Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 03:55 PM

18 posts, read 87,724 times

Advertisements

How true-you hit it right on the head!! My affluent brother and his overeducated, judgemental wife have been considering moving somewhere and buying a home-without a house payment-and living some great fantasy life. If they did move to a small town the locals would hate their "better than" attitude!! They would be miserable without a McDonalds, Walmart, mall on every corner. I will try to copy your message and send it to them. It describes their plan to a T!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2006, 09:01 PM

70 posts, read 267,634 times
You know Trishyj, in a way I feel sorry for people like that. It's almost like they're mentally handicap. HAHA I bet they park there regardless. Totally oblivious to reality. Unfortunately, as long as there are other people who can raise their children. They will continue to multiply and ***** up more perfectly good states.

Remember, they have not one... but two faces.

Wow! I'm getting a little brutal here. Sorry.

Johnny Quest

Old 09-04-2006, 11:47 PM

313 posts, read 834,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyQuest View Post
Currently I'm just N. of Santa Rosa. I've lived all over California.

I like the desert climate. Hot & dry with plenty of sunshine all year round. Unfortunately the housing market is a joke. We have been researching and traveling all over looking for that special place. I know its out there. And no, I'm not asking for much. Just good people and a productive city. Idaho is quite beautiful. I know theres always bad with the good no matter where you go.

'Tami - How far east did you go? Have you settled down yet?

Johnny Quest
We went through Twin Falls and East to Pocatello, North to Idaho Falls and then back south through Malad City and into Utah. We have decided on the Idaho Falls- Blackfoot area and are looking for a rural property. Twin Falls is pretty and there are some gorgeous areas (most of it, haha!) between there and Pocatello. There was just something about the IF area. We are not there yet, but we can't wait to be. We were hoping to be out there this summer but my hubby is a full time student, graduating in March. He was suppost to be in all online classes for his last 9 months but it looks like they are getting rid of the online option for now. We are stuck now until he is done. We also have to try to coordinate the sale of our home without knowing if we will be lucky and have it sell quickly or if we will be one that will be on the market for months without any one hardly even looking at it!

Quote:
GetNurse, remember all the faults run through CA. I don't blame Idaho for bashing Californians. Most of them need an attitude adjustment anyway. They already screwed up Arizona and Nevada.

BTW... Starbucks is over rated and over price. I make better espresso at home.

You know its a matter of time when there will be no place to go. Although, New Zeland is looking pretty good right about now.

Johnny Quest
lol. Ditto! I am so hoping that Idaho will be nothing like Ca!

I don't like Starbucks either. Used to drink it but it was always bitter. We had JavaEspress out in Idaho Falls while we were there and OMG it is awesome!! There is also a location in Twin Falls and they are yummy as well. Now I will not drink Starbucks at all!

Last edited by Marka; 09-05-2006 at 01:58 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 09-05-2006, 12:50 AM

Sounds great 'Tami. I hope you both do well there.

I was looking into IF for awhile. Still not sure. Planning to spend some time at both locations. TF does offer high speed internet and since designing websites is what I do, the service plays a vital role. Cable One dot net says they have 5mb service. That would do well for me. IF as well.

I know the CA market is dead right now. But then you never know. Unfortunately we don't own a home. And theres no way I will be able to here. Thanks again CA. But I can definately own one in Idaho.

My dream. Owning a home. Waking up to a bowl of Johnny Quest Latte. Go out side and pee in the snow. kidding.

Old 09-05-2006, 10:45 PM

313 posts, read 834,276 times
Quote:
Sounds great 'Tami. I hope you both do well there.

I was looking into IF for awhile. Still not sure. Planning to spend some time at both locations. TF does offer high speed internet and since designing websites is what I do, the service plays a vital role. Cable One dot net says they have 5mb service. That would do well for me. IF as well.

I know the CA market is dead right now. But then you never know. Unfortunately we don't own a home. And theres no way I will be able to here. Thanks again CA. But I can definately own one in Idaho.

My dream. Owning a home. Waking up to a bowl of Johnny Quest Latte. Go out side and pee in the snow. kidding.
Thanks! I hope you find what you are looking for!

Cable One seems to be pretty big out there. I know our realtor uses it as well as many others that I have seen listed on the MLS. I think the rates were pretty good when I was looking at that as well. I don't think that it will be an option for us. That is one thing that is going to be hard to give up. My hubby does computer programming but I don't think that he [i]needs[i] high speed for that. It's nice for cruising the internet tho!

Well, hopefully the market is picking up a little. My Aunt's realtor said today that he has seen a little spike in home sales. Her house has been on the market since May, I think, and has had like 5 showings. We got incredibly lucky with being able to buy our house. We did not think that we would be able to. There is no way that we could sell our house and then buy one a little larger for our growing family. We'd be stuck in our starter home probably for the rest of our lives if we were to stay here.

Our dream is to own a home with some land. We don't like being so close to our neighbors. Give us some elbow room and some land for our kids to explore! Can't wait!!

Old 09-05-2006, 11:50 PM

63 posts, read 362,720 times
This is breaking news from the local Boise newspaper:

Boise-Nampa market No. 2 in home-price growth in 2nd quarter, national report says

Treasure Valley home values in the second quarter were up 29 percent from the same quarter a year ago, resulting second-fastest rate of increase in home prices among metropolitan areas in the nation, according to a federal report released Tuesday. Bend, Ore., was first.

Among the 50 states, Idaho finished third, with a 20.14 percent increase from spring 2005 to spring 2006. Average Idaho home prices have risen 55 percent in the past five years and 229 percent since 1980, the report said.

Nationwide, however, the increase in home prices showed the biggest slowdown in three decades.
“These data are a strong indication that the housing market is cooling in a very significant way,” said James B. Lockhart, director of the Office of Federal Housing Enterprise Oversight, which released the study. The office oversees the big mortgage-finance companies Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

“Indeed, the deceleration appears in almost every region of the country,” Lockhart said.

The federal report said second-quarter home values in the Treasure Valley rose 5.64 percent, which translates to an annualized rate of 22.56 percent. Idaho’s quarterly rate of 3.78 percent translates to an annual rate of 15.12 percent.

Average U.S. home prices rose 1.17 percent in April, May and June, compared with 3.65 percent in the second quarter of 2005 — the biggest decline in price growth since the government started keeping track of home prices in 1975, the report showed. The agency cited higher interest rates and rising inventories of homes for sale as possible reasons.

Old 09-06-2006, 12:01 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,275,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StampinTami View Post
Thanks! I hope you find what you are looking for!

Cable One seems to be pretty big out there. I know our realtor uses it as well as many others that I have seen listed on the MLS. I think the rates were pretty good when I was looking at that as well. I don't think that it will be an option for us. That is one thing that is going to be hard to give up. My hubby does computer programming but I don't think that he [i]needs[i] high speed for that. It's nice for cruising the internet tho!
Yes, before I went from dial up to high speed I talked to others and they all preferred Cable One over the phone company or any others. I'm on it and have never had any outages

Old 09-06-2006, 08:38 PM

cleosmom.
What part of Idaho are you located. I'm still trying to research where the service areas are for Cable One internet.

Thanks
Johnny Quest

Old 09-06-2006, 08:46 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,275,852 times
Quote:
cleosmom.
What part of Idaho are you located. I'm still trying to research where the service areas are for Cable One internet.

Thanks
Johnny Quest
Southeast, near Idaho Falls

Old 09-09-2006, 03:00 PM

436 posts, read 682,287 times
JohnnyQuest you might like central Arizona. As an example, you can still buy homes in Cottonwood for $165,000 - $200,000 and the location is central to everything.

You can try to change people's attitudes till you're blue in the face, but folks will continue to blame Californians for their woes. If non-Californians were the principle benefactors of inflated home equity wealth would the whining stop?

New Zealand? How do you get NZ citizenship? Many visitors love what they see north of Auckland. Just a pipe dream living there though.

Last edited by brian_2; 09-09-2006 at 03:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho