Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 04:37 PM

572 posts, read 2,486,771 times

Advertisements

The topic is Rockford is horrible.
Question is why is it so horrible?
And i asked why the interstate was so bad until you crossed the wisconsin border?
My question i have is how can a city with problems like i noted be fixed?
At one time Rockford was number 2 largest city in Illinios,everbody with some ambition has left for a much better life.The place has not changed with times.
I give Steve O credit for sticking up for Rockford and expressing his opinion about where i chose to live. I can take the beating up of my town its not perfect and most things that were said are correct about Havasu,its just that those things do not bother me and others are entitled to an opinion including yours Chicago60614
Thats why this does not get deleted

Old 09-24-2007, 09:38 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Rockford has its bad parts and nice parts, just like most cities in the USA. The problem is that its so far out from Chicago. Had Rockford been in Kane or DuPage County Im almost 100% sure the town would be AOK. Its Rockford's location that is holding it back, IMO, kinda like LHC.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:18 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,353,293 times
Good things I have experienced in rockford:

Rockford has a very nice children's museum. And they have that "on the waterfront" music festival every year that is great. Also sinnissippi gardens is there. And Klehm arboretum is very nice.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:22 AM

I forget the name, but there are also some beautiful Japanese gardens also.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:34 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,901,161 times
I drove north on I-39 this summer to go to Madison. Crossing over from Rockford into the Beloit/Janesville area was a better stretch of road, better maintained, and the cars on the road were in better shape. Rockford is another rustbelt city, without the appeal of Akron or truly wrecked state like Flint or Youngstown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I forget the name, but there are also some beautiful Japanese gardens also.
Hmm, I should visit those.

Old 09-24-2007, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
I drove north on I-39 this summer to go to Madison. Crossing over from Rockford into the Beloit/Janesville area was a better stretch of road, better maintained, and the cars on the road were in better shape. Rockford is another rustbelt city, without the appeal of Akron or truly wrecked state like Flint or Youngstown.

Hmm, I should visit those.
Anderson Gardens is the name (I Googled it):
Anderson Japanese Gardens

Old 09-24-2007, 01:57 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,353,293 times
Yes, anderson japanese garden is really worth a visit. I have been there several times.

Old 09-24-2007, 03:33 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Rockford has its bad parts and nice parts, just like most cities in the USA. The problem is that its so far out from Chicago. Had Rockford been in Kane or DuPage County Im almost 100% sure the town would be AOK. Its Rockford's location that is holding it back, IMO, kinda like LHC.
On the contrary, one of Rockford's strengths is its proximity to the Chicago metro area. While Rockford's core is struggling, the outer ring is booming, and believe it or not, Rockford proper's population is growing fairly rapidly. I doubt it would be growing as rapidly (or at all) were it not reasonably close to Chicago. Rockford may be an unmanageable distance from Chicago proper, but it's a perfectly manageable distance from the edge of suburbia (particularly the northern Fox Valley area). I had mentioned in the beer thread that when I lived on the western edge of St. Charles, it was often easier for me to get from there to Rockford than from there to downtown when I wanted to hit a solid brewpub. That becomes particularly true when you factor in rush-hour traffic loads. And while there is still a high concentration of jobs in downtown Chicago, there are plenty enough job opportunities in the suburbs that one can generally commute from Rockford to the outer suburbs just as easily as any of us who live in one part of the Chicago metro can commute to another part.

Then throw in that real estate is MUCH cheaper than in the Chicago area, and you've got more and more people beating a path to Rockford; not because they're in love with the place, but because it's much cheaper and still provides access to at least a portion of the Chicago-area job market and amenities. Plus you can easily tap the Beloit/Janesville market from Rockford too.

Old 09-24-2007, 03:44 PM

Good point. I still think its a bit far out, especially for those who'd need to commute to Chicago. Yikes.

Old 09-24-2007, 03:46 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Well, like I said, it's not attracting people who are commuting to Chicago so much as people who are commuting to Elgin, Carpentersville, Hoffman Estates, Huntley, Dundee, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois