Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 03:45 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,413,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Ha. The metro area extends out to a 220-mile radius now, eh? Be sure to tell Indianapolis, Toledo, Detroit, and Green Bay that they've been annexed.
But then Chicago would also swallow Springfield and become the capital of the state!

Old 08-19-2012, 05:27 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,284,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
But then Chicago would also swallow Springfield and become the capital of the state!
Nah, Springfield should move to Chicago so the poor Governor will have a place to sleep.

Last edited by linicx; 08-21-2012 at 11:21 AM..

Old 08-20-2012, 09:06 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,272,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
This "inaccurate bias of lumping the suburbs in with the City of Chicago (the politics, taxes, mentality) as some downstate residents will do" - is not much different than the inaccurate bias of lumping everyone who lives "South of State & Madison" as undesirables as some Chicagoan's will do - except those authors are not nearly as polite as I am.

People who never lived in Chicago don't understand the difference between Chicago and its suburbs anymore than Chicagoan's understand anything about downstate except "flat and boring" and unworthy. The unadulterated in-yer-face hateful remarks is just one more reason to not live in Chicago. .
OK, so if I am a Chicagoan, or close to it, then why do I understand some of what makes downstate tick? Because I travel down there and have clients down there and am fairly open-minded? I am sure there are many others like me as well. So I understand your sentiment but do not appreciate the braod generalization.
What I was really hoping for was the poster I responded to to tell me what they liked so much about the Metro East towns and what they specifically didn't like about Chicago area. I respect opinions from those who have traveled to an area they comment about, especially more than once driving by on the expressway. Not so much from people forming opinions based on hear say or what they see on a screen or read in a paper only.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:26 PM

Do you really believe we appreciate the generalization that everyone who lives south of 1-80 is ignorant and trashy? I would say the number of people who have spent any time exploring south of I-80 is about as rare as a farmer south of I-80 spending any time exploring Chicago. Both lose.

The fact that you are open-minded and travel a great deal is a huge plus. I never had a reason to explore the eastern border of Illinois, but I did explore a great deal of most of the state and a great deal of Western U.S. I think we are both better informed for our travels.

Most travelers ignore downstate because of distance between the mid-size cities and the abundance of small towns and two lane roads. I can't say that I blame them. Visitors who come for business reasons and expect horses and wooden sidewalks are generally pleased with their experience. Yes, it would be nice to have some star awarded restaurants for bragging rights, but you can still find some really good food because IL cooks are pretty good from border to border. .

Old 08-21-2012, 06:03 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,545,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Ha. The metro area extends out to a 220-mile radius now, eh? Be sure to tell Indianapolis, Toledo, Detroit, and Green Bay that they've been annexed.

Well I can see how some football fans won't be please to hear that piece of news!

Old 08-22-2012, 02:42 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,107,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
OK, so if I am a Chicagoan, or close to it, then why do I understand some of what makes downstate tick? Because I travel down there and have clients down there and am fairly open-minded? I am sure there are many others like me as well. So I understand your sentiment but do not appreciate the braod generalization.
What I was really hoping for was the poster I responded to to tell me what they liked so much about the Metro East towns and what they specifically didn't like about Chicago area. I respect opinions from those who have traveled to an area they comment about, especially more than once driving by on the expressway. Not so much from people forming opinions based on hear say or what they see on a screen or read in a paper only.

My impression of your posts have always been of a positive note and I realize you know the whole state
better than most people.

Your business takes you to other parts of the state.

This is one link that we share with folks from Downstate and those of us from the Chicao Metro.

In most of my professional dealings with our state from here to Cairo I find most are warm.

As mentioned before I would love to see a list of our common denominators not our division.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:44 AM

562 posts, read 990,192 times
I'd like to leave the state someday unless I get an appealing offer locally. I used to be very gung-ho about leaving and still kind of am but I am starting to appreciate the convenient position of Peoria a bit more.

That said, I could really do without the corruption and financial disaster of the state and the further away I am from family...the better. :P

Old 08-22-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
In most of my professional dealings with our state from here to Cairo I find most are warm.

As mentioned before I would love to see a list of our common denominators not our division.
I've had a home in IL for nearly 70 years. I never found a common denominator. To have something in common there should be social intercourse, a meeting of minds, and a reason to be in the same place at the same time. The bottom line is Chicago sports. And with the advent of satellite and color TV, plus national broadcasts it isn't really necessary. Only the diehard fans will trek to Chicago for a home game.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:21 PM

202 posts, read 311,219 times
I would LOVE to see a game in Soldier Field, even once. Probably ONLY once...but still Go Bears!

Old 08-22-2012, 04:46 PM

I did that once and I was repaid with snow - a lot of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illini1959 View Post
I would LOVE to see a game in Soldier Field, even once. Probably ONLY once...but still Go Bears!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois