Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 08:56 AM

7,379 posts, read 12,670,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpltlc View Post
I am originally from New Orleans, certainly a majority black city. Most of my friends were black, both then and subsequently in the army. Here, we have people of color visit, and from cultures all over the world. While I cannot speak to how anyone is treated in southern Idaho, in our neck of the woods, tolerance is par for the course.
glptc,
Interesting to see you include some additional personal info in your article which I read on Sandpoint.net a while back: I'm sure some of our other posters have also recognized the article and your style!

A picture isn't always worth 1000 words, because it only captures a moment, not a general trend, but even so, I think this one is worth at least a couple hundred words, about the lack of racial tensions in NID ! Taken August last year at City Beach, Sandpoint:
Attached Thumbnails
Is Idaho safe for a Black Man to visit or even move to for that matter-lake-pend-oreille-friends.jpg  

Old 10-12-2009, 07:16 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,744,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJRuek
I wouldn't move to Priest River, but Sandpoint is okay. Yes, there are Aryan Nations; yes, there are White Supremicists; yes, there are racists. The latter, however, are pretty much the average type of idiot you'd find anywhere. There is much less racism here than there is in the South. And we do have an anti-hate/anti-prejudice group that's quite active. Sandpoint is only interested in money: if you have money, they'll treat you like you're royalty. If you don't, don't expect the welcome mat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriverranch View Post
Actually, Priest River is pretty open-minded, which kind of surprised me when we moved here. There are bi-racial, black and hispanic families here and they are well accepted.
I wanted to add to this: At homecoming last weekend, a black teenager was elected Junior Prince on the Homecoming Court. Must not be too racist in the schools, since the student body elected him. It's nice to see.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:42 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,979,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
glptc,
Interesting to see you include some additional personal info in your article which I read on Sandpoint.net a while back: I'm sure some of our other posters have also recognized the article and your style!

A picture isn't always worth 1000 words, because it only captures a moment, not a general trend, but even so, I think this one is worth at least a couple hundred words, about the lack of racial tensions in NID ! Taken August last year at City Beach, Sandpoint:
I dunno... the kid in camo trunks looks pretty volatile, and that red-head off the portside appears to have his own scheme at hand.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:01 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,287,688 times
Race as a determining factor of social engagement comes in varying degrees. Some of the markers are as follows.

1) On one end of the scale is pure curiosity.
2) Then comes avoidance (passive disengagement if you will).
3) Then comes funny looks and suspicions.
4) Then comes banter based on experience and intimacy
5) Then comes finger pointing or laughing; private mocking
6) Then comes negative verbal engagement; open mocking
7) Then comes physical confrontation.
8) At the extreme, there is intentional and premeditated violence.

When I lived in upstate NY, I witnessed (5). I was shocked. It was downright ugly and cowardly.

In NID, race seems to be confined to (1) to (4). (1) many have no interaction with other races and are curious. (2) You avoid what you do not know. (3) You still are curious and do not want to engage, but you now push to get closer and get into observation mode. (4) You have engaged, say as a work colleague, and you are close enough to throw around come friendly (or at least non-aggressive) banter.

You may see (5) once in a blue moon, usually from pure cowards, the kind who talk up a big storm and then shut up quickly in mixed company. And (6) are next to impossible to see, save for when media press the issue by shining the spotlight on a couple of losers.

But as for (7) to (8), these are not the domain of the "Great White North" (Eastern WA & OR, ID, MT, Dakotas, Northern Minn, VT, NH, Maine). Rather they are features of the liberal industrial North, the PC atmosphere of the coasts, and the continued racial issues of the South, especially in its poorest urban and rural pockets. Interestingly, these racially charged areas feature considerable far more violence committed by Blacks against Whites rather than Whites against Blacks. But both stats pale in comparison to Black-on-Black crime. The reasons for this are numerous and very complicated but safe to say as much to do with poverty, break down of families, drug trade, and the legacy of institutional racism.

But given the predominance of Black-on-Black violence, one would think that places like Idaho is actually an ideal escape rather than a place to be feared!

S.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:04 AM

66 posts, read 150,464 times
It's amazing how important it seems to be for some to continue to foster the false stereotypes of those that live in, or choose to move to North Idaho.

I currently live in a semi rural area in Southern California, that many here refer to with some of the same cliches as they do about N. ID. Yet there are several black families that live within a mile or so from me, including two within 400 yards. If you ask them why they moved here, they respond with the same reasons I do. To get away from the crowds and traffic, and more importantly, to get away from the violence and crime of the urban areas.

Why does a handful of morons, who've been responsible for less total violence than occurs on single days in many urban cities, seem to be such a focus for some?

Old 11-10-2009, 11:56 PM

6 posts, read 23,114 times
Thumbs up Color in the Gem State....>

I live in Lewiston Idaho. I've lived here ALL of my life (nearly 50yrs). There are very few Black people who live here. I guessing that the majority of those here are in some way affiliated with our State College (L.C.S.C.). I, myself would feel somewhat uncomfortable living in any community where I'd be the minority, I just think that's human nature. It's really not that bad HERE...but some of the outlying communities, places like Orofino, Pierce, etc....I'd stay AWAY from. The further you get away from any town big enough to have a Walmart the more redneck mentality your going to encounter. It's just the way it is around here. Sad, but true. Next: The Aryan Nations question: True....years ago just North of Couer D' alaine (I ALWAYS spell that wrong!!!) in the area around Hayden Lake Idaho they had a genuine encampment up there. It was the REAL DEAL. Those guys were scary. They've since been run outa town, literally! Their fearless leader died of old age and bitterness. So relax in terms of skinheads running about painting KKK on your car or anything.

Next: You mentioned L.A.P.D. officers retiring to our State because it's white as a sheet here.....well, concerning that: The ONLY one I've heard of is the infamous "Mark Furhman" from O.J. trial fame (the I never used the "N" word guy). He lives in the Sandpoint area and has his own talk radio show based out of Spokane Washington, but I'm certain his talk forum isn't how to keep all the blacks in California or anything silly like that. Sure, he's a controversial guy, that goes without saying, but he's not some dirty harry out to rid Idaho of minorities.

In a nutshell, I'd say COME ON UP! You'll find 90% of people here open-minded enough to let you live in peace and accept you for who you are! Stay in cities of at least 30,000 (use the Walmart guage...lol!) and you'll be fine.

Moscow Idaho, home of the University of Idaho would be a great start, so would be Boise. But if you gonna move up North (Lewiston and above) I'd not go further North than Coure D' Alene (how DO you spell that again?!) That's RANDY WEAVER country up there....(remember him?).

Take care.....

Gray Rock.

RELAX, come live in peace in one of the most beautiful states in the nation! I for one, WELCOME YOU!

Old 11-11-2009, 10:38 AM

1 posts, read 8,855 times
Smile Hi Guy Racists do exist

We have one retired Lapd detective that I've heard about, and we all know that the lawyers dragged him thru the mud just to get a killer off. now, We used to have white supremacists in northern Idaho, but they were sued, and lost the compound. The leader has since died, so there are no groups in the spot light. As far as safety goes you would be quite safe in normal conditions. I used to live in Ga. for two years, and yes there is racism a plenty. but it is a two edged sword. I find that the Blacks I knew in Ga. were very racist, and I would not go out of my way to be friendly. The blacks I know in Idaho are great, and even doing fine in our state. I have had to deal with Some blacks who were from California, and they have that attitude. So in sumnation they suck!!! So if you do come to Idaho, then leave the attitude home, and be equals with us.
Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT 3000 View Post
I've read about the white supremacist groups that were congregating in Idaho and I would like to know if I visited your state would I have need to worry about my safety or is this mainly media hype making a bigger issue than what it really is, I've read about retired L.A.P.D. officers moving to your state saying they wanted to get away from minorities, I know racism comes in all colors and it is everywhere and that the majority of Idahoans don't think like that, I live in Georgia so I know about racism but seeing how Idaho is majority white does that make it seem worse than it is from a black man's perspective.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:53 AM

1,067 posts, read 2,979,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by handiman11 View Post
So if you do come to Idaho, then leave the attitude home, and be equals with us.
Dennis
Very important to note. If someone tries to act like a bad stereotype (and an unfortunately notable many who try to bring the "hard" gang mentality up from SoCal do just that!), it's not only obnoxious to most everyone on many petty levels, but many people who value a transcendent moral paradigm consider it an insult to the very essence of humanity. Once that's understood, one can't be surprised when the physical manifestation of that insult gets treated like a subhuman. That said, one comforting thing I can offer is that those with such a reprehensible mentality are hated equally, regardless of race or even ethnicity.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:36 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,522,848 times
I grew up in Oakland, CA and now live in the Idaho Falls area and regardless of race you are without a doubt much safer here.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:23 AM

2 posts, read 9,101 times
First I have not been on this site for a long time, I want to answer the replies to my opinion:

I answered a simple question, which was ' Are there bigots in Idaho' my answer was "YES" I lived back in that time in New York State and if asked was there bigots there I would answer, " Yes' ............

What we were doing there was retail automotive consulting throughout all of Idaho, you seemed surprised that Blackfoot and other rural areas in Idaho would have any business other then medical, or are you questioning my opinion by suggesting I was never in Idaho?

I found the LDS to be a very closed minded group, in particular in their church, business and personal lifes, we ate at the local places, went to the local bars lived in the local motels and got to know the people in the towns and in the dealerships very well.

My opinion stands!

Idaho like everywhere else at that particular time in the late seventies that we worked had bigots, in Idaho it was the same, JRP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho