Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 12:19 PM

445 posts, read 1,331,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Annette Jane said: First I have not been on this site for a long time, I want to answer the replies to my opinion:

I answered a simple question, which was ' Are there bigots in Idaho' my answer was "YES" I lived back in that time in New York State and if asked was there bigots there I would answer, " Yes' ............

What we were doing there was retail automotive consulting throughout all of Idaho, you seemed surprised that Blackfoot and other rural areas in Idaho would have any business other then medical, or are you questioning my opinion by suggesting I was never in Idaho?

I found the LDS to be a very closed minded group, in particular in their church, business and personal lifes, we ate at the local places, went to the local bars lived in the local motels and got to know the people in the towns and in the dealerships very well.

My opinion stands!

Idaho like everywhere else at that particular time in the late seventies that we worked had bigots, in Idaho it was the same, JRP
Hmmm, the late seventies....Thank you for your stirring input, Annette Jane. It's always a freakin' thrill to read someone's historical recollection of "back in the day".

Now, nearly 40 years removed from your memory, let me assure you that things are much different in Idaho in 2010. My opinion!

pimit2 (Bob)

Old 07-07-2010, 01:28 PM

84 posts, read 234,315 times
aww... I usually agree with you pimit, but I have to partially disagree.

As a black man in Idaho, if you leave the populated places, and you go out into the sparsely populated areas, you can reasonably expect to see the looks, the hand covering the comments that you're not supposed to notice, and everything else. I'm sorry, but ID is simply a mostly white area, and vastly so. You're going to see it there sometimes even today.

Having said that, the vast, vast majority of those people who look at you and whisper behind their hand aren't actually racist, they're just curious We do have the hillbilly redneck kids that have passed a racist attitude down for generations, but they're rare, and most people would stare and whisper because the issue of race has never come up for them. It's still "new" so to speak.

My fathers second wife came with two kids, and Seth, the younger, was black. Black black. We all stuck together, so I got to see all the looks and comments (with some "extra" stares and comments thrown in because of the "milkman effect", admittedly) but nobody ever went redneck or skinhead on us, and that was in the late 70's early 80's, and as pimit said, it's gotten WAY better nowadays

Please, by all means, visit, move there, bring your friends. It's safe, it's tourist friendly, and the more diversity you can bring to visit the better it will get.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:45 PM

29,231 posts, read 22,482,021 times
The curiosity thing was very true, Aelwero. I grew up in Idaho Falls at a time when there were only 2 black families here, and that was it. I remember well how curious the white kids were about them, but there was no hostility.
Both families have been Idahoans for generations, but both usually went back to their southern roots to find husbands and wives. The only large minority here when I was a kid were the Japanese-Americans, and a few long-established Mexican-American families.

Things have changed a lot here over the past 30 years. While the African-American population here still remains low, there are enough folks that the curiosity factor has faded away. The Latino minority here is now much larger than it was, and I think their arrival had a lot to do with the acceptance of other minorities here.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:19 PM

516 posts, read 377,150 times
Troll thread.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:55 PM

708 posts, read 1,820,695 times
don't move here....Im black and live in Lewiston...this town is not socially acceptable to blacks.....not to mention, the wages to work in this town is far less then washington, and Idaho is a "right to work state"..which means they can fire you at will.....think about it...we're moving back to ohio...my husband is white and he even feels the racism here.....DON'T DO IT

Old 08-03-2010, 09:27 AM

84 posts, read 234,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa12230 View Post
don't move here....Im black and live in Lewiston...this town is not socially acceptable to blacks.....not to mention, the wages to work in this town is far less then washington, and Idaho is a "right to work state"..which means they can fire you at will.....think about it...we're moving back to ohio...my husband is white and he even feels the racism here.....DON'T DO IT
I got an idea... let's take the select group you interact with at work and extrapolate it out to the entire state and makea blanket statement about folks from lewiston and Idahoans in general.

Your attitude does not help your case much IMHO. I don't see much difference between "cityism", "statism", and racism.

Specific details, such as what stores, people, places, that you see racism in, specifically what happened that is racist, by all means post them, and you're likely to find more support than you expect from all them "durned white racists", but to say "don't move to Idaho if you're black" is just sad and racist in itself. My condolences on your bad experience, but I find myself incapable of feeling any sympathy for racists, and that unfortunate closed mindedness on my part sadly prevents me from trying to help them or even be nice to them.

If you worked for me, and you brought that attitude to the table, you'd be leaving the table with it immediately. Just sayin.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:58 AM

516 posts, read 377,150 times
Yeah, everyone I know here wears white robes and goes out for midnight cruises looking for people to hate on...

Old 08-03-2010, 10:39 AM

2,223 posts, read 3,890,122 times
But, aelwero, it isn't always possible to cite specific instances of racism.

Let me say upfront that I don't think Idaho is particularly racist. We've worked hard to get rid of the likes of Richard Butler and his neo-Nazi's. I am proud of that. And, I've not seen obvious racism where I live in North Idaho. I don't hear racial epithets, don't see people being ostracized, etc. But racism isn't always obvious, and isn't always a black or white issue (poor phrasing, I know). It is frequently in shades of gray.

Racism can be very subtle. Todays racism rarely comes in the form of a brick through the window or a burning cross on the lawn. It shows up in such issues as inability to assimilate, denied opportunities, ostracizing and on and on.

I am a white anglo saxon protestant. I have little experience with racism directed at me. But I have experienced sexism. Yet, it was subtle enough that I didn't realize it until someone else pointed it out to me after the fact.

I said up front that I don't think Idaho is particularly racist. I stand by that. I don't think Idaho has any more problems in this area than other states do. That doesn't mean it is nonexistent. I wouldn't deny someones experiences of racism in the area, and I recognize that racism can exist even when specific incidents can't be listed.

[quote=aelwero;15314381]Specific details, such as what stores, people, places, that you see racism in, specifically what happened that is racist, by all means post them, and you're likely to find more support than you expect from all them "durned white racists", but to say "don't move to Idaho if you're black" is just sad and racist in itself. quote]

Old 08-03-2010, 03:03 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,864,031 times
We know ONE black guy in Sandpoint. That's it. He runs the F.A.S.T. sport training and rehabilitation program where pro and amateur athletes and people recovering from medical issues go to get better. They're a high end sports training program. TJ is professional, down to earth, and engaging. Everyone we know likes TJ and people who have been there have nothing but good to say about the large improvements they've seen working with him and his staff. NOBODY CARES THAT HE'S BLACK. He's just "TJ from FAST"...and he happens to be black, the same way I happen to be tall. To remain on the correct side of logic, I cannot say racism doesn't exist in North Idaho because I'm not omnipresent nor omniscient. However, I can tell you that the one black person I know it town doesn't seem to have any issues making friends, finding work/clients, or interacting with the general public.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:28 PM

13 posts, read 28,319 times
I go to Boise once or twice a year. I am white, my wife is African-American. Though I could live in Boise, she would not want to, just because there are virtually no blacks. However, I think in Boise at least blacks wouldn't be likely to have problems per se--but they might feel the oddness of being literally 1% of the population. However, there are ways you could do alright. Remember, many white people want a chance to show they are not prejudiced, and it is easier not to be when one is an overwhelming majority. In a strange way, that helps make things easier for a minority, though still socially in an odd position. But, my guess is if one is friendly, shows they are a good citizen, etc. they will win most Idahoans over. I would also recommend finding a local church, if you are so inclined--there are many LDS, but also a good number of Catholics and evangelicals. Getting in with folks there helps reinforce the "home values" ideals Idahoans, like most people, admire. There is also a Black museum (small) in Boise--maybe asking a new acquaintance to accompany you there, etc. could break the ice (yes, going there might be a stereotype, but it would create a natural bridge). Taking a like in things they like--outdoor activities, BSU or U of I football, etc. would help. Most in Boise are crazy about BSU football, so if you can take it, buying a shirt or bumper sticker, learning about the team, etc. would help too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho