Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2020, 08:41 PM

16,565 posts, read 10,665,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMT View Post
Moscow was gorgeous, but man buns with masks walking alone outdoors everywhere.
Moscow is home to the University of Idaho, so this might explain the man buns. I don't think it's what the OP is looking for. The area around Sandpoint is also quite beautiful, but it's out of the OP's price range. In my opinion, Northern Idaho is by far the prettiest part of the state. But sadly, the long winters and high prices take it off the table.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2020, 10:15 PM

17 posts, read 36,663 times
Wow, how kind of you to look for these places to help me out!! I will look into this little house in Nampa, and some of the others that fit my needs well enuf. Much, much appreciation!

Old 09-07-2020, 09:02 AM

32,672 posts, read 48,139,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormqueen View Post
..... the options in Idaho are looking pretty minimal; what I'm looking for just may not be there, ........

It sounds to me like you would make a good citizen of Idaho, but unfortunately, our prices are going up and up and there is no end in sight. An $800 apartment right now, might be a $1,000 apartment in just a couple of years and if your income is fixed, that should be something that you consider.

There are mountains in the eastern states and if you get back away from the ocean, prices can be pretty reasonable. Perhaps look at a map at where the mountains are and then pick some areas to the west side of those mountains and see if there is an area there with pretty mountains, less snow, and lower real estate prices.

I know landlords back east who are getting $300 a month for their rentals. I don't know enough about it to know whether they are places that would be nice to live, but it sounds like they are smaller towns. Rent is low because there is little work, but you don't need a location where you can get a job, so employment is not an issue.

I wish you luck and wish I could help, but honestly, the area I live in, your income won't pay for even a small apartment.

Old 09-07-2020, 09:16 AM

2,022 posts, read 3,201,029 times
You might want to look at Tennessee around the Cookeville/Crossville area on the Cumberland Plateau. There are many smaller surrounding communities there where I believe the rent should be in the price range you’re looking for.

Cookeville has a college but from what I have read it’s not a rowdy type of college at all. Conservative. There is a regular poster on that forum who is very informative and helpful. Good luck!

https://www.city-data.com/city/Cookeville-Tennessee.html

https://www.city-data.com/city/Crossville-Tennessee.html

Old 09-13-2020, 02:42 PM

783 posts, read 843,095 times
Pocatello area seems more affordable both to rent and/or own.

It does have a college that seemed to sprawl all over a large section of part of the town. Not many masks outside which indicates a more moderate mindset to me (this is the case where I currently live). The parts of the city I drove through seemed cramped...it is in a very pretty little valley and the roads and parking seemed really tight to me...hence the one way roads I gather...but I think I was in the old section of downtown...

The college type of housing available seems very affordable when I looked online, maybe that could keep rents down...idk?

It does look like SE Idaho has some WINTER and WIND. I am used to that type of weather, but looking at the climate data, Pocatello might have more of it and also COLD. We hit freezing temps while camping near McCammon. Brrrr...

Honestly, if N Nevada was more affordable, you would love it here OP. Except for wind and some snow....but $800 probably isn't doable here any longer...

Wondering about Arizona for you since you like more moderate temps...like staying up in the mountains above Phoenix...not sure about the prices there...

Also, Utah? It seems more affordable and less winter?

Old 09-28-2020, 05:43 PM

11 posts, read 8,998 times
Default Idaho places to live

Stormqueen, I am in a similar position as you, as in looking to relocate within this state.

I returned earlier today from an overnight in Arco, where I drove by a "House for Sale" on CL, after of course speaking with the owner; aside from the posted images of the place, he gave me a real-time virtual tour of the place; however, he neglected to show the neighboring buildings, except for the one across the road. I turned down the sale because of its location.

Another was first posted on CL, and I also spoke at some length with the owner, so to have two options upon my visit: He edited his post to indicate the house was not suitable for habitation, and must be replaced. !

After selling my place near Sac in 2002, I bought a property in Emmett; I sold it in 2018. I am currently renting in Boise, and would be interested in exploring alternatives. This is a college town, and the current mayor has been working to make it more liberal.

Before opening this forum page and seeing your threads re Where to find a nice place to live, I looked into the SOR for another town I briefly visited. I would be willing to tell you experiences I have had in this state. I made the acquaintance of a broker last week, and he upholds his integrity in his business; he was kind enough to drive by the houses before I did, and gave me his professional (43 years) assessment; further, he offered to help me with the additional appraisals I locate. My intent is to purchase.

If you would like, and if allowed here, I would share either an email address or a phone number you can text. My daughter is in Indiana, and my husband is deceased. It's time for me to find someplace here I can happily call home.

Last edited by NoMossHere; 09-28-2020 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: typos: *2019 / *appraisals of subsequent properties I locate.

Old 09-28-2020, 11:07 PM

7,386 posts, read 12,689,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMossHere View Post
Stormqueen, I am in a similar position as you, as in looking to relocate within this state.

I returned earlier today from an overnight in Arco, where I drove by a "House for Sale" on CL, after of course speaking with the owner; aside from the posted images of the place, he gave me a real-time virtual tour of the place; however, he neglected to show the neighboring buildings, except for the one across the road. I turned down the sale because of its location.

Another was first posted on CL, and I also spoke at some length with the owner, so to have two options upon my visit: He edited his post to indicate the house was not suitable for habitation, and must be replaced. !

After selling my place near Sac in 2002, I bought a property in Emmett; I sold it in 2018. I am currently renting in Boise, and would be interested in exploring alternatives. This is a college town, and the current mayor has been working to make it more liberal.

Before opening this forum page and seeing your threads re Where to find a nice place to live, I looked into the SOR for another town I briefly visited. I would be willing to tell you experiences I have had in this state. I made the acquaintance of a broker last week, and he upholds his integrity in his business; he was kind enough to drive by the houses before I did, and gave me his professional (43 years) assessment; further, he offered to help me with the additional appraisals I locate. My intent is to purchase.

If you would like, and if allowed here, I would share either an email address or a phone number you can text. My daughter is in Indiana, and my husband is deceased. It's time for me to find someplace here I can happily call home.
Welcome to the forum! You can always send a member a direct message ( a DM) by clicking on their name, and then click on "Send a direct message" in the drop-down menu. No e-mail addresses.

Old 09-29-2020, 02:53 PM

5,589 posts, read 5,033,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMossHere View Post

I wouldn't trust anything reputable coming from Craigslist.

Old 09-30-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
I wouldn't trust anything reputable coming from Craigslist.
Right, caveat emptor, eh.

Old 09-30-2020, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Welcome to the forum! You can always send a member a direct message ( a DM) by clicking on their name, and then click on "Send a direct message" in the drop-down menu. No e-mail addresses.
Clark, TY for both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho