Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2023, 08:56 AM

3,920 posts, read 6,835,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-guy View Post
It's not that big a deal.... California requires solar panels on new homes.

I don't know why everyone seems to be crying about it. It's like crying that a home requires inspections. Costs money, doesn't hurt.
Home inspections are generally for safety and structural issues. Nobody would argue those are necessary. An EV outlet in the garage is not necessary for either of those issues.

I'm not going to start protesting downtown over it, but I don't think it's something the government needs to involve themselves in. It makes home ownership more expensive and adds a layer of bureaucracy that isn't necessary.

As I mentioned, it also doesn't make sense because they are arbitrarily deciding that EV outlets are important while ignoring other "good idea" upgrades for new homes like Air Fryers and Salt Water pools. What about water saving toilets or sustainably source flooring? Again, it's just not the governments place. It's the principal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2023, 09:11 AM

4,511 posts, read 5,052,966 times
I'm not convinced that EV will become the standard that the backers seem to believe. There are already 'blackouts' in many parts of the country. Adding the amount of electricity that will be need to be generated will take time. And making a charger mandatory is just plain foolish. One could be added if needed for a minimal cost at any time.
By the way, I think "EV" stands for "Edsel, fifth edition". Most of you younger folks will have to look that up, and know Roman numerals.

Old 05-09-2023, 01:55 PM

1,131 posts, read 2,025,613 times
What a complete waste of the Legislature's time. This will become standard builder practice in short order as new home buyers demand it. The market will take care of it.

Last edited by madpaddy; 05-09-2023 at 03:18 PM..

Old 05-09-2023, 02:29 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,997,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Home inspections are generally for safety and structural issues. Nobody would argue those are necessary. An EV outlet in the garage is not necessary for either of those issues.

I'm not going to start protesting downtown over it, but I don't think it's something the government needs to involve themselves in. It makes home ownership more expensive and adds a layer of bureaucracy that isn't necessary.

As I mentioned, it also doesn't make sense because they are arbitrarily deciding that EV outlets are important while ignoring other "good idea" upgrades for new homes like Air Fryers and Salt Water pools. What about water saving toilets or sustainably source flooring? Again, it's just not the governments place. It's the principal.
The reason why you can add an air fryer easily to your house is because there are codes(laws) that specify the number of outlets per length of kitchen countertop as well as their location. In addition the maximum number of outlets that can be added to a circuit. Air fryers for instance should not be plugged into extension cords. I have lived in older housing and adding stuff that was not planned to be there can kick off a cascade of expensive upgrades.

A good example would be adding a dishwasher to one of the houses I lived in. The old house would have needed not just an outlet and some plumbing work but new cabinets because the cabinets were not standard sized. Even adding a microwave to that kitchen needed an outlet(cause there were none on the countertop—It was that old.) However, due the age of the house it also caused the fuse box to be replaced with a circuit breaker.

The house I live in now has a detached garage. While it does have a standard outlet, the outlet is shared. An EV wither on 120 or 240V needs a separate line. To run the separate line out to the garage would require burying the cable and if you go with 240V 50 amp might require the service to the house to be increased to 220amps. Even if I could use the current outlet, it position is not ideal. A cord stretched across would block access to the door. Having codes in place makes this much easier.

As for the Salt water pool it is large, and causes insurance issues as well a safety issues (Children have gone into a neighbors pool and drowned). Many homeowners don’t want the liability. There are already codes for water saving toilets on the books and laws requiring that trees harvested for wood be replanted.

Old 05-09-2023, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
The reason why you can add an air fryer easily to your house is because there are codes(laws) that specify the number of outlets per length of kitchen countertop as well as their location. In addition the maximum number of outlets that can be added to a circuit. Air fryers for instance should not be plugged into extension cords. I have lived in older housing and adding stuff that was not planned to be there can kick off a cascade of expensive upgrades.

A good example would be adding a dishwasher to one of the houses I lived in. The old house would have needed not just an outlet and some plumbing work but new cabinets because the cabinets were not standard sized. Even adding a microwave to that kitchen needed an outlet(cause there were none on the countertop—It was that old.) However, due the age of the house it also caused the fuse box to be replaced with a circuit breaker.

The house I live in now has a detached garage. While it does have a standard outlet, the outlet is shared. An EV wither on 120 or 240V needs a separate line. To run the separate line out to the garage would require burying the cable and if you go with 240V 50 amp might require the service to the house to be increased to 220amps. Even if I could use the current outlet, it position is not ideal. A cord stretched across would block access to the door. Having codes in place makes this much easier.

As for the Salt water pool it is large, and causes insurance issues as well a safety issues (Children have gone into a neighbors pool and drowned). Many homeowners don’t want the liability. There are already codes for water saving toilets on the books and laws requiring that trees harvested for wood be replanted.
You're not understanding my point. By Air Fryer I was referring to the free standing oven/air fryer combos which are electric. There is no law in place to require air frying ranges over traditional gas/electric ovens. Despite traditional ovens using more electricity and gas ovens potential link to cancer, they let the consumer decide which range to buy. Why though? It's because they leave it up to consumer CHOICE.

Pools are a liability but there are no laws about how you keep it clean. Salt water vs chlorinated pools is what I was referring to, not the presence of a pool. Salt water pools use less chemicals, they are cheaper to maintain, and they are better for the environment but you don't see legislation that restricts the consumers to CHOOSE what they want.

Same with sustainable wood use in homes. There is sustainable logging practices but nothing that restricts the homeowners CHOICE on what to install in their home.

You just keep arguing about what makes sense for consumers but my argument isn't that at all. It's what is the governments role in FORCING your decision on what goes in your home. If you can make a valid point on why the government should decide what you put in your home then I will be happy to hear you out. For now you keep promoting the benefits to consumers on what's installed. That's irrelevant because the builders are going to build houses FOR the consumer, not the other way around. If the benefits are as great as you say, then it's a no brainer for consumers and developers. Developers will put in what consumers want, there is no need for government to force them to do anything IMO.

Old 05-09-2023, 03:22 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,997,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
You're not understanding my point. By Air Fryer I was referring to the free standing oven/air fryer combos which are electric. There is no law in place to require air frying ranges over traditional gas/electric ovens. Despite traditional ovens using more electricity and gas ovens potential link to cancer, they let the consumer decide which range to buy. Why though? It's because they leave it up to consumer CHOICE.
Not all Air fry combo ovens are electric, I have a gas one. It needed no upgrades because I had a gas outlet.
Also you can easily replace them because a new house already supports them. In addition(I have both an air fryer oven and a air fryer toaster oven)....stand alone air fryers are better.

Quote:
Pools are a liability but there are no laws about how you keep it clean. Salt water vs chlorinated pools is what I was referring to, not the presence of a pool. Salt water pools use less chemicals, they are cheaper to maintain, and they are better for the environment but you don't see legislation that restricts the consumers to CHOOSE what they want.
There are laws regarding standing water and the treatment is both to ensure that you don't pass disease in the water as well as to prevent mosquitos. In this the salt water pool complies with the law. Laws can be changed or written in such a way to allow flexibility. For instance the U.S. Constitution allows state legislatures to choose how they allocate electoral votes. It does not require that the people be able to vote in Presidential elections.

Quote:
Same with sustainable wood use in homes. There is sustainable logging practices but nothing that restricts the homeowners CHOICE on what to install in their home.
How many people are going to go through the expense and hassle to import wood from a country that does not have laws regarding the replacement of trees?

Quote:
You just keep arguing about what makes sense for consumers but my argument isn't that at all. It's what is the governments role in FORCING your decision on what goes in your home. If you can make a valid point on why the government should decide what you put in your home then I will be happy to hear you out.
There are laws regarding what you must put in your home(Smoke detectors, CO detectors). The city currently has a law regarding the minimum size of a bath room to make it easier for a handicaped person to retrofit

Quote:
For now you keep promoting the benefits to consumers on what's installed. That's irrelevant because the builders are going to build houses FOR the consumer, not the other way around. If the benefits are as great as you say, then it's a no brainer for consumers and developers. Developers will put in what consumers want, there is no need for government to force them to do anything IMO.
They don't put in what consumers want. They build for codes. Additional stuff that might help sell the house might be added to a high end house but they must build to code. For instance the reason why bedrooms in houses have a window in your is to allow for an additional method of escape(i.e. A ladder can be put up to it and it is sized that a person can get out of it.)

Last edited by chirack; 05-09-2023 at 04:02 PM..

Old 05-10-2023, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Not all Air fry combo ovens are electric, I have a gas one. It needed no upgrades because I had a gas outlet.
Also you can easily replace them because a new house already supports them. In addition(I have both an air fryer oven and a air fryer toaster oven)....stand alone air fryers are better.

There are laws regarding standing water and the treatment is both to ensure that you don't pass disease in the water as well as to prevent mosquitos. In this the salt water pool complies with the law. Laws can be changed or written in such a way to allow flexibility. For instance the U.S. Constitution allows state legislatures to choose how they allocate electoral votes. It does not require that the people be able to vote in Presidential elections.

How many people are going to go through the expense and hassle to import wood from a country that does not have laws regarding the replacement of trees?

There are laws regarding what you must put in your home(Smoke detectors, CO detectors). The city currently has a law regarding the minimum size of a bath room to make it easier for a handicaped person to retrofit

They don't put in what consumers want. They build for codes. Additional stuff that might help sell the house might be added to a high end house but they must build to code. For instance the reason why bedrooms in houses have a window in your is to allow for an additional method of escape(i.e. A ladder can be put up to it and it is sized that a person can get out of it.)
Well I can't argue with someone who isn't even debating the same topic. You're still missing my points entirely. I really don't know what to say to help you understand that the argument is about the governments role in consumerism NOT related to safety codes or ADA laws or anything else that involves keeping people safe and allowing access for all. Since you don't seem to grasp the difference in an EV outlet vs a secondary fire exit in a bedroom, I pray you're not out there voting for this bill.

Old 05-10-2023, 09:36 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,876,931 times
wow this seems like a huuuuuuuge win for the companies that built the chargers. well-done, lobby-ers.

Old 05-10-2023, 09:47 AM

4,861 posts, read 6,926,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
wow this seems like a huuuuuuuge win for the companies that built the chargers. well-done, lobby-ers.
Good call. Follow the money. A good start would be to see what companies/CEO's from EV charger businesses gave money to which politicians.

Old 05-10-2023, 02:15 PM

4,022 posts, read 1,876,931 times
Well - all the big manufacturers - many not USA based - build EV chargers. It would be hard to sort the motives of each one when they're lobbying - as they have multiple causes to champion. But in the end - if they get SOMETHING - then it was a success.

But the next step will already be in play. Who builds the houses? That GC will have to make a deal with SOMEONE to buy chargers. It won't be the manufacturer - nope - but the distributor, three layers removed. The useless middle-men. There's probably already some (literal) arm-twisting going on to "make a deal" for those things. So you wouldn't have to represent the maker of the EV charger - just the seller - to want this deal to pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
View detailed profiles of: