we suffer? What are morals? ...are simply beyond the scope of Science. These aren't testable.

Using religion in an attempt to discredit science simply makes religious people look silly. Do scientific theories change? Of course. But they aren't changed by religion. They are changed by additional, solid, peer reviewed scientific discovery.

(*hint for those of you suggesting that humans hung out with dinosaurs...I saw the link...the keyword is PEER reviewed. And peer, we mean well respected, educated, peers.)

Old 10-19-2010, 03:50 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,057,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
Faith and Science are two completely different things. They ask totally different questions. Science attempts to answer questions about our physical world. Faith, spirituality and religion attempt to answer questions about things outside of our physical world...our souls, morality, God, afterlife....

Scientific method involves hypothesis, prediction, testing, and conclusions based on reproducible, peer reviewed methods.

Faith, spirituality, and religion ask questions about things outside of our physical world. Questions about the meaning of life, is there a God? why do we suffer? What are morals? ...are simply beyond the scope of Science. These aren't testable.

Using religion in an attempt to discredit science simply makes religious people look silly. Do scientific theories change? Of course. But they aren't changed by religion. They are changed by additional, solid, peer reviewed scientific discovery.

(*hint for those of you suggesting that humans hung out with dinosaurs...I saw the link...the keyword is PEER reviewed. And peer, we mean well respected, educated, peers.)
I'm not sure what I said that led to the "lesson" but my post was about faith not science and yes, as someone with a master's degree and many science classes under my belt, I know what science is and how it differs from religious faith....I was trying to explain what religious faith is to those who apparently don't understand what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky