Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 04:36 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times

Advertisements

Well said, Camino!
I am not LDS, but I've lived among them all my life, and you described them honestly and fairly.

The thing about living in Idaho and the LDS church is: They live everywhere in this state. In all corners, top to bottom, and have been here ever since Salt Lake City was built. Mormons were some of the very first white men to populate all of the Far West except for Oregon, and even there, they were a large pioneer presence.

For the Mormons who live here, their religion is old hat. They are nothing more or less than any other long-established religion, and they do not have the zeal of a tiny minority of recent converts here. In fact, Idaho would not be as conservative as it is without their influence in everything here. In fact, Raul Labrador, our 1st District Representative, is LDS, as is Mike Simpson, our 2nd District Representative, and both of our Congressional Senators.

This too, is old hat. The Mormons are no more solid politically than other religions that are mostly conservative. Mormon Democrats have also been elected here to Congress, and our Governors have been at least half LDS over our history.

The side most folks never hear about is the religion's generosity. It is one of the major tenants of their faith, and Mormons as a group are always among the very first to show up wherever a natural calamity occurs, like a hurricane, a tornado, a flood, or anything else. They never come to promote their faith, they always come to help. They come with organization, too. And committed resources. The Red Cross depends on them, and when their job is done, they leave and come home.

This is just as true for a newcomer or a neighbor as it is with their national efforts. Your story is anything but unique, Camino… it happens every day here, in some way or other. An Idaho Mormon has had my Presbyterian back more times than I can count, and as a group, they are more likely to give a stranger a fair shot than any other religion I'm aware of.

If a stranger proves up and honors his commitment, then he's good from then on. Oftentimes, it's not the first help a person needs the most; it may be the second or third time someone needs help that is the most critical, and if you have been fair and square with a Mormon businessman, that honesty can count for far more than the bottom line in your checking account or your references.

You don't have to be a brother to win their respect at all. But a person has to show their respect back in full measure, or they won't pay it forward any more. And that's about as honest as any good person ever needs.

They are a lot less sanctimonious than other religions I can mention, but won't, and they are no more judgmental than any other faith.
One does not have to be LDS to be a close friend with any of them, and once anyone comes to know them, a person soon learns the Mormons are similar to all other religions- they have all the same shades of faith, from extremely fervent to completely non-religious.

Here in Idaho, they have largely created what is most notable to everyone who ever visits here- our politeness, our patience, and our friendliness. It is a large part of who they are as a people, and it's rubbed off on the rest of us.

Last edited by Sage of Sagle; 10-18-2015 at 11:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 11:48 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,840,763 times
This thread is about the influence of the LDS in Idaho. If you want to open a debate about the validity of the religion, that needs to go in the Religion subforum. For the sake of discussion, we all stipulate that Mormonism is a widely held and nationally recognized belief/faith/etc with deep roots in Idaho, and discuss from there.

Old 10-19-2015, 01:01 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
This thread is about the influence of the LDS in Idaho. If you want to open a debate about the validity of the religion, that needs to go in the Religion subforum. For the sake of discussion, we all stipulate that Mormonism is a widely held and nationally recognized belief/faith/etc with deep roots in Idaho, and discuss from there.
A very reasonable stipulation, Sage. I would rep you again if I could.

Old 10-21-2015, 06:47 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,442,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Well said, Camino!
I am not LDS, but I've lived among them all my life, and you described them honestly and fairly.

The thing about living in Idaho and the LDS church is: They live everywhere in this state. In all corners, top to bottom, and have been here ever since Salt Lake City was built. Mormons were some of the very first white men to populate all of the Far West except for Oregon, and even there, they were a large pioneer presence.

For the Mormons who live here, their religion is old hat. They are nothing more or less than any other long-established religion, and they do not have the zeal of a tiny minority of recent converts here. In fact, Idaho would not be as conservative as it is without their influence in everything here. In fact, Raul Labrador, our 1st District Representative, is LDS, as is Mike Simpson, our 2nd District Representative, and both of our Congressional Senators.

This too, is old hat. The Mormons are no more solid politically than other religions that are mostly conservative. Mormon Democrats have also been elected here to Congress, and our Governors have been at least half LDS over our history.

The side most folks never hear about is the religion's generosity. It is one of the major tenants of their faith, and Mormons as a group are always among the very first to show up wherever a natural calamity occurs, like a hurricane, a tornado, a flood, or anything else. They never come to promote their faith, they always come to help. They come with organization, too. And committed resources. The Red Cross depends on them, and when their job is done, they leave and come home.

This is just as true for a newcomer or a neighbor as it is with their national efforts. Your story is anything but unique, Camino… it happens every day here, in some way or other. An Idaho Mormon has had my Presbyterian back more times than I can count, and as a group, they are more likely to give a stranger a fair shot than any other religion I'm aware of.

If a stranger proves up and honors his commitment, then he's good from then on. Oftentimes, it's not the first help a person needs the most; it may be the second or third time someone needs help that is the most critical, and if you have been fair and square with a Mormon businessman, that honesty can count for far more than the bottom line in your checking account or your references.

You don't have to be a brother to win their respect at all. But a person has to show their respect back in full measure, or they won't pay it forward any more. And that's about as honest as any good person ever needs.

They are a lot less sanctimonious than other religions I can mention, but won't, and they are no more judgmental than any other faith.
One does not have to be LDS to be a close friend with any of them, and once anyone comes to know them, a person soon learns the Mormons are similar to all other religions- they have all the same shades of faith, from extremely fervent to completely non-religious.

Here in Idaho, they have largely created what is most notable to everyone who ever visits here- our politeness, our patience, and our friendliness. It is a large part of who they are as a people, and it's rubbed off on the rest of us.
This was very good, Mike. The Humanitarian Center in Idaho Falls, sponsored by the LDS Church, I believe allows anyone to volunteer. It would be so awesome to have some see how the different churches wor together over here.

The Humanitarian Center makes "Comfort Kits" and other. These are distributed throughout the world where they are needed. They are also stock piled in the U.S. and maybe Canada, IDK. But if people in the U.S., and that is ALL people should have disaster hit, the LDS Church is, like you mentioned, one of the first volunteers on the scene. They played a huge role in Katrina, with residents living in churches. Some moved to Eastern ID because jobs were promised and living quarters provided. I met one of the men who moved to Idaho Falls to start again. He came as a Baptist, I think, and left with the same relugion. He and his family were so grateful for the chance to get their lives back on track.

MSR

Old 10-21-2015, 06:53 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,442,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS454ElCamino View Post
This is a great post MSR. [MOD CUT]
I have to say without them My family would have never survived the transition of moving here.
I had 3 house payments in the bank when I pulled the plug on my 27 year old business, and moved from southern Ca. to NID
I did not know a single person here,
Don't have any relatives here, and
Didn't have a job here. I started literally back up from scratch, and have found them, and there friends to be reasonable to work for.
I am as busy now after a little less than 2 years, as I was after 27 in Ca.
The fact that there is a thread devoted to this as if they are some kind of negative would be laughable if it weren't so outrageous.
I for one am not going to sit back, and let it happen anymore.
Good for you, ElCamino. I got one of my degrees at the University of Utah. I've had LDS roommates. I can't allow some to spew here. I do think Katzpur has created a thread in the Utah forum that is more useful than this one. It explains a lot about Mormons and allows posters to ask questions. There is no arguing. I think people learn that way.

It will help to hAve others post here such as you, El Camino

MSR

P.S. Thanks for your comment about my post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho