Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2021, 05:14 PM

249 posts, read 181,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G in MP View Post
Cold war, like when in the cold war? How old are you?

You're literally the one being histrionic here. I'm FROM the soviet union, my parents were born in wartime and lived through all the phases of soviet life from then till the 80's. And we've lived in the US since. Consequently, yes I can draw some comparisons, and where I can't my mother and older brother can.

So with all that said, again I ask, what's your background that would make you an authority on this subject? Coz, if you can't hang there, maybe you should just sit down bud.
If the Soviet Union during the 80s was in any way similar to the US now then all the footage I saw and stories I heard about the USSR were complete utter horsesh!t and it wasn't really that bad of a nation. The alternative is that what I heard about the USSR was true and most of your personal experiences are that as a toddler.

Old 11-06-2021, 05:42 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,523,901 times
Quote:
Ok, so let's unpack this here post of yours a little bit.

You can't disclose your age for some "obvious reasons" that are not quite obvious.

You have lived in five different advanced democratic countries including America, which somehow makes you an expert on life in a totalitarian state like the USSR.

You consider objections raised to vaccine mandates, enforced business shutdowns, and a corporate-purchased media that presents half-truths as facts and practices near total blackout of any dissenting opinions as being all just ranting by cracked loons, because...you're a libertarian.

Well Maclock, I'm sorry but I'm not impressed, and a bit bored at this point. Bye bye.
Sensible people don't disclose stuff like that on the Internet. Judging by your replies, I'd bet my beer money that I'm older than you. Maybe I'm mistaken about that, though, and you just act like a younger person. I'll give you this: I was in high school when the Wall came down, when the Ceaușescus were killed, etc.

The fact that you suggest there are many parallels between former communist Eastern Bloc countries and free Western democracies speaks volumes about your lack of understanding. I see that you still have failed to furnish us with a list of detailed examples of these supposed parallels. I wonder why. (Your opinions aren't facts for the avoidance of doubt.)

If you're insufficiently well educated to both understand and appreciate biology and public health, then that's on you. Being a libertarian doesn't mean one has to be inconsiderate or an idiot.

I don't care if I impress people like you.

Old 11-06-2021, 08:23 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,610,431 times
My boyfriend in college was from Moscow. The only parallels I see between the US now, and Moscow then (USSR) is there was a shortage of toilet paper for awhile.

Old 11-08-2021, 03:13 PM

734 posts, read 483,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
My boyfriend in college was from Moscow. The only parallels I see between the US now, and Moscow then (USSR) is there was a shortage of toilet paper for awhile.
Well your boyfriend was a bigtimer with that toilet paper stuff, even with occasional shortages. We never had toilet paper in our town, or hardly ever. Actually I'm lying, we did have "toilet paper", it was the newspaper. Pravda, usually. Sometimes Izvestiya also, but usually it was Pravda. Pravda is russian for "truth", which was hilarious coz Pravda newspaper was most honest when it was wiping up some poop.

So the media in the Soviet Union was entirely unreliable, everybody knew this. If there was something in print or being reported, there was always an assumption that the full story was not being told. Certain things just would not get reported. And if there was somebody kicking up a storm, spreading inconvenient truths or whatnot, there was always a way to discredit this person, make him a non-issue.

So now let's talk about US media. Since we're living in the covid age, we could go with that. Last month, I listened to a podcast with Dr. Robert Malone as the guest. Dr. Malone is both an immunologist and a virologist, who helped develop messenger RNA technology which is being utilized in these covid vaccines. He had some interesting things to say about the vaccines, the drive to do mass vaccinations, vaccinating children, ivermectin, just a whole lot of stuff. Is he right? I dunno. But I also know that I've never seen him on any mainstream news networks. Or anyone like him (and there's quite a few qualified experts voicing same concerns). I've never seen any discourse on legacy news, pro vs con. It's just all pro. Why is that?

How is VAERS data not a daily discussion point on network news? Last I checked a couple months ago, there were like 15k vaccine fatalities, 60k hospitalizations. What, that's not something worth reporting and keeping a daily count on, like they do with covid hospitalizations/fatalities?

Or how about how people how people get discredited. Sanjay Gupta went on Joe Rogan's podcast, and when pressed enough finally owned up that CNN flat out lied about Rogan and the "horse paste" stuff. Then Gupta goes home to CNN, and Don Lemon forces him to recant THE TRUTH.

So why is that? Why is all that? Well I dunno why, but I'll tell you what. It's not the same thing as Soviet media, but there are some parallels yes.

Old 11-08-2021, 03:33 PM

734 posts, read 483,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
Sensible people don't disclose stuff like that on the Internet. Judging by your replies, I'd bet my beer money that I'm older than you. Maybe I'm mistaken about that, though, and you just act like a younger person. I'll give you this: I was in high school when the Wall came down, when the Ceaușescus were killed, etc.

The fact that you suggest there are many parallels between former communist Eastern Bloc countries and free Western democracies speaks volumes about your lack of understanding. I see that you still have failed to furnish us with a list of detailed examples of these supposed parallels. I wonder why. (Your opinions aren't facts for the avoidance of doubt.)

If you're insufficiently well educated to both understand and appreciate biology and public health, then that's on you. Being a libertarian doesn't mean one has to be inconsiderate or an idiot.

I don't care if I impress people like you.
All of this just reads so...omg just ridiculous. Oh btw, I'm 49. See how easy that is?

Old 11-09-2021, 01:31 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,523,901 times
Quote:
All of this just reads so...omg just ridiculous. Oh btw, I'm 49. See how easy that is?
Yes, it's OMG just ridiculous. By the way, you've yet to explain how the country that offers quite possibly the greatest degree of protection for free speech in the capitalist democratic West shares much in common with one of the former Eastern Bloc totalitarian/authoritarian planned/command economy countries that was least tolerant of free speech. And it must surely come as surprise to you it's this freedom of speech that permits you to broadcast your alternative narrative.

Anyway, I apologize if I come off as chippy. I've had enough is all. Get vaccinated, people. This "freedom" nonsense is nothing short of fraidy-cat BS/mass hysteria. I'd wager that most of the people who object to prevailing medical wisdom for whatever reason(s) on this occasion would be prepared to defer to the judgment of skilled tradesmen if they had to have a toilet repaired, a breaker panel installed, or whatever. I don't get how a bunch of people who haven't mastered basic medical science feel they know better than the consensus opinion of well-trained, experienced, respected doctors and skilled public health professionals. It's baffling. QAnon, 9/11 truthers, birthers, and now COVID know-it-alls .... All very baffling.

If you'd like to know more about VAERS and its obvious shortcomings, here's a link to an article that offers some good information:

https://theconversation.com/unverifi...sitancy-166401.

And there's plenty about Robert Malone out there:

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...keptic/619734/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...ty-protection/

https://www.factcheck.org/2021/08/sc...val-liability/

Finally, here's what went down between Gupta and Rogan for anyone who is interested:

https://www.newsweek.com/joe-rogan-d...-lying-1639240

Old 11-09-2021, 06:59 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,358,288 times
Quote:
Yes, it's OMG just ridiculous. By the way, you've yet to explain how the country that offers quite possibly the greatest degree of protection for free speech in the capitalist democratic West shares much in common with one of the former Eastern Bloc totalitarian/authoritarian planned/command economy countries that was least tolerant of free speech. And it must surely come as surprise to you it's this freedom of speech that permits you to broadcast your alternative narrative.

Anyway, I apologize if I come off as chippy. I've had enough is all. Get vaccinated, people. This "freedom" nonsense is nothing short of fraidy-cat BS/mass hysteria. I'd wager that most of the people who object to prevailing medical wisdom for whatever reason(s) on this occasion would be prepared to defer to the judgment of skilled tradesmen if they had to have a toilet repaired, a breaker panel installed, or whatever. I don't get how a bunch of people who haven't mastered basic medical science feel they know better than the consensus opinion of well-trained, experienced, respected doctors and skilled public health professionals. It's baffling. QAnon, 9/11 truthers, birthers, and now COVID know-it-alls .... All very baffling.

If you'd like to know more about VAERS and its obvious shortcomings, here's a link to an article that offers some good information:

https://theconversation.com/unverifi...sitancy-166401.

And there's plenty about Robert Malone out there:

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...keptic/619734/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...ty-protection/

https://www.factcheck.org/2021/08/sc...val-liability/

Finally, here's what went down between Gupta and Rogan for anyone who is interested:

https://www.newsweek.com/joe-rogan-d...-lying-1639240
Great post, plus one. Land of the free? No land of the dumb, insane, and selfish. I should not be carrying others on my shoulders because I am responsible and educated in the vaccine dept.

Old 11-09-2021, 07:52 AM

4,934 posts, read 3,044,617 times
Quote:
I don't get how a bunch of people who haven't mastered basic medical science feel they know better than the consensus opinion of well-trained, experienced, respected doctors and skilled public health professionals.

They don't trust them, due to too much misinformation over a long period.
Plus Covid really isn't a threat, unless you have underlying medical conditions.
I hear plenty of reasons from unvaccinated as to why, mainly stemming from fear.
And these boosters they're pushing, it's too soon; adding to the unvaccinated suspicions.
Big pharma has had a well-documented hand in destroying America for profit.
Top billionaires across the globe have added 2 trillion to their respective portfolios since March of 2020.
I could go on with the list, and am not getting a booster.

Old 11-09-2021, 08:03 AM

44,348 posts, read 20,047,057 times
This thread is hopelessly off-topic and is now closed.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois