Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 08:32 AM

1,396 posts, read 1,190,136 times

Advertisements

Moving to Idaho 15 years ago I drive only through Nampa when going to Calif. so only every 2 years and it used to be a western/cowboy horse country and 2 years ago going through the downtown I was surprised at how much it changed. Probably within 2 years it will be more like Little Mexico/Miniature L.A.
You never even heard of gangs there and drive by shootings. People are complaining about the valve of their homes going down. Its really too bad that area was farmland, cute farm houses, horses, lots of farm animals. Right off the freeway it looks a little strange theres an elk farm big 6-7 point bulls, much better to see in the wild. These are in between Boise and Meridian I believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2007, 10:03 AM

15 posts, read 59,976 times
I moved from a rural area in Ann Arbor Michigan to Cottonwood. I have a pension and 401 k after working 30 years for a utility. New friends, strange people are where ever I go whether mich, or arizona. Yes I am a snowbird and no I am not going to lose all my savings going back and forth either. You just have to know your limits on what you can or cannot do and stick to it...its called having a plan.
I love the small town atmosphere of cottonwood (which is changing rapidly with the influx of "transplants" of which i am one) and always have liked living in rural areas. If you love blue skies, not having to use a snow blower and fighting below zero wind chills then I think you would like arizona. Cottonwood has its problems with the kids as any community does that doesnt put money into recreational facilities to keep there minds busy, their butts off the street and out of trouble. These problems (drugs, crime) are caused by people who do or do not vote because they are tightfisted with their money and dont want the higher taxes for education and recreational facilities. however what i have found is that you pay now or pay later and by that i mean you pay for their upkeep when incarcerated. Meals, exercise facilities, cable, healthcare, education ect...while in prison.

Old 01-05-2007, 10:34 PM

20 posts, read 125,442 times
Warningvoice, I agree.. there are some towns that even if you are just moving from 30 miles away, you are an outsider...

Old 01-20-2007, 03:13 AM

7 posts, read 27,513 times
Quote:
As a life long resident of Idaho now for over 40 years, I have to say that most if not all of the people I personally know that have moved into my area of the state (Twin Falls) have just been families looking for something better for themselves and thier kids.
Thank you. Only 7% of people living in CA can actually afford to buy a house in CA. You can make a list of all the reasons and motives for Californians moving to Idaho, but the bottom line is moving out of CA buys you a higher standard of living and more financial security (peace of mind).

Old 02-15-2007, 07:32 AM

3 posts, read 8,850 times
Default Escape from Los Angeles

Sandy,
The city that I am talking about is Omaha, Nebraska. I am sure that not too many people would want to move there, especially if they cannot tolerate cold and snowy winters and humid summers. When my parents came back from their trip there with one of my uncles, my Mom said that she would consider moving back there if her health would have allowed her to do so.

Old 02-16-2007, 06:19 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,557,411 times
Good luck with your move to Omaha, Steve! I agree that not too many people would want to move there; I'm one of them. I have no tolerance for high humidity or heat. But if you can be happy there, wonderful! I'd love to know how it goes once you're there for a while, because it's such a huge change.

Old 02-17-2007, 10:17 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,370,058 times
WarningVoice, well done post. I live in a rural area in NE GA. I drive 20-30 mins to get to a grocery store 30-40 to the big box stores. I COOK my food and rarely eat out. My downside is again the weather but just the oposite after the middle of April and sometimes before we have near 100% humidity with hot hot hot weather and of course major thunderstorms and tornados. I feel fortunate that this winter has been what I consider cool and just right (low 20's at nite and mid 40's to low 50's during the day) and others consider fridged. We don't need to snow plow but bushhogging pasture during our growing season (long) would replace the snow plow. Then during the "winter" we need to cut back the encroaching vines (good ole Kudzu and scuppernog) before the bug and snake seasons start.

Idaho is one of the areas I'm looking at, I already have taken a huge cut in pay to live in a rural area...is it worth it...you betcha.

Your post is a fair warning to those who think living in those beautiful remote small towns will be the same as living in a more metro setting. All is a trade off. For me to have a small tract of land and a small cabin/cottege for me and my cats, dogs and horses is heaven.

Old 02-18-2007, 10:36 AM

1 posts, read 3,658 times
[quote=Twinkle Toes;60664]What a neat post Warning Voice!!! I am a Californian moving out of California - but not to Idaho. I was just checking out

Hi - we are into dancing also, could I ask what city you have set your sights on. wendy

Old 02-19-2007, 12:21 AM

777 posts, read 3,198,820 times
Great post warning voice. Lots of good responses too. I have read all 18 pages on this ID forum, as you can probably tell by my "read" count. Between ID, MT, and WY, I have done a lot of reading here.
Lots of food for thought.
Oh BTW, I will not be living off of my equity, when I sell my Ca. home, but am hoping to have a decent 10% down payment when I do move.

Old 02-25-2007, 01:46 PM

174 posts, read 430,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarningVoice View Post
I've seen it before. ..............................
I don't want unhappy neighbors struggling to survive. It doesn't always happen to the other guy. Sometimes it happens to you.
How is the job availability for shrinks and alcohol/drug counselors? How much do the 'rooted locals' pay for antidepressants?

If its that grim up there, why don't you move [back] to California?

Now that you have managed to paint the portrait in gloom, lets hear what you really think about being happy in a less than urban setting. PS...I'm from Texas, so I'll know if you're telling the truth!

BTW, although we now DO live in No Cal, its pretty damn rural.....2 1/2 hours to a town with a large (? +/-) shopping area, two local markets, one good, one -fair, 2 hardware stores, both ACE ( ), and ZERO culture. We get our culture on Satellite TV, or out of a book.

Not trying to come up grouchy, but we need to get out of this state, and somewhere comfortable, not 'nuevo-rural', or 'quasi-country.'

And you think that the meth labs have beat everyone there? S**t! You should see the toothless goofs around NoCal...the counties almost give 'signing bonuses' to the really decrepit and 'per diem' to the successful meth-head thieves! But HEY, its only tax dollars!

Did you know that the farmers around here that used to use 'illegal aliens' to pick their berries can't get help? Its because the "Mexican Mafia" has offered 10 times more $$ to the pickers to pick pot instead of veggies. Look up "Humboldt County Pot Growers" or "Mendocino Marijuana Farms" on google.

So, you can't claim the corner on druggies. I have to believe that you come in a distant number from the 'top ten' as far as crime stats go.

But, what do I know. I'm just an old ex-prison employee, drug counselor and prospective rural resident.

Last edited by middleoftheroad; 02-25-2007 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: add info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho