Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2020, 09:13 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,193,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
Face masks. Social Distance. Shelter the elderly. That's it. We all figured that out around day 3 of the "pandemic". Nothing else can be done and the rest will play itself out. Time to open everything everything up immediately to save the economy.
Lol ok, I’m done talking to a wall. Best of luck to you sir!

Old 06-12-2020, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Well that is pretty much the only way we stop it to all self quarantine until everyone is vaccinated. The virus is not going to just disappear. As soon as people start congregating again the virus will spread again.
Didn’t Trump tell us all it was going to disappear? Now he’s asking election rally attendees to sign a covid waiver. Lol

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/05/tr...thout-vaccine/

Why do we need to congregate again in the same way we did pre-covid? I love attending NFL games and concerts but I’m perfectly capable of waiting until there is a vaccine available next year before doing so again. Social distancing, proper hygiene, wear masks, and reduce the size and number of mass gatherings and we will see great reductions in the number of new cases/deaths. No one is advocating for a stay at home order again here in Illinois, at least not at this time. We’ve done a great job in bringing our numbers way down since they peaked a month or so ago.

Old 06-12-2020, 09:53 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,186,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
Didn’t Trump tell us all it was going to disappear? Now he’s asking election rally attendees to sign a covid waiver. Lol

Why do we need to congregate again in the same way we did pre-covid? I love attending NFL games and concerts but I’m perfectly capable of waiting until there is a vaccine available next year before doing so again. Social distancing, proper hygiene, wear masks, and reduce the size and number of mass gatherings and we will see great reductions in the number of new cases/deaths. No one is advocating for a stay at home order again here in Illinois, at least not at this time. We’ve done a great job in bringing our numbers way down since they peaked a month or so ago.
This is a good point. We've brought cases down and opened up businesses from a better starting point than many states that never went through the, what I'd like to call pyschologically grueling, stay-at-home order than Illinois did.. As some other posters have agreed with you and I, mask wearing is good. The fact of the matter is, in some of these other states, people are acting like the virus doesn't exist or they just don't care. I just talked to a friend in Florida. He he said went to Lowe's and there seemed to be a limited number of people with masks and didn't appear to be a capacity limit in the store. Generally people can't get into a store here without a mask here, which is good.

I've been presented with my first situation in which I'm doing something nonessential at a public business - I was invited to golf. I see little to no risk in golfing, and it's been available to people since May 1st. One of the friends I'll go with goes into work every day and seems pretty careless about taking proper precautions, so I'll golf with him, but we'll drive to the course separately. There's ways to do this safely while keeping the number of cases low.

Old 06-13-2020, 01:48 AM

54 posts, read 100,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
Generally people can't get into a store here without a mask here, which is good.
Well, that may be good for you. But face coverings are causing me health problems.

I have worn two different masks, a scarf, and a bandanna. The bandanna seems to be the most comfortable for me, but that's not saying much.

With all of these coverings, I exhale CO2 and then inhale the CO2, thereby getting hypercapnia. And I have some health issues that do not mix well with hypercapnia.

Even when I wear the relatively comfortable bandanna, I have to "cheat". In other words, while in a store, I will lift the bandanna and breathe under the bandanna (or I will loosen the bandanna and breathe above the bandanna). And, even though I am in a store for only 15 minutes and I "cheat", I still feel lightheaded due to the bandanna.

But shopping may be the least of my concerns.

Before COVID-19, I worked as a freelancer of sorts in two different industries. Both of these industries have been shut down during COVID-19. There has been talk about what these industries will look like when they resume operations. Some people say that each worker in these industries will be forced to wear a face covering during all or most of his shift.

These shifts can be 10-12 hours long, and I don't think that I will be able to handle wearing a face covering for that long. And no, these jobs can not be done from home.

Furthermore, most of the people in these industries are very pro-lockdown and are very much in favor of face coverings. One person who works with me in one of these industries, recently went on Facebook and advocated violence against people who do not wear face coverings properly. So, the rank-and-file workers may pressure industry leaders to impose the face-covering requirement upon all workers.

If that requirement goes into effect, then where will I work? I don't think that I am qualified for any corporate-type job that *would* allow me to work from home.

Old 06-13-2020, 06:23 AM

1,068 posts, read 918,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Would 650K dead from Covid-19 be acceptable to you? Just seeing how far you want to move the goalposts.
Is 650k dead from heart disease acceptable to you? Are you shutting down all fast food and the junk food aisles of grocery stores and forcing your lazy neighbor to exercise? No. Instead the government puts out the food pyramid and exercise recommendations and leaves the rest up to us.

650k is only 0.19% of the population and mostly elderly with underlying causes. Acceptable is not the right word but when it's that vs. a completely collapsed economy I'll take the "open up the economy" option. Nothing is stopping the elderly or anyone else from sheltering in place, wearing masks, etc. But you all are stopping us from going out and living our lives.

Look at fusillirob1983. He figured out how to golf safely....all by himself! Freedom of choice.

Look at grocery stores. Grocery stores have been open throughout this whole "pandemic". Given how many people visit shouldn't every grocery store worker be dead by now??? They're not. They also figured out safety all by themselves with plexiglass partitions, floor markings for social distance, required mask wearing etc.

Open everything up NOW.

Old 06-13-2020, 09:57 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,411,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
Is 650k dead from heart disease acceptable to you? Are you shutting down all fast food and the junk food aisles of grocery stores and forcing your lazy neighbor to exercise? No. Instead the government puts out the food pyramid and exercise recommendations and leaves the rest up to us.

650k is only 0.19% of the population and mostly elderly with underlying causes. Acceptable is not the right word but when it's that vs. a completely collapsed economy I'll take the "open up the economy" option. Nothing is stopping the elderly or anyone else from sheltering in place, wearing masks, etc. But you all are stopping us from going out and living our lives.

Look at fusillirob1983. He figured out how to golf safely....all by himself! Freedom of choice.

Look at grocery stores. Grocery stores have been open throughout this whole "pandemic". Given how many people visit shouldn't every grocery store worker be dead by now??? They're not. They also figured out safety all by themselves with plexiglass partitions, floor markings for social distance, required mask wearing etc.

Open everything up NOW.
...but heart disease is (in many cases) preventable and (most importantly) a *non-communicable, infectious disease*. The analogy is both poor and disingenuous.

Old 06-13-2020, 10:17 AM

805 posts, read 1,085,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post

I am completely fine with your choice to not congregate again pre-covid. But rest assured, a vaccine is anything but assured. It may or may not come. As far as my answer to your question, because it's LIFE and I understand that there are risks to everything. Why do we have to drive? Why do we have free speech? Why do we have to jump on trampolines? Power wash our houses? Jump off cliffs into lakes? Start small businesses? All of these choices among thousands of others have risks, no doubt about it!

There are many of us (myself included) that love doing these things because it's part of a full, active life. Plus, we live in America, where freedom to make your own choices should rule the day. As for me, I know that this is mainly a virus that affects older Americans with underlying health conditions. If I or my kids get the virus, we have a higher than 99% chance of surviving it, the same survival chances as our drive to the grocery store, our flight to the West Coast, or a bout with the flu. If you don't feel comfortable with that for yourself, completely fine! You do you! But for me, if I want to go to a Trump rally, baseball game, or movie theater, why should I not be allowed to do so? When, in your opinion, is is "safe" to do these things again?

Old 06-13-2020, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyfanatic85 View Post
I am completely fine with your choice to not congregate again pre-covid. But rest assured, a vaccine is anything but assured. It may or may not come. As far as my answer to your question, because it's LIFE and I understand that there are risks to everything. Why do we have to drive? Why do we have free speech? Why do we have to jump on trampolines? Power wash our houses? Jump off cliffs into lakes? Start small businesses? All of these choices among thousands of others have risks, no doubt about it!

There are many of us (myself included) that love doing these things because it's part of a full, active life. Plus, we live in America, where freedom to make your own choices should rule the day. As for me, I know that this is mainly a virus that affects older Americans with underlying health conditions. If I or my kids get the virus, we have a higher than 99% chance of surviving it, the same survival chances as our drive to the grocery store, our flight to the West Coast, or a bout with the flu. If you don't feel comfortable with that for yourself, completely fine! You do you! But for me, if I want to go to a Trump rally, baseball game, or movie theater, why should I not be allowed to do so? When, in your opinion, is is "safe" to do these things again?
Why do you have to wear a seat belt? Why do you have to wait until 18 to smoke or 21 to drink? Why do many people believe abortion should be illegal? Why are some drugs illegal while others aren’t? Why is prostitution illegal? Why are many forms of gambling illegal? I thought we live in a free country?

Old 06-13-2020, 02:58 PM

148 posts, read 122,310 times
The whataboutism is getting way out of hand here.

Old 06-14-2020, 06:55 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,186,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi_42 View Post
Well, that may be good for you. But face coverings are causing me health problems.

I have worn two different masks, a scarf, and a bandanna. The bandanna seems to be the most comfortable for me, but that's not saying much.

With all of these coverings, I exhale CO2 and then inhale the CO2, thereby getting hypercapnia. And I have some health issues that do not mix well with hypercapnia.

Even when I wear the relatively comfortable bandanna, I have to "cheat". In other words, while in a store, I will lift the bandanna and breathe under the bandanna (or I will loosen the bandanna and breathe above the bandanna). And, even though I am in a store for only 15 minutes and I "cheat", I still feel lightheaded due to the bandanna.

But shopping may be the least of my concerns.

Before COVID-19, I worked as a freelancer of sorts in two different industries. Both of these industries have been shut down during COVID-19. There has been talk about what these industries will look like when they resume operations. Some people say that each worker in these industries will be forced to wear a face covering during all or most of his shift.

These shifts can be 10-12 hours long, and I don't think that I will be able to handle wearing a face covering for that long. And no, these jobs can not be done from home.

Furthermore, most of the people in these industries are very pro-lockdown and are very much in favor of face coverings. One person who works with me in one of these industries, recently went on Facebook and advocated violence against people who do not wear face coverings properly. So, the rank-and-file workers may pressure industry leaders to impose the face-covering requirement upon all workers.

If that requirement goes into effect, then where will I work? I don't think that I am qualified for any corporate-type job that *would* allow me to work from home.
I get it. You have a whole thread on your inability to wear a mask. I read it and provided my input, and hopefully you've found some workarounds or businesses that will try to meet you halfway. A statistically insignificant portion of the population cannot wear masks for medical issues. Most people who choose not to wear a mask are being babies, but a small portion, such as yourself, are not.

My point is that in general, most people in the state are taking the obvious step, if they are physically capable, of wearing the mask in the instance they have the virus and they can help protect others from inadvertent spread. That is more helpful than those that feel like they just don't feel like they need a mask because they think they're special (again, not referring to you). A larger portion of the population in some other states are just choosing not to wear masks. My comment was not addressed at the small minority of people that cannot wear a mask for a health reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois