Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 05:35 PM

788 posts, read 4,069,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
What a neat post Warning Voice!!! I am a Californian moving out of California - but not to Idaho. I was just checking out other cities to see what was going on. We are probably an exception - we did a huge amount of research before we chose to move where we are moving to. We are getting away from the negative aspects of California and moving to a place where there is a lot of things we enjoy doing. For instance, my kids and I are competitive ballroom dancers. Where we currently live, there is no dancing so we have to drive at least an hour and a half to get to a social dance. Where we are moving to there is dancing within 10 minutes of our home and not just on Saturdays only! That in and of itself will be like heaven for us!!! We also work in a profession that does not require we live in any particular region of the country. Another thing is, not all Californians are as financially "unsavvy" as you described. Some of us actually have a head on top of our shoulders - and we use the brain inside of that head!

But you did bring up a lot of really great things for people to think about. In our case, the whole family is moving to the same state - just not all at the same time.

Good post!
I am a californian looking to leave also, so I am curious as to which city and state your family has decided on and why--your response would really help my search. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2006, 12:04 AM

313 posts, read 834,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingcali View Post
I am a californian looking to leave also, so I am curious as to which city and state your family has decided on and why--your response would really help my search. Thanks!
I am not the person that you quoted, obviously , but I am in Stockton just down the road from you (saw your location in another thread). We actually have been looking at the idea of moving out of Ca for atleast 4 years. We would just look at different areas as we thought about it. We looked at OR and WA because I did not want to go too far from Ca because of family and I do have some family in OR and WA. We decided no to both because of different reasons. My hubby suggested ID and I said "no way!" so we looked at TX and AZ. We decided no to those because of the heat and other reasons. He suggested ID again and I said "no". So, I started looking in ID a couple of years ago just to look. I liked what I saw. We were actaully looking at Twin Falls over to Pocatello and then south from there. I had said no to the Idaho Falls area. We took a trip to UT last summer and decided to go up to ID just to check it out. I was curious but was still saying no to it. We had originally planned to just go through the areas we were really looking at because we were short on time. We decided to head up to IF just to see. As soon as we got there we really just had a feeling that we were home. We went back last Dec, the week before Christmas for an entire week. We fell even more in love with the area. We can't wait to be there but we are stuck here til atleast March due to my hubbys schooling.

We looked at different things that we are interested in. We want a smallish town, a nice sized piece of land, friendly community, decent shopping- but we're not picky on this one, job opps and decent house and land prices.

We have been doing a ton of research. At first I used this site a lot (before the forums were here!) and then I looked at other sites as well. Best Places dot net, lets you compare different places to each other. It includes a lot of things like religion, voting, crime and much more. Early on I found retirement living dot com and there was some useful info there. A site that I just found a few months ago is find your spot dot com. We were already sure about ID at that point but I tried the quiz thingy and the IF area came up in my top 5 places. It might give you a better idea of what you are looking for and pin point some areas to look in to? The IF area better be our "spot" cause I don't plan to move again! Good luck!

Old 09-03-2006, 01:09 AM

70 posts, read 267,707 times
Default Don't admit it.

I am a California native. I have traveled to many places looking for that nice quaint town where I can find some real friends and offer my skills to the community. The funny thing is that I usually don't admit I'm from here because it has such a screwed up reputation. This state is full of greed and hatred. Theres no one I can call a close friend. Most (not all) people here are so 2 faced. They will smile and laugh then cut you off on the freeway and give you the finger.

I hear Idaho is much friendlier. My wife and I will visit next Spring.

Johnny Quest

Old 09-03-2006, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyQuest View Post
I am a California native. I have traveled to many places looking for that nice quaint town where I can find some real friends and offer my skills to the community. The funny thing is that I usually don't admit I'm from here because it has such a screwed up reputation. This state is full of greed and hatred. Theres no one I can call a close friend. Most (not all) people here are so 2 faced. They will smile and laugh then cut you off on the freeway and give you the finger.

I hear Idaho is much friendlier. My wife and I will visit next Spring.

Johnny Quest
I hate having to admit that I am from Ca also! I don't have any close friends and ones that I have had, did just that. I am hoping to meet some nice people when we finally get to move! So far when we have been there, the people have been very very friendly! We started out talking to people and when they would ask where we were from, they were surprised when we would say Ca. A lot said we would fit right in...I'm hoping so! Not every one from Ca is like what we are thought to be like (haha, if that makes any sense...its late!). I think that people from the valley area and No Cal are completely diff from the people from So Cal and the Bay Area. Not every one is the same and what people see on TV is not what we are all like. Hopefully they won't judge us before meeting us. Have a great trip out there!

Old 09-03-2006, 08:09 PM

2,156 posts, read 11,158,454 times
I know someone who had dreams about living in the scenic and clean beauty of Northern Idaho and moved out there. well, it hasn't been all peaches and cream but that person seems to be quite satisfied with Idaho and won't be leaving.

Old 09-03-2006, 11:15 PM

Default N. Cali

Hey 'Tami
People in N. California just have a harder time trying to figure out which is the middle finger.
I have always enjoyed the desert. (Nevada - Arizona) But the housing market has become way out of control even in the small town areas. Since my work consists of high speed internet access, I am limited to where we can move in Idaho. Twin Falls has interested me the most. But I need to research as much as possible before making the trip to spend time and mingle.

Johnny Quest

Old 09-04-2006, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyQuest View Post
Hey 'Tami
People in N. California just have a harder time trying to figure out which is the middle finger.
I have always enjoyed the desert. (Nevada - Arizona) But the housing market has become way out of control even in the small town areas. Since my work consists of high speed internet access, I am limited to where we can move in Idaho. Twin Falls has interested me the most. But I need to research as much as possible before making the trip to spend time and mingle.

Johnny Quest
lol, unfortunately we see that middle finger quite a bit around here now days. Where are you in Ca? We were looking at Twin for awhile but we liked it better as we went east. I do not like NV much and I thought that the Twin Falls area was kind of like NV (but better!) as far as looks go. JMO. It is a pretty area tho as well...just not for us. I have never been to AZ to compare. Good luck on your search!

Old 09-04-2006, 11:19 AM

Default Here and there

Currently I'm just N. of Santa Rosa. I've lived all over California.

I like the desert climate. Hot & dry with plenty of sunshine all year round. Unfortunately the housing market is a joke. We have been researching and traveling all over looking for that special place. I know its out there. And no, I'm not asking for much. Just good people and a productive city. Idaho is quite beautiful. I know theres always bad with the good no matter where you go.

'Tami - How far east did you go? Have you settled down yet?

Johnny Quest

Old 09-04-2006, 01:33 PM

2 posts, read 7,393 times
Having left N. Idaho (Post Falls to be specific) 10 years ago this weekend, I have to say that I miss it greatly. We now live in the Minneapolis are, and I hate it here - far too many people, taxes that are through the roof and more liberals than you can count (but that's changing!). I'd move back to PF in a heartbeat, even with all the changes that have occured since we moved.

When we lived in Post Falls, there were barely 7500 people, and now the population has more than tripled; from what our friends there tell us, it's becoming like California - huge increase in housing prices, crime, etc. Think twice before you move to N. Idaho - yes, you will be held accountable for every conceivable problem. Rain on your wedding day? It's a Californian's fault. Takes you 20 minutes to drive from CDA to Liberty Lake? It's a Californian's fault. Be prepared to not have a Starbucks on every corner, or the amenities you are used to. Salaries are lower as well. But I can think of no other place that I've lived that afforded my husband and I the opportunities we had! We ended up building our first house, our kids were born there and we made some great friends.

Good luck with your quests, but please, do your homework, visit the area you intend to move to first and don't expect N. Idaho to be like SoCal!

Old 09-04-2006, 03:45 PM

Default Word

GetNurse, remember all the faults run through CA. I don't blame Idaho for bashing Californians. Most of them need an attitude adjustment anyway. They already screwed up Arizona and Nevada.

BTW... Starbucks is over rated and over price. I make better espresso at home.

You know its a matter of time when there will be no place to go. Although, New Zeland is looking pretty good right about now.

Johnny Quest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho