Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 01:03 PM

26 posts, read 176,508 times

Advertisements

Are there alot of Mormons in the Coeur d Alene area? I have heard rumors about people being disriminanted against due the fact that they are not affiliated with this religion? We are nondenominational and wondered if we would have a problem up there? Any feedback would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2007, 02:14 PM

33 posts, read 213,143 times
Red face I am not sure, but we have a ton here in Walla Walla

Hi... I don't know how many are in the panhandle of Idaho, but I do know there are tons of survivalists there. Please--Be really careful about where you live up there.

Jet

Old 01-15-2007, 02:33 PM

241 posts, read 998,360 times
I believe that the LDS ppl are mostly in the Southern part of the state. There are some small comminities that have a meeting place but no Stake center.

I am not LDS but my husband is and he was raised in Shelley on the SE corner of the state.

Old 01-16-2007, 07:59 PM

2 posts, read 29,394 times
Default LDS and other spiritual types

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowangel View Post
Are there alot of Mormons in the Coeur d Alene area? I have heard rumors about people being disriminanted against due the fact that they are not affiliated with this religion? We are nondenominational and wondered if we would have a problem up there? Any feedback would be great.
We moved here from Bend, Oregon a year ago and this area is definitely more "religious" than Bend was but the LDS is not nearly as prevelant as it was in Bend. Geographically speaking Southern Idaho. Boise, Idaho Falls, Twin Falls, etc. due to the proximity to Utah is home to a much stronger LDS following. Our family is non-religiously inclined(as we like to call non-denominational in our household) for the most part and have never felt like we are left or right of the center here at all. What I mean by more "religious" than Bend is that lots of folks hit the brunch on Sunday here but again it has not impacted us negatively at all with regarding to meeting new friends etc. As far as the comments from one poster than this is a survivalist stronghold I'd beg to differ. If anything this area seems to be full of either really young families or retirees from all over the place. My parents moved here from Seattle to be near us and they are in there early 60's and the first thing they said was "there is a lot of old people living here." Pretty funny coming from them but it really holds some water. Honestly the survivalist comment seems pretty missed placed in my opinion.
Haydenlake

Old 01-16-2007, 09:43 PM

610 posts, read 3,319,357 times
Years ago, if you had Utah plates, you'd be darned lucky if anyone would even sell you gas in northern ID! Had to prove to them you weren't mormon. That has probably relaxed some these days. The panhandle and related areas of MT and WA are pretty independent - not always a good thing but sometimes is. It's kind of a private, slightly separate world up there, eh?

Old 01-16-2007, 11:28 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,837,332 times
Although we're new to the Panhandle, what I found from looking at the history of this area is that it was settled so early on that it wasn't one of those areas "pioneered" by the LDS settlers like northern UT, southern ID, etc.

The Panhandle is very "mainstream protestant" friendly...don't worry. Baptist, Lutheran, non-denom, etc. We've already been invited to try a few different churches in the area (not LDS) by some great people we've met. However, I was surprised that per capita, it's reportedly a lower churchgoing population that where we came from in SoCal.

Old 01-28-2007, 08:00 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,475,810 times
Default Re: Mormons in the panhandle

Hi, There are mormon churches up here in the panhandle but not large amounts of LDS here at all. Southern Idaho is very LDS oriented with some small communities being practically all LDS.

Old 01-30-2007, 08:29 AM

66 posts, read 309,283 times
There are two stakes in Coeur d'Alene, with approximately 2000 members each (six to eight wards in a stake, generally; 200-500 members in a ward). The mayor of Hayden is LDS. There are WAY more LDS people here than survivalists, but there are still fewer LDS than in SE Idaho. I'm a lifelong active member of the LDS church, and when I moved here from Pocatello I really enjoyed the change. There is more diversity here and fewer narrow-eyed criticisms from all directions.

Old 02-02-2007, 07:00 PM

24 posts, read 110,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_jet View Post
Hi... I don't know how many are in the panhandle of Idaho, but I do know there are tons of survivalists there. Please--Be really careful about where you live up there.

Jet
Don't believe everything you see on the news...

If you're talking about the white supremacy types, most of the outspoken ones have left (all 50 of them). There are a few of them left here and there, but mostly they want to be left alone and leave others alone too.

sue

Old 02-10-2007, 06:30 PM

8 posts, read 68,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowangel View Post
Would someone please explain to me what the preoccupation with mormons is? I live in Eastern Idaho where the population of mormons is substantial and I don't see anything that worries me. In fact, they, in general are like christians anywhere else ie. working, raising families etc. Idaho Falls has something like 30 or 40% mormon and also one of the lowest crime rates in the nation for a metropolitan area. Do you think there could be a correlation there? How many people worry about the amount of Jewish in NYC or Isslam in Detroit before moving there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho