Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 08:19 PM

62 posts, read 299,845 times

Advertisements

What planet are you on Havasu? Its people like you who have no idea what "Bad places" even are. If you dislike Rockford so much why do you keep posting responses about Rockford? Rockford is a GREAT place to live. There is no "perfect" city out there. They all have their flaws.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:56 AM

572 posts, read 2,485,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesinrockford View Post
What planet are you on Havasu? Its people like you who have no idea what "Bad places" even are. If you dislike Rockford so much why do you keep posting responses about Rockford? Rockford is a GREAT place to live. There is no "perfect" city out there. They all have their flaws.
It may not be bad to you but it sure is to me and thats ok your entitled to your opinion as I am also.I guess I am blessed not knowing what a bad place is.A bad place to me is a place that does not change as times change.I would say Detroit might be worse than Rockford. Take a drive around the town you like so much Lets start you out at the Loglis on Rockton Ave go south on Rockton ave what do you see? Run down homes and a bad school? Take a left on Aurburn what do you see?Run down Homes? Cross over the Rock River get on 251 south what do you see?
You might see some scenery now. Continue south until 6th street take that until Broadway turn left What do you see?Closed up Businesses and run down homes? Turn right on 11th St take until Sandy Hollow turn right what do you see?Old closed Manufacturing buildings? Now go until Kishwaukee(spelling?) Turn right there and continue.What do you see?Run down homes and more closed up Buildings?Continue north until you see the 251 North take that all the way up to Beloit Wisconsin and do a tour thru that City. Beloit has become a nice City due to the management of the City. Rockford has NOT.Compare the two and get back to me.Keep track of how many red lights you come across also.I would love to see the pictures you took along this 10 mile or so tour of Rockford.I think others who would take this nice drive would agree that Rockford is Horrible. Why do I post this information? Because I want others to avoid the mistake I made and spent 3 years there wondering what happened to this once booming city.
It has not changed since the booming years of the 1970s and its very sad to see for the people who do live there. It could be a nice place to live if it would change as the times change,but it has not and shows no signs of changing very soon. I hope you and others enjoy your tour I set up for you. To be fair I will do the same here at my Home (http://www.newtohavasu.net/ - broken link)
Anyone can set up a Tour for me to take in Havasu. And I will post my results right here for everyone to see where I live and how great or not so great it is.

Last edited by Havasu; 04-10-2008 at 12:11 PM..

Old 04-10-2008, 09:50 PM

Ok, I understand that Rockford has it's rough area's, but why don't you mention the nice area's? I would say that more than 3/4's of Rockford is pretty good. You can't even compare Rockford to Beloit because Beloit only has about 40,000 or so people compared to Rockford with 150,000. I can take anyone through bad parts of almost ANY city. You mention street lights. Have you ever driven in the Chicago Suburbs? There are 10 times as many lights. If anyone was moving to Rockford why would you take them to the bad parts? It doesn't make much sense to me. I will agree that the City of Rockford has its share of problems, but blame it on the City of Chicago. All of the states tax money gets put into Chicago and all of the other cities are left with nothing. Remember most of the major roads including Alpine are owned by the state. The city of Chicago is too concerned with giving senior citizens free rides on the CTA buses and paying the drivers $18.00+/hour. Also, the city has changed. There are several New Construction subdivisions out here, Linden Point,Elmgate,Turnberry,Brandon,Kelley Meadows,Redington Chase,Bluffside Heights, Chandan, etc. just to name a few. We have the Ice Hogs,Raptors,RiverHawks, Burpee mus., Discovery Center,Sportscore, Meto Cente, Davis Park etc. I grew up in the Burbs of Chicago and I'll tell you many people are impressed with Rockford and many think it's even gonna get better. I apologize if the spelling and grammer aren't the best, but its a little late now and I'm too tired to go back and proof. I think Rockford is a great city with alot of potential.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:49 AM

572 posts, read 2,485,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesinrockford View Post
Ok, I understand that Rockford has it's rough area's, but why don't you mention the nice area's? I would say that more than 3/4's of Rockford is pretty good. You can't even compare Rockford to Beloit because Beloit only has about 40,000 or so people compared to Rockford with 150,000. I can take anyone through bad parts of almost ANY city. You mention street lights. Have you ever driven in the Chicago Suburbs? There are 10 times as many lights. If anyone was moving to Rockford why would you take them to the bad parts? It doesn't make much sense to me. I will agree that the City of Rockford has its share of problems, but blame it on the City of Chicago. All of the states tax money gets put into Chicago and all of the other cities are left with nothing. Remember most of the major roads including Alpine are owned by the state. The city of Chicago is too concerned with giving senior citizens free rides on the CTA buses and paying the drivers $18.00+/hour. Also, the city has changed. There are several New Construction subdivisions out here, Linden Point,Elmgate,Turnberry,Brandon,Kelley Meadows,Redington Chase,Bluffside Heights, Chandan, etc. just to name a few. We have the Ice Hogs,Raptors,RiverHawks, Burpee mus., Discovery Center,Sportscore, Meto Cente, Davis Park etc. I grew up in the Burbs of Chicago and I'll tell you many people are impressed with Rockford and many think it's even gonna get better. I apologize if the spelling and grammer aren't the best, but its a little late now and I'm too tired to go back and proof. I think Rockford is a great city with alot of potential.
You have made some good points here. I think what it boils down to is we have different opinions in what we look for in a place to live.I do know where I do not want to live though.Im not a big city type person and have not been to Chicago burbs and have no desire to.I think your right about where the State puts its TAX dollars.Seems like not any goes to Rockford. Im sure if you visited where I live you would ask, Why would anyone want to live here? I like where I live for all the reasons people dont like it.
I am an outside person and I do not like the cold and love the heat when its 110 its a nice day to me.What I like to do is grab my Quadrunner and hit the trails in the desert or go boating or to the beach.Some people would rather go to a indoor mall and hang out there.Thats ok but its not for me is all. I would like to see some nice pictures of Rockford Sinnisippi (spelling) park is a great park take a few and post them here.
Go to my Home (http://www.newtohavasu.net/ - broken link) and you can see some pictures of where I live. I wont go on and on and I thank you for your input. You handled my response in a well mannered way.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:45 PM

1 posts, read 8,881 times
Talking rockford is a great place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havasu View Post
Rockford to me is one of the worst places i have been to. I only lasted 3 years there i was a sales rep there so i saw the entire city.The thing that stands out the most is it is a First of the month city that means that its seems like 50% of people are on welfare there.Ive never seen a place become so busy for the first 3 days of any given month. It also seems to have very bad roads and very very high properety taxes i was paying $4000 a year on a home value of $140,000
And why is it that you had to pay to use an interstate that was in bad shape? As soon as you cross the broder to wisconsin the I 39 was very nice to drive on and no tolls either.And whats with all of the Stop lights which i will call RED lights.It seemed like every single intersection had a Red light.
I moved away and have no desire to ever return. They took enough of my money. One more thing winter is coming so make sure they put down alot of salt on the roads when it even shows any sign of snow.
i have to agree that rockford isn't the best place to live at. in rockford there is there good sides and there is there bad sides. the north side of rockford i would have to say is the best part of rockford. there are a lot of pot holeds and there is a lot of construction. just because there is bad stuff about rockford there is good stuff. they have a mall. they have a lot of good stuffs. don't doubt rockford though. it is still a good place.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:08 PM

1 posts, read 8,871 times
Default Rockford - Good Bad or Ugly

I live south of Rockford, so don't deal with the day-to-day in-town. I will speak as a frequent visitor/neighbor. I did spend 40 years in suburbia in the shadow of Chicago - but the home costs, excessive traffic, high property taxes, and overall lack of community drove me out.
GOOD - I moved west - BEST thing I ever did. Lower housing costs, lower taxes, less traffic, friendly people, good shopping, good restaurants, museums, parks and much more. If you like the outdoors there are some wonderful state and city parks especially along the Rock River - from Beloit to Dixon. Lots of places for camping, fishing, boating, hunting, hiking, or just taking the grandkids out to the swings.
BAD - The same as most cities in the "rustbelt". Manufacturing leaving (going south or to China). Education (but it is s l o w l y improving), potholes.
UGLY - "bad parts of town" (west / southwest could use soem work). A better plan is needed for the entire city.

Would I live in downtown Rockford? Probably not, I'm not a city guy. But it is (IMO) better than living in Chicago (but I wouldn't live there either). As with any location across this great country, if YOU like it then it's right for you. The Rockford area is right for me, my sons have married and also moved into the general Rockford area. Wouldn't go back to suburbia for anything except to vist old friends and the few family left there!

Old 04-15-2008, 07:44 AM

158 posts, read 868,338 times
I have lived in many places and now in Rockford for 2 yrs. Rockford I have got to say is the worst place in IL I have lived in so far.

I enjoyed Lake Zurich, IL, Lombard, IL, St. Charles IL, and Carol Stream IL was just so so. Rockford to me sucks. Not enough to do in the winter time with a family. It is the most dirty ugly town I have lived in yet.

I can appreciate many things about the state of IL and Rockford is not one of them.

I have lived in Florida before too and that is where I am moving to now as soon as my home sells for I have decided I would rather sweat than freeze.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:44 PM

56 posts, read 266,781 times
I took the tour and yes I saw alot of run down homes and buildings. I want to know when Rockford was a booming City. The river front was a very nice place to get out and walk or ride your bike, other then that its what Havasu said it was. One thing that did stand out was how bad the streets with potholes were. I have seen gravel roads in better condition.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:49 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcantSELLmyHouse View Post
One thing that did stand out was how bad the streets with potholes were. I have seen gravel roads in better condition.
This isn't a Rockford-specific problem. This winter was especially hard on roads all over the midwest and potholes cropped up far faster than road crews could repair them. In all my years of living in the midwest I have never seen a winter that did so much damage to the roads.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:24 PM

I have lived in many places and now in Rockford for 2 yrs. Rockford I have got to say is the worst place in IL I have lived in so far.

I enjoyed Lake Zurich, IL, Lombard, IL, St. Charles IL, and Carol Stream IL was just so so. Rockford to me sucks. Not enough to do in the winter time with a family. It is the most dirty ugly town I have lived in yet.

Your comparing DuPage County to Winnebago County?? Thats not a good comparison at all. DuPage county is one of the Richest counties in the U.S. Thats like comparing India to the USA..doesn't make much sense. Also, blame the state of IL for giving all of the states money to Chicago. There are some very very nice parts of Rockford and yes, some not so nice parts, but where else can you get a home for the price you can get out here? Nowhere Really.

Last edited by Homesinrockford; 04-16-2008 at 09:27 PM.. Reason: Send before finishing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois