Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2023, 07:14 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,588,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
THIS ^^^^

No reason to force it on home builders, especially when an EV CAN be charged using 110amps. It's just slower. It's like forcing a home to wire for solar panels when it's uncertain if any future owner would even want them. Makes no sense.

The infrastructure is the expensive part. Chargers come with the car. The infrastructure is really about running a 220amp service which isn't common in today's households. There is no reason they should make it mandatory especially when we don't yet know how we will support an EV in all homes on the electric grid.
I disagree with this legislation, however lots of parts of the country have dedicated circuits at time of construction for golf carts, and 220 is useful for air compressors or welders. Again, I dont agree with it being mandatory, but since it already in the house, wiring it to the garage isn't a bad idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2023, 07:20 PM

3,918 posts, read 6,829,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
It is much slower. 110 will give about 3-5 mile of range per hour depending on car and charger. It is fine for someone that drives under 30 to 50 miles a day and can charge all night(8 hours--i.e. a Sunday driver) but most people need something a little faster. In addition the 110 needs to be on it's own line for safety reasons because having an EV is like having a large appliance on the outlet and it can overload it if other large items are on the same circuit. If you were to go on a trip that drained your vehicle it could take anywhere from 24 hours to 48 hours to fully charge the car(depending on the model). This is fine for someone who does not need to drive to work, but if you need to travel 30miles to work and 30 miles back as well as us the heat or A.C. this is not going to keep up and if you drain your battery after a road trip Sunday and need to drive to work Monday you could have trouble because at best you would only have 40 miles of charge after a 8 hour over night season.

Level 2 charging is more than twice as fast. A 240V line that has 30Amps(The kind for a dryer) can give around 20 miles per hour. One that has 50AMP(like for an oven) can give around 30 miles per hour. The reason why you want the faster charge is because you don't want to need to charge the car every night to be able to get back to work and you might like to make a few trips from time to time. There are higher AMP ones that can be added but they are the kind that need to be wired in but a 30-50 amp line should be just fine. Also like the 110 outlet the EV needs to be on it's own line for safety.

Not really. There are the level 2 chargers that can do like 40-80mile per hour but they are the kind that need special wiring. Also the grid will simply add capacity over time and it helps if not every car is plugged in every night all night to get charged.
I understand how EV chargers and cars work. My neighbor has an EV and had to install the outlet for 220 to his garage. If someone wants 220 service they can add it later fairly easily, no need to make it mandatory. I would probably add it myself if I were building, but again I don't agree with it being MANDATORY. It's government overreach in my opinion.

Old 05-08-2023, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Arrow View Post
70% of new ovens are electric, which require 220. I would think and hope that almost every new home comes with 220.
Did you even read the article? It's about a 220 outlet in a garage. Making that mandatory for all new construction.

Old 05-08-2023, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
I disagree with this legislation, however lots of parts of the country have dedicated circuits at time of construction for golf carts, and 220 is useful for air compressors or welders. Again, I dont agree with it being mandatory, but since it already in the house, wiring it to the garage isn't a bad idea.
I agree it isn't a bad idea to include, but I don't think it should be mandatory. It's government overreach.

Old 05-08-2023, 07:36 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,994,276 times
Quote:
I agree it isn't a bad idea to include, but I don't think it should be mandatory. It's government overreach.
There are regulations involving the number and type of outlets in homes today mostly for reasons of safety as well as convivence. EV's are gaining popularity and frankly could replace the gas powered car over time. As it stands now about the only advantage ICE has over electric is for things like road trips and because current housing does not support EV charging(without expensive upgrades). It is generally cheaper to maintain and often has faster acceleration. It is FAR and easier cheaper to add something at the start than to try to retrofit it latter. It adds less than 1% to the cost of a new house, that is nothing. Also as mentioned before new homes already have 200amp service(since 2015). The things it might not have are room in the breaker box and wiring to support 240V to the garage.

Last edited by chirack; 05-08-2023 at 07:50 PM..

Old 05-09-2023, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
There are regulations involving the number and type of outlets in homes today mostly for reasons of safety as well as convivence. EV's are gaining popularity and frankly could replace the gas powered car over time. As it stands now about the only advantage ICE has over electric is for things like road trips and because current housing does not support EV charging(without expensive upgrades). It is generally cheaper to maintain and often has faster acceleration. It is FAR and easier cheaper to add something at the start than to try to retrofit it latter. It adds less than 1% to the cost of a new house, that is nothing. Also as mentioned before new homes already have 200amp service(since 2015). The things it might not have are room in the breaker box and wiring to support 240V to the garage.
All great points, still doesn't mean it should be mandatory... Still have yet to hear an argument on why governments should be allowed to force someone to build a home in support of a product that not everyone needs or wants.

Some people don't even own cars. Why would they need an EV charger in the garage? It's not about safety. It's about limiting the barriers for people to choose EV over ICE. That's NOT the governments job.

Old 05-09-2023, 07:38 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,918,406 times
Quote:
All great points, still doesn't mean it should be mandatory... Still have yet to hear an argument on why governments should be allowed to force someone to build a home in support of a product that not everyone needs or wants.

Some people don't even own cars. Why would they need an EV charger in the garage? It's not about safety. It's about limiting the barriers for people to choose EV over ICE. That's NOT the governments job.
Great post. My feelings exactly.

Old 05-09-2023, 07:45 AM

11,403 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Arrow View Post
70% of new ovens are electric, which require 220. I would think and hope that almost every new home comes with 220.
Washers and dryers are on 220 or 240 volt as well. This doesn't seem like a large expense.

I hate government intervation and overregulation, but this seems like a prudent and forward-thinking requirement to me.

How long does a house last, 80 years? More?

With the leap in EV technology, it seems prudent to me to plan for the contingency that most people may be driving EVs 30 or 40 years from now. Why have to retrofit the line in the wall? I think it is prudent to have that service installed in the garage in a new home today.

I don't see a problem here and I can't imagine that adding another line like what you have for your electric clothes dryer or electric stove. This isn't like being forced to add a solar array to the roof of your home.

Old 05-09-2023, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Washers and dryers are on 220 or 240 volt as well. This doesn't seem like a large expense.

I hate government intervation and overregulation, but this seems like a prudent and forward-thinking requirement to me.

How long does a house last, 80 years? More?

With the leap in EV technology, it seems prudent to me to plan for the contingency that most people may be driving EVs 30 or 40 years from now. Why have to retrofit the line in the wall? I think it is prudent to have that service installed in the garage in a new home today.

I don't see a problem here and I can't imagine that adding another line like what you have for your electric clothes dryer or electric stove. This isn't like being forced to add a solar array to the roof of your home.
I said being forced to add the wiring for a solar array, not the array itself. It's the same thing. If the future is green EV's then why wouldn't solar be a supplement to that? You can say it's a good idea to add an EV outlet all you want but it doesn't change the fact that making it mandatory is overstepping their boundary. Adding solar wiring would be no different.

I'm not talking about what makes sense for future proofing. I am talking about what the governments role is or isn't. It's role is NOT to make homes future proof for their owners. If that's the argument then why don't they require Air Fryers instead of traditional ovens? Why don't they require salt water pools instead of chlorinated pools? Both are better for the environment and save electricity.

Again, it's about CHOICE for consumers and eliminating government bureaucracy. I believe in a smaller government.

Old 05-09-2023, 08:35 AM

251 posts, read 197,539 times
It's not that big a deal.... California requires solar panels on new homes.

I don't know why everyone seems to be crying about it. It's like crying that a home requires inspections. Costs money, doesn't hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
View detailed profiles of: