Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2020, 09:44 PM

85 posts, read 95,051 times

Advertisements

Yes. I'm glad Illinois voted it down. But, it kind of perplexes me that Dems in general love to raise taxes and spending, yet, obviously here a lot of the Dem voters voted "no" which seems contradictory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2020, 11:03 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,787,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonhE View Post
Yes. I'm glad Illinois voted it down. But, it kind of perplexes me that Dems in general love to raise taxes and spending, yet, obviously here a lot of the Dem voters voted "no" which seems contradictory.
A lot of Dems want to see pension reform before implementing a progressive income tax.

Old 11-03-2020, 11:13 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,216,690 times
Hmmm, let's burden the workers with higher taxes to pay for those who are eligible for a pension, whether they can work or not.
Sounds GREAT!
Oh, crap, birthrate is dropping while the pensioner population is booming.
[Fear and trepidation flag on]

Old 11-04-2020, 05:08 AM

1,068 posts, read 918,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Hmmm, let's burden the workers with higher taxes to pay for those who are eligible for a pension, whether they can work or not.
Sounds GREAT!
Oh, crap, birthrate is dropping while the pensioner population is booming.
[Fear and trepidation flag on]
Exactly...and what "investment" ideas rely on new money supporting old? Ponzi schemes.

Old 11-04-2020, 06:37 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,700,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
A lot of Dems want to see pension reform before implementing a progressive income tax.
That's me. I don't want to pay more until the state controls spending. So glad this was defeated.

Old 11-04-2020, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
More great news is IL supreme court justice Tom Kilbride (D) did NOT retain his seat. He has close ties to Madigan. The current makeup of supreme court is 4 democrats and 3 replublicans. Now it's 3-3 with a possible opening for a moderate democrat or a republican appointee. That matters because the supreme court ruled that pensions are contracts that can not be reduced or impaired at all per constitution. A new court post-Kilbride may relook at that and take another view. We'll see...

Unfortunately the ruling was unanimous back in 2015 so this is highly unlikely unless we vote to amend constitution.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-i...0NT1U220150508

Old 11-04-2020, 10:02 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,468,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
That's me. I don't want to pay more until the state controls spending. So glad this was defeated.
Thank you all once again.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/polit...htmlstory.html

Old 11-04-2020, 07:12 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,257,106 times
Now that the progressive income tax has been defeated, and the Senate is not going to vote to bail out states, how long can Springfield keep the plates spinning?

My understanding was that the situation is desperate and Pritzker was counting on both more revenue and federal support, neither of which will happen now.

The income tax will be raised per his threat, but there's a political limit to that.

I agree that a state amendment will be necessary to reduce pensions. Maybe this time around it will be paired with a progressive income tax as it should have been the first time the latter was put on the ballot.

Old 11-05-2020, 06:17 AM

You'd be amazed at how long states can delay the pension crisis. I know they're currently securing bond debt with future tax revenue. That could technically extend out forever. Also, the debt limit is high but pay close attention to the cash levels. When cash runs out is key. Social Security will "run out" of money but new tax money paying for old can support social security at about 70% of benefits. Not sure Illinois' % number but it appears other municipalities filed bankruptcy when there was literally no cash to pay pensions and support services so that's the critical level to look for.

Old 11-05-2020, 06:21 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,683,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonhE View Post
Most of us are literate. The amendment language didn’t say anything about tax rates. It basically says they can do whatever they want for individuals now. They could set the top margin at 10K if they wanted to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois