Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 02:18 PM

688 posts, read 3,042,304 times

Advertisements

As rated by Parents' Magazine:
Best Cities 2010: 10 Best Cities for Education - Parenting.com

Lexington also ranked #5 in the 10 Best Overall Cities for Families!
Best Cities for Families 2010 - Parenting.com

And yes - I know the nay-sayers will soon post and I'm sure we all understand the controversies of these type of ratings, but I wanted to share some good PR!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 03:13 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,820,033 times
Three words:

What...the...#*@# ?

Thanks to Parenting magazine for my laugh of the day!

Last edited by EclecticEars; 07-27-2010 at 03:24 PM..

Old 07-27-2010, 03:20 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,207,423 times
Real good for education. Where do they all go? Surely they don't stay in Ky.
If the education is so good how come so many people still say 'done did', 'done went', and that Kentucky has the only creation museum.
Maybe if those grads from U of L and UK would stay!

Old 07-27-2010, 04:50 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,583,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlschr0 View Post
As rated by Parents' Magazine:
Best Cities 2010: 10 Best Cities for Education - Parenting.com

Lexington also ranked #5 in the 10 Best Overall Cities for Families!
Best Cities for Families 2010 - Parenting.com

And yes - I know the nay-sayers will soon post and I'm sure we all understand the controversies of these type of ratings, but I wanted to share some good PR!

Good post nlschr0

Old 07-27-2010, 04:51 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,583,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Three words:

What...the...#*@# ?

Thanks to Parenting magazine for my laugh of the day!

Oh imagine that, a positive post brings Mr. Negative "Electric Ears" from hiding.

Old 07-27-2010, 05:01 PM

3 posts, read 6,153 times
If I'm not mistaken, I believe UK's law program is one of the top 5 programs in the country. I know the med. research division is growing.... ranked in the top ten. As for why people don't stay, probably because a mass amount of students are migrating students from other states and a plethora from other countries. The new 10mil Appalachian Research Education Grant should help curve that somewhat though.

Old 07-27-2010, 05:19 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,813,040 times
Please don't call me a Kentucky naysayer but shouldn't they have taken consideration that KY nationally does not perform well in K-12 education? Maybe for post-secondary education Lou and Lex would be in the top 10 but not for public K-12.

I just went through the list and I would not put any kid into any of these systems. Charlotte MAYBE. In my view Virginia Beach, VA is way better than all these systems. The biggest WTF was Toledo.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:37 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,112,895 times
Toledo actually has a pretty good school system for a city of its demographics and size.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:04 AM

407 posts, read 1,265,938 times
As a retired teacher, these stats just prove what I have been saying for more than 40 years....nationally mormed tests mean nothing and to base your child's entrance into a school district where you believe that said tests indicates that particular school system performs well is absurd. Sounds to me like Lexington and Louisville teachers are actually "teaching the student." Way back in the stone age of my college days, one old education prof had this to say: "If you want to be an exceptional teacher, teach the student not the text or the tests." I lived by that rule all of my 24 years as a teacher in a public school system/district/state that is ranked lower than Kentucky in academics and overall performance. Kudos to both cities!

Old 07-30-2010, 11:59 PM

914 posts, read 1,987,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
Toledo actually has a pretty good school system for a city of its demographics and size.
As someone who has lived in both Lexington and Toledo I can say without a doubt that Lexington's school system blows Toledo's public school system out of the water. Toledo does have very strong private schools since no one sends their kids to the public schools. I went to med school in Toledo and there was not a single person in my class that went to a Toledo public schools. Of the ~25 or so from metro Toledo in my class every one of them went to a suburban school district or one of the private schools.

Despite what people on here say, Lexington has one of the best public school systems in the country for a city its size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
View detailed profiles of: