Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 03:29 AM

43 posts, read 82,525 times

Advertisements

Regarding the cost of living in an Alpha city - living in Chicagoland rightfully comes with a premium, but I simply think that premium is just too high for what we get in return.

I'm with an earlier poster - if it wasn't for 90% of my family being here, I'd be long gone.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:48 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,105,368 times
Yeah , the grass is not always greener on the other side.

Guess if your not happy then explore your options.

In my 20's I lived in the South for awhile and grew tired of the heat.
The congestion was just as bad as the chicago area.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:09 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,273,634 times
The first time I left it was to escape the cold. Dad died and we moved back to help mother; she moved to SoCal. The second time I moved was for a friend. She had 7 businesses and she worked out of town five days. When I returned it was to a small rural town that has always provided excellent critical care.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:16 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
I forgot to mention I did not grow up nor have I ever lived in Chicago and you could not pay me enough to actually live in the city or the suburbs around Chicago. I grew up in Decatur and lived for quite a few years in and around Springfield then moved more South to the Granite City area. When we move back we will be living in the Godfrey area or around Edwardsville or Glen Carbon, we have yet to start looking for a place but will start that process in the fall.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:02 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,496,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Anyone else thinking about doing the same?
Any stories to share?
Please let me know cause next year, we are breaking outta here
Why not first tell us why you're "fed up."

Old 08-17-2012, 09:43 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,268,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I forgot to mention I did not grow up nor have I ever lived in Chicago and you could not pay me enough to actually live in the city or the suburbs around Chicago. I grew up in Decatur and lived for quite a few years in and around Springfield then moved more South to the Granite City area. When we move back we will be living in the Godfrey area or around Edwardsville or Glen Carbon, we have yet to start looking for a place but will start that process in the fall.
I have spent time in the Metro East area. I do not see much difference between its nicer areas and the nicer suburbs of Chicago. Only differences is a smaller scale, a bit warmer weather and an affinity for that annoying "Bird" baseball team Because of the smaller scale I also see closer proximity of more industrial areas like Granite City than what we have here in the NW 'burbs. I do like the Madison County bike trail system!! I am not "dissing" the nicer Metro East 'burbs, just scratching my head since I live in a nice suburban area of Chicago and have visited the areas you mention and don't see what is dramatically better about Metro East. Only thing I can see is a comfort level with central and south central Illinois due to growing up in the area and a possible inaccurate bias of lumping the suburbs in with the City of Chicago(the politics, taxes, mentality) as some downstate residents will do.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Only thing I can see is a comfort level with central and south central Illinois due to growing up in the area and a possible inaccurate bias of lumping the suburbs in with the City of Chicago(the politics, taxes, mentality) as some downstate residents will do.
This "inaccurate bias of lumping the suburbs in with the City of Chicago (the politics, taxes, mentality) as some downstate residents will do" - is not much different than the inaccurate bias of lumping everyone who lives "South of State & Madison" as undesirables as some Chicagoan's will do - except those authors are not nearly as polite as I am.

People who never lived in Chicago don't understand the difference between Chicago and its suburbs anymore than Chicagoan's understand anything about downstate except "flat and boring" and unworthy. The unadulterated in-yer-face hateful remarks is just one more reason to not live in Chicago. .

Old 08-19-2012, 06:49 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,838,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem_223 View Post
It has some pockets of places u can enjoy like Iowa City but the towns were way spread out too far from me.
did you ever consider that Iowa City can be enjoyed because basically it is a Chicago suburb?

Old 08-19-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
did you ever consider that Iowa City can be enjoyed because basically it is a Chicago suburb?
So is Rockford.

Old 08-19-2012, 02:43 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,210,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Ha. The metro area extends out to a 220-mile radius now, eh? Be sure to tell Indianapolis, Toledo, Detroit, and Green Bay that they've been annexed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois